True Detective

Quentin Taranbino

I've not watched the whole episode yet as i fell asleep watching, but that scene at the mayors house was laughable. Whats with all the overhead shots of the roads aswell, were ok at first but getting a bit repetitive.

I've not watched the whole episode yet as i fell asleep watching, but that scene at the mayors house was laughable. Whats with all the overhead shots of the roads aswell, were ok at first but getting a bit repetitive.

I'm quite enjoying it so far tbph but that scene just reminded me of GTA!!

That opening scene was like something out of Twin Peaks. Incredibly well done.

I was thinking last week that this season was quite Lynchian with the overhead freeway shots and foreboding music. But yeah that was a much more direct homage.

Edited by Christophe

Some of the stuff is a bit weak though, the dialogue is pretty cringy at times this season. And some of the set plays - like the female cop busting the house and finding her sister working there - just make you say "f**k OFFFF"

It's not just the cringey stuff either, some of the dialouge is just "off". The bar scene between Vaughan and Farrell last episode just really didn't ring true. They used the word "stridency" which no gangland boss or corrupt cop would ever use, used it twice. Also "apoplectic". I was just sitting there thinking "you wouldn't use those words in reality would you?"

Also i reckon they do some pretty major corpsing on set, they always seem to have these looks on their faces like they've been laughing for ages and are now trying to be serious, the bar scene above had a strong sense of it. Pretty off-putting.

Can you say most of the things that happened in the 1st season we're realistic?

Some of Cohle's speech was WAY beyond what a "real" person would say.

Christ, i'm not talking just talking about flowery verbiage in film/tv vs real life language, or we could talk about a million scenes. Season 1 has nothing to do with it, the language fit the character, it didn't in that bar scene. IMO! IMO!

Edited by Christophe