Lowland League comparison

Franky Frankopolous

Yeah but I reckon the top part of the NL is ahead of the NWCL. Spendymoor, Darlo last year (ok not best to include them), Whitley Bay all better than Runcorn Linnets IMO

True, I suppose. I might know better next month. I'll be at my first NCEL game. Been at a few in NL.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I just point out that whilst certain blawbags never miss an opportunity to come to the Lowland League section looking to score points & girn about how feeble it all is in comparison to the Juniors, no one from the Lowland League forum has been going to the Juniors to do the same.

If it's all so wonderful, why are they spending time away from discussions over their land of milk and honey? You have to wonder whether it's all about trying to convince themselves more than others.

Isa, last year's Junior Cup final was a dire game of football. Not saying all jnior games are, but if you're using that as an example of the best of the junior game... Oh dear

Rose and Talbot were the best and would wipe the floor with most, probably all, LL teams, whether you think the game was dire or not. I was only pointing out that plenty including a neutral sitting next to me didn't share that opinion, it seems only those with a gripe induced by envy described the game as dire, it was neither dire nor brilliant and a case of two good teams nullifying for spells with instances of skill interspersed, the goal being one of them. Anyway, the initial question was about comparison, it seems that only those who support LL teams are allowed to forward an opinion, the original post was designed to attract posters to wax lyrical about the perceived standard of the 5th tier. It has no comparison due to the fabrication a result of the way it was inaugurated is an opinion and a perfectly fair one.

Rose and Talbot were the best and would wipe the floor with most, probably all, LL teams, whether you think the game was dire or not. I was only pointing out that plenty including a neutral sitting next to me didn't share that opinion, it seems only those with a gripe induced by envy described the game as dire, it was neither dire nor brilliant and a case of two good teams nullifying for spells with instances of skill interspersed, the goal being one of them. Anyway, the initial question was about comparison, it seems that only those who support LL teams are allowed to forward an opinion, the original post was designed to attract posters to wax lyrical about the perceived standard of the 5th tier. It has no comparison due to the fabrication a result of the way it was inaugurated is an opinion and a perfectly fair one.[/quote

Obsessed

Rose and Talbot were the best and would wipe the floor with most, probably all, LL teams, whether you think the game was dire or not. I was only pointing out that plenty including a neutral sitting next to me didn't share that opinion, it seems only those with a gripe induced by envy described the game as dire, it was neither dire nor brilliant and a case of two good teams nullifying for spells with instances of skill interspersed, the goal being one of them. Anyway, the initial question was about comparison, it seems that only those who support LL teams are allowed to forward an opinion, the original post was designed to attract posters to wax lyrical about the perceived standard of the 5th tier. It has no comparison due to the fabrication a result of the way it was inaugurated is an opinion and a perfectly fair one.

Not envious at all.

I am now forming the opinion that the league will be a better place without the arrogance coming from certain posters from the Junior fraternity. I'll support you in your attempt to get your team to remain as a junior club, I wonder if your committee will agree?

Other junior clubs are welcome to apply as on the whole they seem just like the rest of us. We already have enough arrogance from the Old Firm in Scotland we do not need another version in non-league football.

Not envious at all.

I am now forming the opinion that the league will be a better place without the arrogance coming from certain posters from the Junior fraternity. I'll support you in your attempt to get your team to remain as a junior club, I wonder if your committee will agree?

Other junior clubs are welcome to apply as on the whole they seem just like the rest of us. We already have enough arrogance from the Old Firm in Scotland we do not need another version in non-league football.

Jeez, you would rather not have a club in your midst, who's pedigree is unquestionable, on and off the park. Who would generate money with a sizeable travelling support. You would reject this due to the opinion of one supporter who has the audacity to be unimpressed by the LL. You have just made my point, your happy with the current set up convincing yourself that it is the fifth tier therefore must be good. BTW, you clearly don't understand my posts, I would be quite happy for Talbot to move into a new vibrant non league set up, but yes not happy for them to move into the LL.

