Lowland League comparison

Franky Frankopolous

Technically the LL and Highland League are our equivalent on the Conference in Engerland but what level would you compare these leagues to down South? Northern League, North West Counties League?

This may have been asked/discussed before but trying to explain the level of football to mates down south is not that easy. This is not a "get at the LL" post as I really enjoy my lower level football, probably more than the professional game.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technically the LL and Highland League are our equivalent on the Conference in Engerland but what level would you compare these leagues to down South? Northern League, North West Counties League?

This may have been asked/discussed before but trying to explain the level of football to mates down south is not that easy. This is not a "get at the LL" post as I really enjoy my lower level football, probably more than the professional game.

Lower......lower!

Spartans played Blyth Spartans a few seasons ago, was a rather meaty game and ended as a draw. Blyth were bottom end of Conference North.

I do think the top end of the Lowland League could compete with the bottom end of the Conference.

Spartans played Blyth Spartans a few seasons ago, was a rather meaty game and ended as a draw. Blyth were bottom end of Conference North.

I do think the top end of the Lowland League could compete with the bottom end of the Conference.

So, Stockport, then the clubs into the evostik league? Come on they would wipe the floor with LL clubs. Cicero is nearer the mark. Northern, NE, NW Counties second division.

Gretna regularly play against Northern League teams in pre-season friendlies. I would suggest that they are about our level which is equivalent to tier 9 & 10 of the English system.

Have to agree with Cicero on this one. If you do the arithmetic on how many clubs there are at each tier in England and factor in the relative populations of Scotland and England tier 9 and 10 is about where the LL should fit in. The bottom end of Conference North would be more comparable to our so called "Championship".

As an attendee at many conference games in last few years. I would put the top of the conference on a par with the Scottish Championship( Old 1st div). At the QOS v Spartans game I thought the movement and pace of the QOS players was on a par with conference (full time) players.

The playing budget for Luton & Forest Green is reported to be in excess of £1 million. That is SPL money!!!

As for the Lowland league I would class the top teams (and the top juniors) as similar to step 4 or 5 in the english pyramid.

One of the points of the pyramid is that teams will find there level. We will just have watch where teams joining the LL or HL fit in.

There is no way the Lowland League is anywhere near bottom half Conference North standard. Cicero is nearer the mark I'd say. The better sides would give most Northern League First Division's sides a game. I saw Dalbeattie play Threave last month and they looked no better than Northern League Second Division standard on the night.

Have to agree with Cicero on this one. If you do the arithmetic on how many clubs there are at each tier in England and factor in the relative populations of Scotland and England tier 9 and 10 is about where the LL should fit in. The bottom end of Conference North would be more comparable to our so called "Championship".

Fairly certain the eos select have given a good account of themselves against THE conference (not north or south) in recent years.

the conference is a full time league which could probably compete with the spl.

The conference wage structure alone is frightening for any comparisons :o

I think it is too early to judge the LL league as to where it is in comparisons to other established leagues.

I think through time playing better teams on a regular basis will improve both teams and the league.

There will be clubs at the moment who in the past performed badly and won with ease in the LL this is not the case.

I would say Northern League would be the best comparison. And if anything the Northern League would be slightly stronger at the top end. Couldn't see any LL sides getting promoted out of NL at present

Yep would say so too. Usually get to a few NL games a season - was at the Celtic Nation game tonight - and in terms of standard/crowds etc I'd compare it to the LL. Not budgets in terms of Celtic Nation though mind you!

It was interesting to see how little the likes of Wullie Gibson and Colin McMenamin stood out and look at the Scottish clubs they've played for.

The LL has no comparison because of the way it has been conceived and accelerated into place. East Kilbride for example have absolutely no pedigree and are a youth set up catapulted into a proposed fifth tier. Threave suffered an absolute hounding in the Senior Scottish at the hands of a good Junior side. It has no currency or credibility at the moment, will it ever have? Time will tell.

The LL has no comparison because of the way it has been conceived and accelerated into place. East Kilbride for example have absolutely no pedigree and are a youth set up catapulted into a proposed fifth tier. Threave suffered an absolute hounding in the Senior Scottish at the hands of a good Junior side. It has no currency or credibility at the moment, will it ever have? Time will tell.

That doesn't make any sense. Just because it's new and just because Juniors didn't participate doesn't make it incomparable. That would be like giving a set of oils to an artist, having him produce a painting, then saying you couldn't compare it with other paintings because... erm... well I'm not quite sure.

It's still a painting and therefore comparable with other paintings, whatever the materials used in its composition.

It's interesting that you (particularly) and a couple of other posters seem to want to take every and any opportunity to criticise and belittle the new league. You'd almost think it had you worried or something.

Yawn fest.

Archived