Lowland League comparison

Franky Frankopolous

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Rose and/or Talbot apply to join the Lowland League, or were they not interested?

No Junior team applied. This has all been covered in a multi page thread which had traits of mud slinging about it too.

I would say the Lowland League at the top half of the table is probably comparable to the respective West/East Junior superleagues, though padded out with teams who wouldn't be remotely competitive at that level.

I agree with this. Went along to the Spartans v Vale of Leithen game with a guy from work last month and enjoyed it. The standard of football was no different to what I'm used to most weeks.

No Junior team applied. This has all been covered in a multi page thread which had traits of mud slinging about it too.

Well that was an education :blink:. Very informative. You'd need Machiavelli or the Borgias to sort it out. From the outside it looks like amalgamation of the senior and junior leagues will be needed for any fair pyramid system to emerge, retaining where possible current geographical boundaries. And the forced surgical removal of egos from a few of the blazer brigade from all factions.

Well that was an education :blink:. Very informative. You'd need Machiavelli or the Borgias to sort it out. From the outside it looks like amalgamation of the senior and junior leagues will be needed for any fair pyramid system to emerge, retaining where possible current geographical boundaries. And the forced surgical removal of egos from a few of the blazer brigade from all factions.

This is a local league, for local people. There's nothing for you here...

Don't think you can really judge the standard between the Lowland League and various English non-league teams purely on the result of a pre-season friendly match.

Sides up here are three weeks ahead of starting their season so usually three weeks ahead in the terms of preparation. Having said that, one of the clubs that have been mentioned Blyth Spartans have stuffed both Hamilton and Partick Thistle in recent seasons yet lost to East Stirlingshire. There isn't a lot you can read into in those terms.

I think you're way off the mark here, its junior football that has no credibility. Outside of it no-one has a clue what it is there for and why. It also has virtually no connection with the games governing body in this country. The football although effective at times, is horrific to watch. Your own teams hoofball performance in the scottish cup final made me want to switch off after 15 minutes, a hideous long ball game from the 70's. I can see why you wouldnt want to align yourselves with senior football as the way the teams play has absolutely nothing in common with professional top level. Hopefuly eyesore teams like Talbot will remain where they belong.

But then again we will be struggling to gauge the silky soccer set out by Spartans on national TV because.............?

Instead of posting aboot the lowland and juniors that you say you are neutral to,a high percentage of your posts are in favour of juniors. You posted something very similar on the juniors thread if I recall. Can you therefore find oot why they,Auchinleck,did nae apply since they "clearly should be in" ??? Then we can aw move on eh !

Talbot v Clydebank, Meadow, Rob Roy, Cumnock should answer that!

Yes and I had a friend next to me at that game and swears it was a fantastic game. As you probably know Talbot vary their game as all good teams can. Both teams on view that day would have had very little trouble dispatching anything the LL has got to offer. As for no one having a clue, ask down Gorgie I'm sure some of them will remember the twitchy bum the last time the Jam Tarts met a Junior team. Never mind, at least the Rose and Talbot can fly the non league flag in the Senior Cup with some aplomb again. Hope our respective teams meet, we can discuss how your up to date side couldn't cope with the hideous long ball.

That confirms to me that your friend has no care for any type of modern, attactive football and enjoys watching the sledgehammer version, that's fair enough, many scots fans do. I also am not saying Talbot would not win the LL, their football is effective as well as being horrific, and they probably would. But they would not be a great addition, we need clubs who want to move the game forward, are open to fresh ideas and are progressive, not those that play 70's hoof ball. The reason scottish football is in such poor nick as there are too many talbots sticking with these horrendous methods. In terms of embracing change and moving forward there is no comparison between LL teams and Juniors, there is only one winner.

If you think that in 2013 junior football is all 70s hoof ball, you clearly don't watch very much of it. This senior vs junior mentality is Judean People's Liberation Front vs People's Liberation Front of Judea stuff, basically. The real unspoken agenda at work here is that people fear that they would lose out in a merged structure in selfish self-interest terms. For Spartans that revolves around gaining promotion to the SPFL. In the LL as it stands now Spartans are probably going to be champions at least two or three times per decade, so odds on they will get into the SPFL at some point. Throw the top dozen junior clubs into the mix and it's far from inconceivable that they would never win the LL title and the limit of their horizons would revolve more around staying in the fifth tier.

That confirms to me that your friend has no care for any type of modern, attactive football and enjoys watching the sledgehammer version, that's fair enough, many scots fans do. I also am not saying Talbot would not win the LL, their football is effective as well as being horrific, and they probably would. But they would not be a great addition, we need clubs who want to move the game forward, are open to fresh ideas and are progressive, not those that play 70's hoof ball. The reason scottish football is in such poor nick as there are too many talbots sticking with these horrendous methods. In terms of embracing change and moving forward there is no comparison between LL teams and Juniors, there is only one winner.

Wooft, what a post and about the East Ayrshire Catalonians as well! Doubt you have seen much of Talbot or really actually think that. Would be good if our teams meet in the Scottish, Spartans being perceived as one of the better LL sides, you could then perhaps make a better fist at wind up! :P

Might have to expand your ground though should your club host such an occasion!

Wooft, what a post and about the East Ayrshire Catalonians as well! Doubt you have seen much of Talbot or really actually think that. Would be good if our teams meet in the Scottish, Spartans being perceived as one of the better LL sides, you could then perhaps make a better fist at wind up! :P Might have to expand your ground though should your club host such an occasion!

Why would the ground need to expand ?

Having read a few of your posts on the junior thread can you tell us what your fascination for crowds is Isa ?

Wooft, what a post and about the East Ayrshire Catalonians as well! Doubt you have seen much of Talbot or really actually think that. Would be good if our teams meet in the Scottish, Spartans being perceived as one of the better LL sides, you could then perhaps make a better fist at wind up! :P

Might have to expand your ground though should your club host such an occasion!

still missing my point completely.....i have already said talbot would probably win the LL.

Archived