Jeez, you would rather not have a club in your midst, who's pedigree is unquestionable, on and off the park. Who would generate money with a sizeable travelling support. You would reject this due to the opinion of one supporter who has the audacity to be unimpressed by the LL. You have just made my point, your happy with the current set up convincing yourself that it is the fifth tier therefore must be good. BTW, you clearly don't understand my posts, I would be quite happy for Talbot to move into a new vibrant non league set up, but yes not happy for them to move into the LL.

If the rest of your support is as arrogant as you, then yes I would be quite happy without Talbot. However if you are a maverick then let the rest of them say so as you appear to be the 'voice' of your club on here. You are not a good ambassador for your club. You are putting many supporters of current Lowland League off Talbot with your continual rhetoric about how you will destroy every team in sight. Not a good way to win friends and influence people.

Yes and I had a friend next to me at that game and swears it was a fantastic game. As you probably know Talbot vary their game as all good teams can. Both teams on view that day would have had very little trouble dispatching anything the LL has got to offer. As for no one having a clue, ask down Gorgie I'm sure some of them will remember the twitchy bum the last time the Jam Tarts met a Junior team. Never mind, at least the Rose and Talbot can fly the non league flag in the Senior Cup with some aplomb again. Hope our respective teams meet, we can discuss how your up to date side couldn't cope with the hideous long ball.

Sorry Euge, it was utterly rotten.

Sorry Euge, it was utterly rotten.

....and, so what? I am not sure what this general fixation with the entertainment value of last year's junior cup final is supposed to prove anyway. Two well-matched sides cancelled each other out for the most part and didn't turn it on the way they usually would given what was at stake. That can happen at every level of the game.

Would have thought in bigger picture terms that the media profile that is achieved by having a national final televised live before a crowd of 7000 or so would be the main talking point for those with an interest in pyramids along with the obvious question of why for some bizarre reason LL, HL, EoS and SoS clubs are still probably not going to be part of the mainstream national cup competition for semi-pro nonleague sides in the brave new world post-formation of the LL.

God forbid that Nairn County vs Linlithgow Rose or Bo'ness United vs Whitehill Welfare would ever happen in a game where both clubs ultimately have a genuine shot of winning the competition involved. The unified nonleague structure involved would probably mean fewer blazers after all and we can't have that so sod the concept of moving into the 20th century (not a typo) where football governance is concerned.

You would be happy to move into a vibrant league. But not happy to play in the LL .the LL is one month old how can you judge what the LL will become. The likes of you need to remember Talbot wont always be at the top of there league or a top team . So don't pre judge the LL you might be more than happy one day to be a member of it.

To be fair to Isa it's easier to judge the LL than it might otherwise have been when 9 out of 12 clubs come from the EoS League and 2 of the other 3 have also played in it in relatively recent times. From what I can see there is no extra money coming in from either the SFA or sponsors after the move to being the LL. Instead, there are added expenses associated with greater travel and in getting facilities up to entry level, so it's difficult to see how things are going to be much different from the old EoS premier in terms of playing standards, especially when some of the better clubs from that setup were left on the outside looking in.

That's not a recipe for what the LL has been billed as being (i.e. the best that the nonleague level has to offer south of the Tay). The participants in this season's LL definitely don't deserve all or arguably even most of the blame for that, but it would be good to see evidence of a greater desire to transform the LL into the league it should be in the years ahead rather than all the puerile it's ma baw and your no' playin junior vs senior stuff. Clubs like Auchinleck Talbot from the junior grade should clearly be in the LL if it is going to be genuinely fit for purpose as the fifth tier south.

