Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Had to go to the Dark Side , just to get signal at the house.

So One Plus 6T it is then. £500.

I'm going back to my Vernee X for my work, I far prefer it to the One Plus, but the £500 phone works at the house on an EE contract on band 20, which the Vernee does not.

* I have 4 EE PAYG Sims, one lets me on band 20 with the Vernee but PAYG is far too expensive for data so I had to do it.

** Things you learn....EE contract only works on ipv6 so I've had problems getting on some websites not up to that protocol yet. 3 contract, no bother.

On 01/03/2019 at 11:11, Mr X said:

Not come across any screen overlay issues, sorry. I assume you've tried googling it? Sounds like a general android issue rather than something on the Maya Max

I went back to a contract phone last year, so not really up on the newer chinese models. Theres a few other posters who are, though, Im sure someone has some recommendations. Or have a look through the last few pages of the thread

Do you two think the Xiaomi is a decent deal compared to the Cubot one I already ordered?  It's in stock so can get it asap but will cost me around another £50. @YER SISTERS YER MAW

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009689470153.html?wid=1349303

2 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Do you two think the Xiaomi is a decent deal compared to the Cubot one I already ordered?  It's in stock so can get it asap but will cost me around another £50. @YER SISTERS YER MAW

That seems like a good deal for the Xiaomi, considering the 3GB ROM 64GB RAM version is only £11 cheaper. I came across this deal earlier for the Ulephone Power 3S .  The reviews look positive, with a 6350 mAh battery. :o For the promotion price until the 4th March, it seems like a no brainer. Unfortunately it's £143 at Gearbest just now, so don't know if it's too late to cancel your order with them. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8Mg6Z_ytw

3 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

That seems like a good deal for the Xiaomi, considering the 3GB ROM 64GB RAM version is only £11 cheaper. I came across this deal earlier for the Ulephone Power 3S .  The reviews look positive, with a 6350 mAh battery. :o For the promotion price until the 4th March, it seems like a no brainer. Unfortunately it's £143 at Gearbest just now, so don't know if it's too late to cancel your order with them. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible alternative.

Thanks.  GB have mentioned ordering an alternative from them but not a refund.  I could push for one but wouldn't expect it to be done by the 4th. Nice battery size on that Ulephone.  might just pay the extra for the Xiaomi rather than wait for the Cubot 19.  Replied to GB earlier asking how quickly they could dispatch it and chanced my luck asking for a discount on the Xiaomi if I change from the Cubot order.  The maya max I have is on it's last legs, can't even send texts so could do with replacing it asap.

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Thanks.  GB have mentioned ordering an alternative from them but not a refund.  I could push for one but wouldn't expect it to be done by the 4th. Nice battery size on that Ulephone.  might just pay the extra for the Xiaomi rather than wait for the Cubot 19.  Replied to GB earlier asking how quickly they could dispatch it and chanced my luck asking for a discount on the Xiaomi if I change from the Cubot order.  The maya max I have is on it's last legs, can't even send texts so could do with replacing it asap.

Worth a try mate, nothing to lose. At least you've had your monies worth out the Maya Max. Still got my Elephone S8 and very happy with it. Loving the 2K  6" screen.

On 02/03/2019 at 15:02, Boostin' Kev said:

On 02/03/2019 at 18:05, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Worth a try mate, nothing to lose. At least you've had your monies worth out the Maya Max. Still got my Elephone S8 and very happy with it. Loving the 2K  6" screen.

I completely forgot about the Elephone S8 :lol: :ph34r: Definitely worth considering as an upgrade to the Maya Max

Put me down as another advocate for the Pocophone F1.

I've had it for two weeks now. So much more space, I've kicked the arse out of the battery and still had plenty of juice to spare.

For £325 (I got the 128gb storage version), it's great value for  money.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

I completely forgot about the Elephone S8 [emoji38] [emoji185] Definitely worth considering as an upgrade to the Maya Max
Hard to come by now as it seems to be discontinued model, although you can still get them on eBay for £255.[emoji33] So hard to get a phone with a 16:9 ratio screen these days, so I'll be hanging onto mine for as long as possible.

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Hard to come by now as it seems to be discontinued model, although you can still get them on eBay for £255.emoji33.png So hard to get a phone with a 16:9 ratio screen these days, so I'll be hanging onto mine for as long as possible.

