Lowland League comparison

Franky Frankopolous

Fairly certain the eos select have given a good account of themselves against THE conference (not north or south) in recent years. the conference is a full time league which could probably compete with the spl.

The conference wage structure alone is frightening for any comparisons :o

Just to frighten you a bit more Luton got a crowd of 7500+ for a recent game against Cambridge U. I know they are a bit of a special case but even so......

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has no currency or credibility at the moment, will it ever have? .

Merely an opinion you happen to hold. Some may say your opinion has no currency or credibility. To me it seems like a competitive league with at least 4 teams able to win it. Attendances have improved markedly at Gala since they joined, suggesting that folk there disagree with you. The LL games I've seen were notable for their almost complete lack of dodgy tackles, which is an improvement on the EoS, and with a couple of dishonourable exceptions, most coaching staff and so on seem professional in their manner. Facilities and hospitality have been first class.

The LL has no comparison because of the way it has been conceived and accelerated into place. East Kilbride for example have absolutely no pedigree and are a youth set up catapulted into a proposed fifth tier. Threave suffered an absolute hounding in the Senior Scottish at the hands of a good Junior side. It has no currency or credibility at the moment, will it ever have? Time will tell.

"at the moment", are you trying to tell us something?

Face the facts Isa, our league is already a success without the likes of you. With a growing interest in it from the press as most papers carry an updated league table. Even your own west coast based paper The (Glasgow) Herald has it in it but no junior Superleague.

We have at least half the teams capable of winning it, compare that to your current situation where, as in the SPL, the only interest is who is coming second.

A bit rich of a junior fan saying that our league has no credibility, at least we can hold a cup draw without making ourselves a laughing stock.

Enjoy the Big Scottish run this year if you do not join the party, I hope there won't be many more.

The LL has no comparison because of the way it has been conceived and accelerated into place. East Kilbride for example have absolutely no pedigree and are a youth set up catapulted into a proposed fifth tier. Threave suffered an absolute hounding in the Senior Scottish at the hands of a good Junior side. It has no currency or credibility at the moment, will it ever have? Time will tell.

As I have said before - it was not set up with the best 12 teams available from those that applied.

The teams chosen either had a licence or were either gonna get one before 2015.

Any new teams will also have to meet the same criteria.

This is why it is futile to have comparisons between leagues right now

Face the facts Isa, our league is already a success without the likes of you. With a growing interest in it from the press as most papers carry an updated league table. Even your own west coast based paper The (Glasgow) Herald has it in it but no junior Superleague.

We have at least half the teams capable of winning it, compare that to your current situation where, as in the SPL, the only interest is who is coming second.

A bit rich of a junior fan saying that our league has no credibility, at least we can hold a cup draw without making ourselves a laughing stock.

Enjoy the Big Scottish run this year if you do not join the party, I hope there won't be many more.

Will enjoy it very much I'm sure, particularly if my beloved Talbot draw a club from your esteem league, if we get through to the next round. Mind you I suppose if it's not 8-1 again then it will be seen as a victory by yourself and the rest of the deluded!

come on everybody lets just let all the leagues get on with it far far to early to make comparisons all I know is that this is the best thing that has happened to east Kilbride since ek thistle won the Scottish cup,and for what ever reasons they are a poor team now but are trying to rectify that but it is all down to cash I am absolutely enjoying the adventure that ekfc are on at the moment but only time will tell how good the lowland league can be but ive seen some cracking teams and players so far this season

To be fair to Isa's otherwise mean spirited post, if a junior fan had suggested comparing our leagues to the Conference you'd see SFL (if it's still called that) supporters on in seconds referring to it as "the dug shite league" or other funny names - witness the bizarre inclusion of the Junior thread in the Gold Forum. Whether or not they'd be so complimentary to a far away Lowland League they know nothing of, who's to say!

My tuppence, wtf is it to do with any of the Juniors what we compare our League to? Come back next year when you can be arsed to join in with us, then your opinion will count.

On a side note to Simplistic, I get the joke with your avatar but the level of comprehension of some of the other PnBer's won't, so get shut of the egg ball eh, there's enough folk round here that think we a bunch (is 17 a bunch?) of poncey middle class egg-chasing lovers as it is!

Grimbo

My tuppence, wtf is it to do with any of the Juniors what we compare our League to?

