Lowland League comparison

Franky Frankopolous

Not sure what the executive summary would be on that? Personally think the key thing for outsiders to Scottish football to grasp on this is that the goal of later round Scottish Cup participation has always been one of the major highlights of the season for the nonleague seniors, while for junior clubs everything has revolved around the Junior Cup in that sort of regard. For nonleague seniors entry level licensing helps them to stay in the Scottish Cup after 2015, while for most junior clubs it would make no difference to how things have always been for them, so there is less motivation to take the plunge.

The interesting thing to watch at the moment is whether Linlithgow Rose and Auchinleck Talbot (who have played in the Scottish Cup often enough in recent seasons to miss it if they could no longer get in) are successful in their bids for bronze level licenses and full SFA membership and if so whether that creates a domino effect where other top junior clubs are concerned when it comes to upgrading facilities to secure icensing and automatic Scottish Cup entry, and as a side effect, the ability to be promoted to the HL/LL and SPFL levels.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 'gorilla in the room' within the system is really the SFA licencing issue.

.................. .................... ...................

That's my considered thoughts about various sub-topics in this thread. Please feel free to comment, commend &/or condemn! :)

All very interesting, but I feel you're avoiding the big question............. what level will Ross C(o)unty play at without floodlights :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The 'gorilla in the room' within the system is really the SFA licencing issue.

Incorrect. The gorilla in the room within the system is...

_55347441_doncaster.jpg

... Neil Doncaster (Gorilla Incompitus Cockwomblus).

It is normally to be found trailing its knuckles along the corridors of Hampden or sitting around in committee rooms with others of a similar species doing nothing much.

It's main diet is executive buffets, along with G&Ts. If these are not available, they have adapted to be able to phone in pizzas.

If feeling threatened, it makes loud grunting noises about "the big hoose must stay open!" and starts issuing memos about "footballing armageddon".

• 1 month later...

I made my Western league debut last week at Ashton & Backwell v. Shepton Mallet. Ashton lost 2-3, each had a man sent off. The Western is next below the Southern league covering the SW, Bristol type area. The night before I was at a Somerset cup game between Keynsham Town and Frome. That one was abandoned with about 15 to go as a keeper got a bad injury. Frome were winning 2-1. About 100 or so at each, decent standard of play. Keynsham was a new build, half seats, half standing, both had lights, obviously and good clubs and food.

I made my Western league debut last week at Ashton & Backwell v. Shepton Mallet. Ashton lost 2-3, each had a man sent off. The Western is next below the Southern league covering the SW, Bristol type area. The night before I was at a Somerset cup game between Keynsham Town and Frome. That one was abandoned with about 15 to go as a keeper got a bad injury. Frome were winning 2-1. About 100 or so at each, decent standard of play. Keynsham was a new build, half seats, half standing, both had lights, obviously and good clubs and food.

How's Walmington-on-Sea fc getting on, hope there's no need to panic?

Grimbo

• 11 months later...

Ticked a couple of Northern League boxes this week, Ryton & Crawcrook and Newcatle Benfield. 1st one was Division 2 and the quality wasn't great. Facilities out door were pretty basic. Seats and floodlights though and the club was good. Benfield was much better on all scores, unfortunately my jinx struck and it was abandoned for fog. Facilities at Benfield were excellent. Two seated stands, terracing, lights and a social club, although you couldn't watch the game from it, you could at Crawcrook.

Archived