Really? I have one sitting on my desk at home

ETA - meh. Pre-owned ones arent going for very much

Edited by Mr X

On 02/03/2019 at 17:53, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Is this the Ulephone you suggested?  Priced at £121 just now.  GB still don't have the Cubot in stock so need to order an alternative and was thinking about the Xiaomi that I posted earlier. You think the Ulephone would be a better option? 

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1596531.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail

On 3/2/2019 at 18:05, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I've still got my Elephone S8. Battery going strong after about 8 months of very heavy usage and, like you said, the screen is great and I don't think I can go back to a small screen phone. Only concern is my GPS is temperamental when using Maps which isn't ideal because I only use Maps when I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Overall unbelievable value for the £160ish I paid for it.

Is this the Ulephone you suggested?  Priced at £121 just now.  GB still don't have the Cubot in stock so need to order an alternative and was thinking about the Xiaomi that I posted earlier. You think the Ulephone would be a better option? 
https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1596531.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail

You're better using the UK website; https://m-uk.gearbest.com
Aye, that's the one. Doing a comparison of the specs, Ulefone has a 6350mAh battery compared to the 4000 mAh on the note 6, has a slightly faster CPU with the P23 rated at 2.0ghz to the Note's Snapdragon 636 which clocks in at 1.8ghz. Both have same RAM/ROM. The Ulefone also has fast charge 4 but can't see that listed with the Note 6. Slightly bigger screen on the Note at 6.26 compared to the 6" on the Ulefone. Camera's are hard to judge. 13+5mp front camera /16+5mp rear on Ulefone and 20mp+5mp front/ 12mp+5mp rear on Note 6, so I'd say better front camera on Note and better rear camera on Ulefone. The Ulefone also has Face ID recognition. If it were me I'd probably choose the Ulefone but Xiaomi are obviously the better known brand. I did buy a cheap Ulefone for my mum for Xmas past and for the price it's been entirely fine.

I've still got my Elephone S8. Battery going strong after about 8 months of very heavy usage and, like you said, the screen is great and I don't think I can go back to a small screen phone. Only concern is my GPS is temperamental when using Maps which isn't ideal because I only use Maps when I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Overall unbelievable value for the £160ish I paid for it.
Aye the GPS can be a bit temperamental. I downloaded GPS test app from playstore and it seems to have helped it with it's accuracy.

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

You're better using the UK website; https://m-uk.gearbest.com
Aye, that's the one. Doing a comparison of the specs, Ulefone has a 6350mAh battery compared to the 4000 mAh on the note 6, has a slightly faster CPU with the P23 rated at 2.0ghz to the Note's Snapdragon 636 which clocks in at 1.8ghz. Both have same RAM/ROM. The Ulefone also has fast charge 4 but can't see that listed with the Note 6. Slightly bigger screen on the Note at 6.26 compared to the 6" on the Ulefone. Camera's are hard to judge. 13+5mp front camera /16+5mp rear on Ulefone and 20mp+5mp front/ 12mp+5mp rear on Note 6, so I'd say better front camera on Note and better rear camera on Ulefone. The Ulefone also has Face ID recognition. If it were me I'd probably choose the Ulefone but Xiaomi are obviously the better known brand. I did buy a cheap Ulefone for my mum for Xmas past and for the price it's been entirely fine.

Thanks. Got in touch with GB about availability of both phones, will go with the Ulefone if that's in stock.

I've got the Umidigi F1, got it a few weeks ago, it's pretty decent, comes with Android 9 as standard tho since the last OTA  firmware update I've had to go back to the stock launcher as it was crashing Nova and Lawnchair any time you tried to open the recent apps option.  Only other issue I've had is screen casting video to TV outside apps (e.g. not using BT sport app, but watching a downloaded video on phone but casting it to screen) is choppy.

Battery supposedly 5150mah, don't think it's quite that big but you certainly get a full day out of it no bother. It's not one of the giant phablet ones but it's plenty big enough for me.

I've got the Umidigi F1, got it a few weeks ago, it's pretty decent, comes with Android 9 as standard tho since the last OTA  firmware update I've had to go back to the stock launcher as it was crashing Nova and Lawnchair any time you tried to open the recent apps option.  Only other issue I've had is screen casting video to TV outside apps (e.g. not using BT sport app, but watching a downloaded video on phone but casting it to screen) is choppy.
Battery supposedly 5150mah, don't think it's quite that big but you certainly get a full day out of it no bother. It's not one of the giant phablet ones but it's plenty big enough for me.
Looks nice. Good body to screen ratio, plenty storage too. Interesting to see it has a 19.5/9 screen ratio. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems quite unique for a smartphone.