Because you are no longer in the East of Scotland League in a wee world of your own that very few people pay any attention to. You now claim to be on a higher plane than the SJFA and something that junior clubs should have to play a pro/rel playoff to enter as part of a wider pyramid setup. I have yet to see a sensible argument for why the east and west superleagues couldn't have formed the template pretty much as is for the fifth tier along with the Highland League and why grounds like Newlandsfield and Newtown Park that regularly have over 1000 people in them for big games with no apparent danger or discomfort to the spectators suddenly have to be revamped to gain an entry level license to justify inclusion at a level of the sport where currently anything over 100 is a good crowd. It was all a very nasty exercise in boardroom politics to try to ensure that a large number of clubs that would be a genuine threat to those in the lower two divisions of the SPFL would remain contained in a separate grade for the most part even after a "pyramid" has been created, so the current recipients of SPFL largesse keep their snouts at the handouts trough.

I think you're way off the mark here, its junior football that has no credibility. Outside of it no-one has a clue what it is there for and why. It also has virtually no connection with the games governing body in this country. The football although effective at times, is horrific to watch. Your own teams hoofball performance in the scottish cup final made me want to switch off after 15 minutes, a hideous long ball game from the 70's. I can see why you wouldnt want to align yourselves with senior football as the way the teams play has absolutely nothing in common with professional top level. Hopefuly eyesore teams like Talbot will remain where they belong.

Sad that people get so tribalistic over this, when football is football regardless of whether there is a senior or junior label stuck on it. The way i see it some people on the junior side of the fence have missed an obvious trend that the teams at the very top of the EoS have improved their playing standards over the last 30 years to the point that they became competitive with top junior clubs (i.e. Edinburgh City vs Shotts Bon Accord last season) and assume mistakenly that the very poor performances of some Borders and SoS clubs in the Scottish Cup means that all EoS/SoS/LL clubs are way behind the east and west superleagues. At the same time the general trend of what has happened in recent years when the very best of the juniors have taken on the very best of the EoS/SoS has been that the junior club usually wins, so it's a bit of a stretch to argue that those same clubs are now light years ahead of the junior grade on the field of play due to club licensing being implemented.

It is all horses for courses. The Lowland league is here and wont go away.

Those who are in it wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

The many supporters of the Junior teams are very happy with the fare on offer to them and good luck to them.

Neither of the two will be going away anytime soon and neither will convince the other of their undoubted merits.

Both sets of supporters should just enjoy their football.

I think you're way off the mark here, its junior football that has no credibility. Outside of it no-one has a clue what it is there for and why. It also has virtually no connection with the games governing body in this country. The football although effective at times, is horrific to watch. Your own teams hoofball performance in the scottish cup final made me want to switch off after 15 minutes, a hideous long ball game from the 70's. I can see why you wouldnt want to align yourselves with senior football as the way the teams play has absolutely nothing in common with professional top level. Hopefuly eyesore teams like Talbot will remain where they belong.

Yes and I had a friend next to me at that game and swears it was a fantastic game. As you probably know Talbot vary their game as all good teams can. Both teams on view that day would have had very little trouble dispatching anything the LL has got to offer. As for no one having a clue, ask down Gorgie I'm sure some of them will remember the twitchy bum the last time the Jam Tarts met a Junior team. Never mind, at least the Rose and Talbot can fly the non league flag in the Senior Cup with some aplomb again. Hope our respective teams meet, we can discuss how your up to date side couldn't cope with the hideous long ball.

Yes and I had a friend next to me at that game and swears it was a fantastic game.

And you accused us of being deluded!! It was a terrible game but after reading all your posts about how good the junior game was, perhaps I was expecting too much.

Glad I asked :huh:

My own personal opinion is that the LL is probably on par with the mid to bottom of the Northern League/top of the North West Counties league.

Glad we have it but surprised that some teams (ok EK - regardless of set up) are in it. The standard comparison is subjective I suppose but as long as I watch a good game of football that's relatively competitive then thats good enough for me. Tomorrow is Hearts v Celtic (yes that will be competitive :unsure2: ) followed by Whitehill Welfare v Dalbettie Star or Lothian Thistle v Easthouses Lily and I know already which one will be more equal

Glad I asked :huh:

My own personal opinion is that the LL is probably on par with the mid to bottom of the Northern League/top of the North West Counties league.

Glad we have it but surprised that some teams (ok EK - regardless of set up) are in it. The standard comparison is subjective I suppose but as long as I watch a good game of football that's relatively competitive then thats good enough for me. Tomorrow is Hearts v Celtic (yes that will be competitive :unsure2: ) followed by Whitehill Welfare v Dalbettie Star or Lothian Thistle v Easthouses Lily and I know already which one will be more equal

the Northern League, NWCL & NECL are all the same level.

Archived