Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Doak looks like he could be a serious player. Two footed, hard working, extremely quick feet and looks a composed finisher. Hopefully all works out for him, either at Liverpool or a high level elsewhere, cause I don't think we can afford to let talent like that slide into oblivion.

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

Doak looks like he could be a serious player. Two footed, hard working, extremely quick feet and looks a composed finisher. Hopefully all works out for him, either at Liverpool or a high level elsewhere, cause I don't think we can afford to let talent like that slide into oblivion.

He does look like an excellent prospect.  His pace and ability to run past/through players is impressive.  The goal he scored today is very similar to those he had in the summer for the u19s, and the goal against Napoli in the u19 Champions League last week.

He's only 17 in November.  The potential is certainly there for us.

13 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

How Scotland U21s player play today face N.Ireland today

who good enough U21s players in scotland senior squad?

Doig and Conway look the most ready to step up.

All the players are born in 2002 or younger so it's still a very young squad. They are still 12 months away from their qualifiers starting. 

21 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The saltiness from the commentators is glorious. Are they expecting to beat us or something?

Yeah, we've won 5 of the last 6 (going back to 2010), 4 at home and 2 away with the one loss at home in 2021. To be fair though, the margin has been only 1 or 2 goals in each game so relatively close.

I got the distinct impression very little research had been done on the Scottish team though, they seemed to think Doak had been brought on at left back for instance!

U19s beaten 2-1 by USA. They dominated possesion but lost two soft goals from crosses and played most of the game without a centre forward due to Billy Stark having to cram in as many Celtic players as possible. 

Josh Adams (MF Man City) scored a good goal and was the standout over the 3 games along with Kerr Smith (CB Villa). Mebude and Hepburn didn't get much chance to shine but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as Stark is fucking hopeless. 

16 hours ago, Detournement said:

U19s beaten 2-1 by USA. They dominated possesion but lost two soft goals from crosses and played most of the game without a centre forward due to Billy Stark having to cram in as many Celtic players as possible. 

Josh Adams (MF Man City) scored a good goal and was the standout over the 3 games along with Kerr Smith (CB Villa). Mebude and Hepburn didn't get much chance to shine but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as Stark is fucking hopeless. 

I know this has been done to death but fucking hell, how do we STILL have Stark and Gemmill coaching our youth teams. Weird squad selections, terrible team selections with multiple players out of position, complete lack of understanding of the point of the youth teams, horrendous regressive tactics and complete failure to actually achieve anything with the teams. Fair enough if they kept qualifying despite all that then its hard to move on, but they aren't even coming close. Surely there is a young aspiring coach in Scotland that could do better than these couple of never-beens?

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to watch Doak irl today which was a v wise decision. He's obviously lightning quick which can compensate for his occasional lack of invention when standing up a defender or for when he doesn't read a situation. You knew he was reaching every overhit pass.

I was thinking in the first half that he's quite flexible tactically as he can play as a touchline winger or as more of an inside forward (he and Clark would rotate a bit) and that was proven after the red card when he was sent up front, firstly with a partner and latterly on his own. His pace and excellent dribbling made him a great outlet against a Rangers side chasing the game. He had a big part to play in three of Liverpool's four goals including his goal which is all over Twitter.

Atm his final ball - finishing and crossing - isn't great, but his ability to get into dangerous positions sometimes means it doesn't need to be. It does need to improve though. 6199523d3aa93fc7ddd5c9165350ea6b.jpg

Ben Doak scored on his debut for Liverpool under 21s tonight. At 16 he is a frightening talent. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts making first team bench here and there before end of season

Calvin Ramsay also scored in same game. Last half hour of game was a Scottish right hand side for Liverpool 

8 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Ben Doak scored on his debut for Liverpool under 21s tonight. At 16 he is a frightening talent. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts making first team bench here and there before end of season

Calvin Ramsay also scored in same game. Last half hour of game was a Scottish right hand side for Liverpool 

watched the highlights this morning. Doaks change of pace is frightening. Still only 16! Seems to be going through the age groups at Liverpool quickly aswell. Good to see Ramsay back fit. Hopefully gets his chance in the coming months

watched the highlights this morning. Doaks change of pace is frightening. Still only 16! Seems to be going through the age groups at Liverpool quickly aswell. Good to see Ramsay back fit. Hopefully gets his chance in the coming months
Link to highlights?

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
3 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

Link to highlights?