Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

8C97ABB5-C5ED-4B2A-AF04-F0628F32D1CF.jpeg.3533f7872b780f2848fdd8dba11b5c29.jpeg

Interesting to see if Hackney makes the first team squad, would have chucked him in and capped him against Cyprus if he was willing to stop him playing for anyone else.

Doaks been injured so U21 makes sense for now.

Tommy Conway injured? Or maybe first team bound.

Elliot Anderson looks like he’s definitely not interested in playing for us at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Interesting to see if Hackney makes the first team squad, would have chucked him in and capped him against Cyprus if he was willing to stop him playing for anyone else.

Elliot Anderson looks like he’s definitely not interested in playing for us at the moment.

Petty things that get on your nerves thread for this but wish they’d order the players by position like they do for the senior squad announcements.

22 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

I agree about Hackney. I thought he would have been in the senior squad. Seems to be having a great season in the championship. Yea, Doaks injury probably ruined an outside chance of a call up. Would have loved to have seen him in the squad also. 

My first thought on Anderson is that he has refused a call up as i cant see him being in the full squad. Disappointing if that's the case as he also looks a real talent.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Anderson should be in the full squad if he wants to play for us I'd say, so I'm not sure his absence from the U21s says anything.

15 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

My first thought on Anderson is that he has refused a call up as i cant see him being in the full squad. Disappointing if that's the case as he also looks a real talent.

If Anderson is in the first team squad I’ll be delighted however the noises are really that he’s not willing to commit.

An article I’ve found from yesterday makes me think he’s going to represent England.

And when I say represent I mean make 4 appearances for the 21s and never be seen on the international stage again, the cynic in me says.

Be pleased to be proved wrong though.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Anderson should be in the full squad if he wants to play for us I'd say, so I'm not sure his absence from the U21s says anything.

Did he not go on holiday instead of accept his last U21 call up? 

Would be pleasantly surprised to see him in the full squad but can’t see it. 

21 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yep, he isn't going to want to risk injury in an U21 friendly. We've done this all before with Hickey (admittedly he was playing every game and it made less sense for him to travel for them).

Obviously he might be (and probably is) waiting to see if England come calling; but him not joining the U21s for a kick about isn't indication of much.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

Under 17's currently 3-0 down to Wales.

Not a great performance from them, missing Wilson badly, but they were undone by some freak goals. Two goalie mistakes, maybe 3 if you are being harsh. When they got the ball down in the second half and played they were much better.

This team seems to be a bit feast of famine though. Their last 10 games are:

4-2 loss to Wales, 5-1 loss to Czechs, 3-0 win to Northern Ireland, 6-0 win to Malta, 1-0 loss to Sweden, 3-1 loss to Denmark, 5-1 loss to Portugal, 6-1 win to Georgia, 4-0 loss to Germany, 2-2 draw with Czechs.

Just the 45 goals across 10 matches 🤣

I only watched the last half an hour but that midfield partnership of Bailey Rice and Lennon Miller looks promising. Caveat that ball-playing midfielders, along with wingers, tend to be the ones who look different gravy at youth level yet never fulfill their potential. 

On 10/03/2023 at 12:17, 2426255 said:

Just out of interest how do folk know how well Hackney is performing? Have people been watching Middlesbrough? 6 of their last 7 games have been Saturday 3pm kick offs.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't even know he was Scottish, but at the end of February, I was at the West Brom v Middlesbourgh game and he was excellent despite his team losing 2-0. That's the only time I have seen him play, but his range of passing was impressive and his quick feet seemed to find him space to get away from people. Did he look better than players in the Scotland full team.... I can't say he did however he did look a player and on that performance, would be worth keeping an eye on.

As an aside, was just thinking about Welsh football and youth development. They must be the most pathetic, craven country in FIFA. Every single one of their players developed by English league clubs with English money. If the English youth development goes into the shitter, so does the Wales national team, and they have absolutely zero agency to fix it. Who was the last Wales international to come through the academy at a Welsh club? Has it ever even happened?

What a sad state of affairs.

3 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Not a great performance from them, missing Wilson badly, but they were undone by some freak goals. Two goalie mistakes, maybe 3 if you are being harsh. When they got the ball down in the second half and played they were much better.

This team seems to be a bit feast of famine though. Their last 10 games are:

4-2 loss to Wales, 5-1 loss to Czechs, 3-0 win to Northern Ireland, 6-0 win to Malta, 1-0 loss to Sweden, 3-1 loss to Denmark, 5-1 loss to Portugal, 6-1 win to Georgia, 4-0 loss to Germany, 2-2 draw with Czechs.

Just the 45 goals across 10 matches 🤣

Somehow forgot their last match, probably because it was a dull goalless draw. Only kidding of course, it was a 7-0 win  vs Switzerland and part of a double header where the other game finished 4-4 🤣

Edited by albagubrath

4 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

As an aside, was just thinking about Welsh football and youth development. They must be the most pathetic, craven country in FIFA. Every single one of their players developed by English league clubs with English money. If the English youth development goes into the shitter, so does the Wales national team, and they have absolutely zero agency to fix it. Who was the last Wales international to come through the academy at a Welsh club? Has it ever even happened?

What a sad state of affairs.

Depends. Are you counting players that come through Cardiff and Swansea as developed in the English system?