To be fair to Isa it's easier to judge the LL than it might otherwise have been when 9 out of 12 clubs come from the EoS League and 2 of the other 3 have also played in it in relatively recent times. From what I can see there is no extra money coming in from either the SFA or sponsors after the move to being the LL. Instead, there are added expenses associated with greater travel and in getting facilities up to entry level, so it's difficult to see how things are going to be much different from the old EoS premier in terms of playing standards, especially when some of the better clubs from that setup were left on the outside looking in. That's not a recipe for what the LL has been billed as being (i.e. the best that the nonleague level has to offer south of the Tay). The participants in this season's LL definitely don't deserve all or arguably even most of the blame for that, but it would be good to see evidence of a greater desire to transform the LL into the league it should be in the years ahead rather than all the puerile it's ma baw and your no' playin junior vs senior stuff. Clubs like Auchinleck Talbot from the junior grade should clearly be in the LL if it is going to be genuinely fit for purpose as the fifth tier south.

Instead of posting aboot the lowland and juniors that you say you are neutral to,a high percentage of your posts are in favour of juniors.

You posted something very similar on the juniors thread if I recall.

Can you therefore find oot why they,Auchinleck,did nae apply since they "clearly should be in" ???

Then we can aw move on eh !

Have already posted why I think that happened on several occasions both here and on the junior subforum. The reality that the LL is supposed to contain all of the best nonleague clubs south of the Tay to fill the role it is supposed to be filling in a wider pyramid league structure isn't going to go away.

....and, so what? I am not sure what this general fixation with the entertainment value of last year's junior cup final is supposed to prove anyway. Two well-matched sides cancelled each other out for the most part and didn't turn it on the way they usually would given what was at stake. That can happen at every level of the game.

Would have thought in bigger picture terms that the media profile that is achieved by having a national final televised live before a crowd of 7000 or so would be the main talking point for those with an interest in pyramids along with the obvious question of why for some bizarre reason LL, HL, EoS and SoS clubs are still probably not going to be part of the mainstream national cup competition for semi-pro nonleague sides in the brave new world post-formation of the LL.

God forbid that Nairn County vs Linlithgow Rose or Bo'ness United vs Whitehill Welfare would ever happen in a game where both clubs ultimately have a genuine shot of winning the competition involved. The unified nonleague structure involved would probably mean fewer blazers after all and we can't have that so sod the concept of moving into the 20th century (not a typo) where football governance is concerned.

It was a horrendous game of football and the type of game Talbot play is brutal. Effective, but brutal.

It was a horrendous game of football and the type of game Talbot play is brutal. Effective, but brutal.

The reality that the LL is supposed to contain all of the best nonleague clubs south of the Tay to fill the role it is supposed to be filling in a wider pyramid league structure isn't going to go away.

Correct. It ought to contain the best clubs south of the Tay but it doesn't.

But that is not the fault of the current participants and I'm not sure why we are all being so tribal and defensive about where we play. Isa can be very dog-with-bone but he's not wrong that Talbot would have every chance of winning the current LL. And they would do so comfortably in my view (unless my own team were in it - in which case it would be a tad tighter).

My team have just beaten a highly rated HFL team today and deservedly so. Nairn have had a stuttering start but they have some excellent players at this level, a full time manager and some big wages and I thought we were comfortable throughout. From what I saw, we would finish near or top of the Highland League but that was only one game and we were at home.

We played Spennymoor 3 seasons ago and pumped them down there. They are better now and so are we. So I'd say we would compete easily enough at that level and so would the better teams in the LL.

What would a Pollok fan know about football unless he was blessed with a very good memory? Pollok have been a horrendously poor side for the past couple of seasons, and the Bot steamed, reamed and dry cleaned (TM James Ellroy) them only a few weeks back, despite the fact they are supposedly on the rise, at least until the money from the sale of their social club runs out.

Anyway, enough Pollok baiting, to the matter in hand. It is pointless trying to compare non-league football in Scotland to a comparative grade in England unless you have encyclopaedic knowledge of the respective grades, and with very few exceptions, most posters on P & B will be ignorant of the lower leagues in England.

I would say the Lowland League at the top half of the table is probably comparable to the respective West/East Junior superleagues, though padded out with teams who wouldn't be remotely competitive at that level.

Archived