Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Who's that, I still thought they were Finnish owned?

The telecoms part still is, mobile 'phone part is under Microsoft and HMD Global. Think HMD only bought the rights to use the brand name. Not really sure how they split between Microsoft and HMD t.b.h.

I wonder if this big Chinese import tax fraud using fake invoices that was on the news today will have any effect on future purchases from the likes of Geatbest, etc? I've been lucky so far purchasing goods from Gearbest. Ordered a phone and two Kodi boxes from them and have avoided paying any import tax.

Is the OnePlus 3T a bit over priced then? I've got an LG G4 at the minute and i'll be looking to upgrade shortly and that's what i'd been looking at. I'd prefer something with a big screen and comparable to most of the European flagships spec wise. Any other recommendations? 

Flash sale on Gearbest, might be time for me to go for it.  Is the Maya Max the one to get do you guys think??

You'll find it hard to match a phone with the spec of the Maya Max in it's price range IMO. It's really hard to pick fault . Maybe the camera could be a bit better, but that's about it.

You'll find it hard to match a phone with the spec of the Maya Max in it's price range IMO. It's really hard to pick fault . Maybe the camera could be a bit better, but that's about it.

Can only agree. The camera ain't bad, per se, but it is a bit fiddly to use. Decent pic quality though.

Thinking of going for this. Will it work fine with EE? Particularly 4G. I can't make sense of the website on Gearbest re frequencies.

Thinking of going for this. Will it work fine with EE? Particularly 4G. I can't make sense of the website on Gearbest re frequencies.

The Maya max definitely does. I had an EE PAYG and now have a BT mobile sim, which uses the EE network. I've got 4g on both no bother.

There's a link a few pages back to a website that shows what frequencies the UK networks use. I found it easier to start with that and cross reference the gearbest page, rather than the other way around

Depends on bands.... It is capable of the 800hz 4g , but most phones get no network support. This only matters if like me in the sticks, or if you have a chance of carrier aggregation for faster download. Mines won't connect to 3 network 800mhz , but 'may' have on EE sim. Check the digital spy thread on EE https://forums.digitalspy.com/categories/mobile-phones

6 hours ago, punk_dfc said:

Thank you very much both. Think I'm likely to take the plunge.

No bother

This is the site I used to check network compatibility

http://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

As you'll see, it lists the frequencies the different networks use for 2G, 3G and 4G so its nice and easy to check if you're phone supports the frequencies for the network you want to use. Its not really relevant for the Maya Max as it supports all the frequencies used in the UK, but a handy page to keep

Thanks both. Really appreciated. Have had an LG G5 that's been on its last legs since October (my own carelessness), but packed it in last night. Was waiting for it to do so before ordering something.

Anyhow, have ordered the Maya Max and looking forward to getting it. Stuck in my contract for a bit, but assuming all goes well, it will be SIM only going forward.

Mr X , only problem with that site, is that it tells you phone 'can' do it, not that it will. As stated, network support re VoLTE is needed for 3, perhaps EE, and no cunto cares re O2 or Voda. If you have a 800mhz VoLTE capable phone on 3, it will not connect. Unless spyphone, couple of Samsung's, an LG, perhaps the new over priced ones 'that they sell'.

^^^ your phone will connect to other 4g bands if available, just the VoLTE issue on 800 MHz. Go for it punk, you will be astounded by the value for money....and lack of bloatware. They are disposable at these prices....

1 hour ago, Njord said:

Mr X , only problem with that site, is that it tells you phone 'can' do it, not that it will. As stated, network support re VoLTE is needed for 3, perhaps EE, and no cunto cares re O2 or Voda. If you have a 800mhz VoLTE capable phone on 3, it will not connect. Unless spyphone, couple of Samsung's, an LG, perhaps the new over priced ones 'that they sell'.

Isnt VoLTE support patchy anyway at the moment? Punk was asking about data