True Detective

Quentin Taranbino

Finally got round to watching season 3 and have to say I quite enjoyed it. Certainly better than the 2nd series and reverted back to the feeling of series 1 where there was always something abit eerie going on in the back ground.

Kept waiting for them to say the DA who shut down the cases in 80 and 90 was involved somehow but it never happened!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

New series of this due so been giving the first 3 a rewatch past couple weeks. First is still class but I actually enjoyed the 2nd this time around. It's not perfect but it's not the car crash it was made out to be at the time. S3 might actually be the weakest as I make my way through it.

Anyway, Jodie Foster the big name in the new one, we'll see how it goes I'm sure I read it'll be back half of this year it's out

Just finished S3...it's actually pretty good even if it is fairly similar to S1. Stephen Dorff and Mahershala Ali are great and Scoot McNairy is good in pretty much everything he's in. One of those great character actors, which always feels like a backhanded compliment.

Still like how S2 tried something different but I've enjoyed all 3 and looking forward to the new one. 

12 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Just finished S3...it's actually pretty good even if it is fairly similar to S1. Stephen Dorff and Mahershala Ali are great and Scoot McNairy is good in pretty much everything he's in. One of those great character actors, which always feels like a backhanded compliment.

Still like how S2 tried something different but I've enjoyed all 3 and looking forward to the new one. 

I enjoyed s3.  Mahershala Ali is such a fantastic actor.

I've never gone back to s2 after we binned it after an episode or 2.

8 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I enjoyed s3.  Mahershala Ali is such a fantastic actor.

I've never gone back to s2 after we binned it after an episode or 2.

It definitely picks up at episode 4 and is more focused from then in but can understand why it got the flak coming after S1. There's a lot going on and it was a bit all over the place. Probably a character and plot too many 

Edited by Squalor Vic

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2020 at 20:16, Theroadlesstravelled said:

My favourite TD episode is where Alexandra Daddario gets her chebs and muff out.

Was that the Series 1 scene with Woody H  ?

One of the most aesthetically pleasing television moments in a long long time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I'm just glad to see Namond Brice has stayed away from crime in Baltimore and joined law enforcement in Alaska 

Season 4 was pretty poor though 

Season 4 was absolutely desperate 

Entire series of nothing happening 

Or is that season 3 I'm thinking about 

Edited by Binos

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to think why I hated this so much. Comes down to a number of different factors I think. There are spoilers in this but you should read it as it’s better to have it spoiled than waste your time watching it.

Spoiler

The writing and plotting is terrible. Essentially, the story is a mystery - a load of scientists in the Alaskan tundra are found dead in the snow. Why did they leave their research facility? What do the symbols mean that are found around the men’s bodies? Where is the one missing man? Seems like a great set up right? It is but it’s so mishandled. The plot goes off in a hundred directions meandering away from the actual point of what is going on. There are far too many characters who have deep reveals about themselves, which all turn out to be shallow because they can’t get enough screen time. You also have plot elements that are either introduced and seem like they are going to be important (Christopher Eccleston shows up and it seems like he’s going to be a big part of it but then he disappears for the entire series) or are lobbed in at the end without being properly established (Jodie fosters character list a child in a car accident). 

The ending and denouement of the whole mystery is so stupid and badly written you have to really experience it. It turns out that one of the scientists had a girlfriend, which they weren’t allowed because they are scientist monks apparently, who found out about their bad research so the collection of geeky science dorks brutally murdered her. Then the cleaning lady in the research facility spilled her mop bucket, The water ran down a crack which lead her to a secret underground chamber where she finds a screwdriver and immediately understands that this means the scientists murdered the young woman, because the wounds on the murder victim were star shaped. She then rouses a posse of gun toting cleaning ladies, who rush into the facility and drive the scientists into the cold as a punishment for murder. That’s the big reveal, six hours in. The sort of pay off that would get rejected by a daytime soap for being too dumb. 

The plot has loads of elements of annoyingly bad tropes you get in conspiracy shows - the whole cover up seems to involve almost everyone in the one horse town it’s set in, the only people who don’t know about it are the two heroines. The other cops, the local hotheads, the owner of the local ice, a Christopher Eccleston who’s been shagging Jodie Foster for years apparently - they all know about it but the two ace detectives don’t!

Probably as a tribute to the classic gothic style of the original True Deteftive series, the show tries to disguise its dumbness with pseudish nonsense - a polar bear stares at the main character! Some mad old woman can talk to the dead. None of this means anything or is relevant, supernatural woo is just chucked in to add to the atmosphere but has the overall impact of making the whole thing seem like a boring, crap version of a 90s slasher film.

It also ties in with another jarring aspect of the programme - the way it portrays the indigenous people. They are either corpses (Annie), angry activists (police chiefs daughter) or witchy-woo shaman types with some deep mystical connection to the land. All of them are stereotypes and for all the focus on the indigenous people none of the indigenous characters are well developed. The indigenous exist to be mad or mystic. Compare that to the nuanced portrayal of indigenous people in Killers of the Flower Moon, where the performances and writing of the Osage characters are the highlight of the film. 

I can’t actually believe it’s been praised to high heavens, it was utterly shite.

Edited by TheGreenElves

• 1 month later...