Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

1 hour ago, GingerSaint said:

Just seen that the Elephone S8 is £160 in red for some reason. How are you finding it @Mr X

Really happy with it. Its nice and fast and screen is really good. Couple of little niggles - it gets pretty hot whenever its lightly taxed, like watching a video or jumping between a few apps and the camera reaction time isnt great, quite a noticeable delay from pressing to actually taking the photo.

Battery life has generally been really good too, but I have a feeling its on the decline. Seems to drain the battery a lot faster then before with heavish use, although that could just be my imagination

• 1 month later...
On 24/08/2018 at 11:15, Tommy Nooka said:

There's a very good deal going at the moment for the P20 Pro on Vodafone at mobiles.co.uk, £100 upfront and £23pm for Unlimited calls & texts and 4gb data. It comes to £652 all in, you can't even buy the phone sim free for that.

But you can but an excellent Cubot, Doogee etc etc for under a £100 and get the same SIM  for a £10 a month saving you £200 ...so actually a shit deal , only morons would get a handset on contract these days.

Edited by Jdog

3 hours ago, Jdog said:

But you can but an excellent Cubot, Doogee etc etc for under a £100 and get the same SIM  for a £10 a month saving you £200 ...so actually a shit deal , only morons would get a handset on contract these days.

Whatever tickles your fancy but they look like bit shit to me, some people are just easily pleased. The P20 Pro is almost universally accepted as one of the best smartphones you can get, some folk might not mind paying £23pm for a phone that is effectively a top end compact camera too. 

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Whatever tickles your fancy but they look like bit shit to me, some people are just easily pleased. The P20 Pro is almost universally accepted as one of the best smartphones you can get, some folk might not mind paying £23pm for a phone that is effectively a top end compact camera too. 
It depends what you after I suppose, my Sims £7 a month for 6gb data and more than enough text & call time. I usually pay about £100 to £150 for a phone as you can get one with a decent camera and I usually look for best battery life. If you want to pay 3x as much for a phone that is slightly better then crack on.

There's a very good deal going at the moment for the P20 Pro on Vodafone at mobiles.co.uk, £100 upfront and £23pm for Unlimited calls & texts and 4gb data. It comes to £652 all in, you can't even buy the phone sim free for that.
I really would struggle without an all-you-can-eat mobile internet data plan. I've used 57GB of data already this month. Always use over 35GB at least in a month. The most I've ever used was 89 GB. Tend to watch a lot of movies and shows on my phone as I spend a lot of time away from home through work.

• 2 months later...

Gonna get easier in the very near future.

Xaomi opening a store in London on 10/11.

And they did a deal with 3 earlier in the year so phones should be available from them soon too.

* Elephone opened one in Morocco this week, give Mr X an excuse for a holiday if he wants a new charger :D

5 hours ago, Oooooft said:

Gonna get easier in the very near future.

Xaomi opening a store in London on 10/11.

And they did a deal with 3 earlier in the year so phones should be available from them soon too.

* Elephone opened one in Morocco this week, give Mr X an excuse for a holiday if he wants a new charger :D

:lol:

Im not sure if thats good news or not. Is it likely to just make the price of Xaomi phones similar to other manufacturers?

ETA - not sure if Id go for another Elephone, to be honest. The phone itself is great but the after sales seems pretty poor and after being promised Android 8 for months its been confirmed that its not coming to the S8 :( 

Edited by Mr X

Xaomi already make phones that retail for £700+.

Just hope 3 stock a large range, but with a shop here hopefully aftercare will be too.

Might even get 3 pin fast chargers with luck.

I don't think your Elephone not getting Android 8 is unusual for mediatek phones, my Umi and current Vernee failed on that score too, but from what I gather mediatek won't release the data for them to do it.

Does make me think "snapdragon" next time, but the price differential is worth it.

* take it you know how to get into the engineers mode to up the volume?

Oh.

And I think I finally got to the bottom of my Vernee X and EE B20 800mhz 4g.

Payg sim, it shouldn't get on, especially as not EE firmware.

But it has for over 6 months :)

Consensus is that EE recognise it as a mifi device, hence allowing B20 access tho not allowing VoLTE.

To me, that is worth a fortune otherwise I'd need to get expensive phone from the buggers, so a large Plus 1 for mediatek in this instance.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Xiaomi's UK launch was yesterday so I tweeted the guy running it.

5be5a2d94dc41_NewBitmapImage.png.8bef6b6028848ccef9b6066289eed573.png

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I read it as pretty much guaranteed price increases (for stuff I don't give a shit about). 

Edited by Big Fifer

Oh.

Bug bear of mine were the shitty 3 pin adaptors phones come with, always the 2 pin part hanging out, occasionally sparking etc.

Bought a new Travel adaptor yesterday in Boots for about six quid.

2 pin part fits snugly into it and stays in place.

Thoroughly recommend for anyone with a Chinese phone.

18 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

I'm still rocking my Bluboo Maya max but thinking of updating. Anything of a similar size round about a £200-250 range anyone can recommend?

Im still enjoying my Elephone S8 - its a noticeable upgrade on the Maya Max. However, it will probably cost half that now, so you should be able to pick up something better in that price range

Im still enjoying my Elephone S8 - its a noticeable upgrade on the Maya Max. However, it will probably cost half that now, so you should be able to pick up something better in that price range
It seems the Elephone S8 is dearer to buy now. £186 cheapest I can find. Great spec phone for the price though, as long as you're not a big camera user. Camera pics are decent quality but the slow focus speed is annoying when you're trying to catch a quick pic. Love the 2k screen though and after a year of use the battery life hasn't deteriorated that much.

It seems the Elephone S8 is dearer to buy now. £186 cheapest I can find. Great spec phone for the price though, as long as you're not a big camera user. Camera pics are decent quality but the slow focus speed is annoying when you're trying to catch a quick pic. Love the 2k screen though and after a year of use the battery life hasn't deteriorated that much.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I've found it too. Didnt realise the price was so high.