Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Robert Burns really was prophetic…:

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A Cieran Slicker with a save
          ’S a sma’ request:
I’ll get a blessin wi’ the lave,
          An’ never miss ’t!

On 10/03/2023 at 12:17, 2426255 said:

Just out of interest how do folk know how well Hackney is performing? Have people been watching Middlesbrough? 6 of their last 7 games have been Saturday 3pm kick offs.

I watch every Boro game and he’s a really good player. Would expect to see him in the full squad fairly soon if he continues current form and stays interested in playing for Scotland.

On 23/03/2023 at 13:35, Jives Miguel said:

Of course I am, those are English clubs.

Quite a weird take then is it not? Those are the only two clubs of note in Wales. They are going to struggle to compete at any semblance of international level if the highest level the majority of their squad are playing at is Barry Town in the Welsh Premier League. Obviously any player of any real talent is picked up by English teams - it's the same for the Irish or indeed any nation without a half-decent league of its own. We're increasingly seeing it ourselves despite our actually quite good league with our best boys going off to EPL teams - I (and I would think most others in Scotland) still consider them to be developed by our system regardless. Gilmour, Doak, Wilson, Patterson, Hickey etc. are products of our system, but were all playing abroad whilst still eligible for U21 football.

u21s 2-0 down to Wales at half time. Youth results clearly don't matter if the SFA continue to keep Gemmill in a job with this current run which I think is 2 wins in the last 15 if this stays the same.

Game is on youtube if anyone cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR9x-Ty0rlc

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

u21s 2-0 down to Wales at half time. Youth results clearly don't matter if the SFA continue to keep Gemmill in a job with this current run which I think is 2 wins in the last 15 if this stays the same.

Going through the squad, he can't argue about a lack of quality either. He's a dreadful manager and evidently holds the team back.

15 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Going through the squad, he can't argue about a lack of quality either. He's a dreadful manager and evidently holds the team back.

Aye, our under 21 side has players better than those coming off the bench for the Wales first team side last night. 

ETA, the Twitter doesn’t seem to have posted our starting side for some reason and I can’t see Doig or Hackney playing. 

Edited by No_Problemo

When you have guys that are eligible for other nations you worry that they just patch it.

These guys are coached at some of the best academies in the world and show up to Scotland u21 to be coached by a guy called Scotland who seems like he can barely spell tactics, and has them running about like headless chickens.

They are murder to watch. Even the other night against Sweden was brutal, aside from a few moments of individual quality

26 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

They cant sack him until Malky Mckay is available, i guess.

Cant hire anyone other than old head theyve hired before. 

Gemmill's attitude gives off the impression that I could take the under-21s and it wouldn't make a difference. It just seems to be a kickabout that prepares players for the idea of international football. We might not even need any manager! The whole thing feels pointless. 

21 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye, our under 21 side has players better than those coming off the bench for the Wales first team side last night. 

ETA, the Twitter doesn’t seem to have posted our starting side for some reason and I can’t see Doig or Hackney playing. 

21s is such an important age group too, you can convince players it's worth kicking about in the Scottish system,or push them towards other nations. To have players playing either first team football or at top academies, we should be a comfortable 2nd seed at this level. 

On 24/03/2023 at 16:35, albagubrath said:

Quite a weird take then is it not? Those are the only two clubs of note in Wales. They are going to struggle to compete at any semblance of international level if the highest level the majority of their squad are playing at is Barry Town in the Welsh Premier League. Obviously any player of any real talent is picked up by English teams - it's the same for the Irish or indeed any nation without a half-decent league of its own. We're increasingly seeing it ourselves despite our actually quite good league with our best boys going off to EPL teams - I (and I would think most others in Scotland) still consider them to be developed by our system regardless. Gilmour, Doak, Wilson, Patterson, Hickey etc. are products of our system, but were all playing abroad whilst still eligible for U21 football.

Don't see how its a weird take. Playing in the English football system receiving English money. They're an English club.