True Detective

Quentin Taranbino

Just started watching this and finished Eps 2. Must say I am really really enjoying it, atmospheric, tense with some excellant totty also....

Love the Wire spotting also, Smooth Lester Freamon and Brother Mouzone appearing in the first episode. Took me a while to realise that the interviewing cop, was Brother M but he's looking well.

Really excited for the rest of the Series.

The first episode was outstanding, one of my favourite opening episodes ever. Perfectly cast with some excellent performances. The second episode was indeed a bit slower but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm really looking frorward to where they go to next with it.

The tracking six-minute long shot at the end of episode four is as good as any scene I've ever seen on TV. Mindblowingly good.

I thought the way they wrapped up the case itself was very generic, the two cops tracking the serial killer down to his lair, having a fight, getting injured but pulling through. Felt like I'd seen it a million times. I really liked the final conversation with Rust opening his mind up to a bit more positivity and them exiting stage right. I'm glad the characters got a good ending, even if the case didn't get a particularly strong one, as for a detective show it was always more about the detectives themselves than the case, which was rare.

Great show, and really interesting reading up about this virtually unknown guy who demanded complete creative control and got it in an unprecedented move. Trust HBO to be the ones to take the chance!

McConaughey and Harrelson were both brilliant in it, keen to see where season 2 goes but it's a shame that they're not back for more

I thought the way they wrapped up the case itself was very generic, the two cops tracking the serial killer down to his lair, having a fight, getting injured but pulling through. Felt like I'd seen it a million times. I really liked the final conversation with Rust opening his mind up to a bit more positivity and them exiting stage right. I'm glad the characters got a good ending, even if the case didn't get a particularly strong one, as for a detective show it was always more about the detectives themselves than the case, which was rare.

I had a theory about the ending and apologies if this has already been discussed...

I thought the ending suggested that they both died. The contrast of the hospital against the dark night, Marty's family at his bedside despite them being estranged, Rust's sudden positive outlook after seeing his daughter in his dream and particularly Rust saying that he didn't want to go back into the hospital (life) where he would return to his old cynical state.

Maybe I've been smoking too much biker meth though.

Just finished this as well, top quality as had already been said.

I thought I'd been spoiled about someone dying so I was expecting that throughout the whole finale but it never came! I must've misheard the spoiler, I guess.

I'll end up re-watching the whole season in a couple of days during the summer since I've only been watching an episode here or there due to time constraints.

When they got off the boat after holding the Steve guy prisoner and Rust tells him they've hired a sniper as insurance.

*shoots car*
"Do I strike you as more of a talker or a doer, Steve?"

:lol: So fucking cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this as well, top quality as had already been said.

I thought I'd been spoiled about someone dying so I was expecting that throughout the whole finale but it never came! I must've misheard the spoiler, I guess.

I'll end up re-watching the whole season in a couple of days during the summer since I've only been watching an episode here or there due to time constraints.

When they got off the boat after holding the Steve guy prisoner and Rust tells him they've hired a sniper as insurance.

*shoots car*

"Do I strike you as more of a talker or a doer, Steve?"

:lol: So fucking cool.

I thought the sniper was going to turn out to be Russ's dad.

"It's informed exactly one thing. It's that I realize I need to keep being strange. Don't play the next one straight," said Pizzolatto to HitFix. "Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you [it's about] hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

• 1 month later...

Watched the first 3 earlier, really good, like almost Breaking Bad levels of good.

Bit bummed out though as a mate has said the last ep is shit, its like having a nice cup of tea and someone telling you later they stirred it with their cock.

Edited by Christophe

Watched the first 3 earlier, really good, like almost Breaking Bad levels of good.

Bit bummed out though as a mate has said the last ep is shit, its like having a nice cup of tea and someone telling you later they stirred it with their cock.

Don't listen to your mate. I enjoyed the last eps!

:lol:

Green dot for the excellent simile

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this last night and thought it was outstanding. One of my favourite shows after Breaking Bad.

The chemistry between McConaughey and Harrelson really makes the show tick.

The way the writers really take chances, some of them pay off while some don't, and the dark tone kept me hooked.

Apparently, it'll be new actors and new story for the next series, but I imagine they'll be able to attract similar calibre actors and I've got faith in the writing.

Highly recommend this to anyone swithering about whether to get stuck in.