Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Looking for a bit of advice on a new phone for the auld man. He's asked me to look into a new phone for him as he has wrecked his Honor 9 Lite. 

Was looking at the Redmi Note 7 for him as it suits his needs (long battery life, decent camera, big enough display... basically all the standard stuff). 

Is it best to buy direct from Xiaomi or somewhere else? 

Looking for a bit of advice on a new phone for the auld man. He's asked me to look into a new phone for him as he has wrecked his Honor 9 Lite. 
Was looking at the Redmi Note 7 for him as it suits his needs (long battery life, decent camera, big enough display... basically all the standard stuff). 
It's cheaper getting it from amazon if you use amazon

I've got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and its a really good phone. The battery life on it is great, good camera and fast processor. My brother has a Xiaomi 7a and for the price it's actually pretty good. Cost him like £74 from Gearbest but what you get with it you'd expect on a phone that costs at least double. I would have no problem getting another Xiaomi. To answer your question, if you want it quick get it from somewhere like Amazon that was suggested but if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks try Gearbest or AliExpress and you will likely save yourself some £££.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the hunt for a decent tablet, not fussy with the brand. Budget of around £100, and size doesn't matter. My Samsung tablet ended up in the bath [emoji849] after a couple of days of drying it out in rice it's just not the same. Sometimes doesnt charge, will turn its self off unexpectedly ect and theres a bit of damage to the screen because of it.

Any help is appreciated.

18 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

On the hunt for a decent tablet, not fussy with the brand. Budget of around £100, and size doesn't matter. My Samsung tablet ended up in the bath emoji849.png after a couple of days of drying it out in rice it's just not the same. Sometimes doesnt charge, will turn its self off unexpectedly ect and theres a bit of damage to the screen because of it.

Any help is appreciated.

The amazon fire tablets are supposed to be decent. Unfortunately, you've just missed their Black Friday discounts

The amazon fire tablets are supposed to be decent. Unfortunately, you've just missed their Black Friday discounts
Aye I was tempted. The other half is getting me it for my birthday which is in a couple of weeks so I'm getting to choose one. She has the basic tablet and said it's not so good but the fire tablet is an upgrade.

Only use it for watching football/netflix/streaming.

I was looking at upgrading my contract to get a Huawei P30 pro, but I imagine there will be an alternative out there that has the same spec which is a lot cheaper to buy outright? Could anyone point me in the right direction? 
You can get the Huawei Mate 20 pro from O2 for £252 up front with a rolling Co tract which you cancel as soon as you receive the phone. I done it a few months ago with absolutely no hassle and it's a great phone for the money.

On 05/12/2019 at 10:19, sergie's no1 fan said:

On the hunt for a decent tablet, not fussy with the brand. Budget of around £100, and size doesn't matter. My Samsung tablet ended up in the bath emoji849.png after a couple of days of drying it out in rice it's just not the same. Sometimes doesnt charge, will turn its self off unexpectedly ect and theres a bit of damage to the screen because of it.

Any help is appreciated.

By coincidence, I decided to get a tablet and figured Black Friday was as good a time as any. Really wanted a Mi Pad 4 (a bit of a Xiaomi fan boy, nice to see some love for Redmi phones here) but they just won't sell them officially here, even via the Mi store as far as I could see. 

Didn't want anything for heavy use - reading books, music, bit of surfing - so eventually went with this: http://www.teclast.com/en/zt/M89Pro/ Got it from Amazon for 80 quid, although can't find it there now for some reason (90 on ebay); add a case and 128GB card and it was about 100 altogether. 

Literally only had it out of the box to charge and put in the card, but the screen is very decent, and it seems well put together. 

• 2 months later...

Appreciate getting things out of China might be harder than normal at the moment, any recent recommendations? Was using the Umidigi F1 but after a year and a bit the battery now won't charge past 79% regardless of what charger & cable I use. So not urgent but probably need something relatively soon.

Can't go wrong with Xiaomi phones. You should also check out their sub brand Redmi. IMO they are excellent value for the money. The spec you get will smash anything in the same price bracket over here. I have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and could not be happier with it. Their Redmi 8/ Note 8/Note 8 Pro is their latest models in that range but they have lots of others as well. Oppo is another brand worth checking out.

I had this problem before. I solved it by draining the battery fully. When the phone shut down, I restarted it again and kept doing so until the phone wouldn't power up at all. Then I charged it fully without turning it on and it charged to 100%. Might not work for you, but might be worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/02/2020 at 14:36, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Can't go wrong with Xiaomi phones. You should also check out their sub brand Redmi. IMO they are excellent value for the money. The spec you get will smash anything in the same price bracket over here. I have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and could not be happier with it. Their Redmi 8/ Note 8/Note 8 Pro is their latest models in that range but they have lots of others as well. Oppo is another brand worth checking out.

Got the Note 7 Pro as well, great purchase. 

• 1 month later...

My old, second hand iPhone 5S (yes really) gave up the charging ghost during lockdown so I decided to get it to patch it and go for the Redmi Note 8T instead, which I got on an Amazon Warehouse deal for £135. Only had it for a day but safe to say it's a significant upgrade and with far better spec than even the second hand models in that price range. 

Had slight buyers' remorse after seeing the HONOR 9X selling for £200 while waiting on delayed delivery but I'm happy with my choice now that I've got the phone and the significant price difference. After the 5S I doubt I'll be challenging the capacity of this model for a while anyway.

• 6 months later...
On 28/04/2020 at 21:42, virginton said:

My old, second hand iPhone 5S (yes really) gave up the charging ghost during lockdown so I decided to get it to patch it and go for the Redmi Note 8T instead, which I got on an Amazon Warehouse deal for £135. Only had it for a day but safe to say it's a significant upgrade and with far better spec than even the second hand models in that price range. 

Had slight buyers' remorse after seeing the HONOR 9X selling for £200 while waiting on delayed delivery but I'm happy with my choice now that I've got the phone and the significant price difference. After the 5S I doubt I'll be challenging the capacity of this model for a while anyway.

Hmmm.

Not sure of the Note 8T, but the 8 & the 8 Pro are going to get the Android 11 based Miui update at the start of next year. They weren't expected to.

You may have a nice surprise.

Hmmm.

Not sure of the Note 8T, but the 8 & the 8 Pro are going to get the Android 11 based Miui update at the start of next year. They weren't expected to.

You may have a nice surprise.
I've got the Redmi Note 7 Pro. I doubt it'll get an Android 11 update. Currently on 10 but was surprised when I got the MIUI 12 update recently, so you never know.