Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

A healthy blend of folk I've never heard of, jobbers, promising 16-year-olds and folk kicking about first teams at a high(ish) level. 

An unusual amount of attacking talent for a Scotland u21 squad. Gemmill will still somehow manage to send out a hoofball team though. 

Conway from Bristol City has 6 goals in 10 games this season (4 in 6 in the Championship) so you would expect him to start up front with Anderson.

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

An unusual amount of attacking talent for a Scotland u21 squad. Gemmill will still somehow manage to send out a hoofball team though. 

Conway from Bristol City has 6 goals in 10 games this season (4 in 6 in the Championship) so you would expect him to start up front with Anderson.

If he's a striker then I doubt Gemmill will start him up front. That's exclusively reserved for wingers and central midfielders. 

Billy Gilmour's the only other 16-year-old I can remember playing for the u21s (think it was at Toulon) so they must have high hopes indeed for Doak and Wilson 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

If he's a striker then I doubt Gemmill will start him up front. That's exclusively reserved for wingers and central midfielders. 

Billy Gilmour's the only other 16-year-old I can remember playing for the u21s (think it was at Toulon) so they must have high hopes indeed for Doak and Wilson 

Wilson wasn't impressive at the Euro u17s despite grabbing a fairly jammy goal. I don't know how he's done at Villa but Conway and Bowie are scoring goals in the Championship and League 2 respectively so you would expect them to be ahead of him.

Doak has obviously had as good start as is possible at Liverpool so he's more understandable but unless he's playing first team football somewhere he shouldn't be in the squad for the qualifiers. I think Gilmour was at least playing for Chelsea in the Premier League 2 while Doak is still in the u18s. 

I'd say the focus for the two of them should be getting back to the u17 Euro Championships and actually trying to get out the group. 

13 hours ago, Detournement said:

Wilson wasn't impressive at the Euro u17s despite grabbing a fairly jammy goal. I don't know how he's done at Villa but Conway and Bowie are scoring goals in the Championship and League 2 respectively so you would expect them to be ahead of him.

Doak has obviously had as good start as is possible at Liverpool so he's more understandable but unless he's playing first team football somewhere he shouldn't be in the squad for the qualifiers. I think Gilmour was at least playing for Chelsea in the Premier League 2 while Doak is still in the u18s. 

I'd say the focus for the two of them should be getting back to the u17 Euro Championships and actually trying to get out the group. 

Generally this is right, but I would point out Doak starred in Liverpool’s youth Champs League victory over Napoli this week which is predominantly an U19 tournament.

I expect him to play at least PL2 this year. It will be great to see how he gets on at U21 level, and let’s not forget he played (limited) minutes at first team level for Celtic too.

20 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

Generally this is right, but I would point out Doak starred in Liverpool’s youth Champs League victory over Napoli this week which is predominantly an U19 tournament.

I expect him to play at least PL2 this year. It will be great to see how he gets on at U21 level, and let’s not forget he played (limited) minutes at first team level for Celtic too.

Just realised you are (I think) talking about the full squad. 100% agree he is nowhere near a full squad while playing youth football. His callup to the U21 squad is fine though IMO.

8 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Just realised you are (I think) talking about the full squad. 100% agree he is nowhere near a full squad while playing youth football. His callup to the U21 squad is fine though IMO.

I was talking about the 21s. 

The idea that our players are too good for the u17 European Championship is ridiculous. We have a strong group at u17 and qualifying and progressing in the tournament should be the focus. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I really don't think it'll be long before he's in the Scotland first team squad.

Hopefully he doesn't switch back. 

I just watched the u19s lose 2-0 to Croatia in a friendly tournament. It was even for the most part and Scotland were possibly the better team but two mental defensive lapses just after half time decided it. They somehow lost a goal 15 secs into the second half. 

Mebude and Kerr Smith were the stand outs as you would expect. Looking at the line up young, forward thinking coach Billy Stark seems to have picked all the Celtic players and none of the Rangers players in the first match and is probably going to pick all the Rangers players for the second game. Visionary. 

Edited by Detournement

I thought Croatia were worthy winners but Scotland looked decent in the early stages and late on when the game was pretty much done. Both full backs impressed me but I also found it strange the team had so many Celtic players given they seem a bit behind Rangers at youth level at the moment. I was disappointed with Ryan Duncan who didn't look comfortable that deep, I've liked what I've seen of him previously too.

17 hours ago, afca32 said:

I thought Croatia were worthy winners but Scotland looked decent in the early stages and late on when the game was pretty much done. Both full backs impressed me but I also found it strange the team had so many Celtic players given they seem a bit behind Rangers at youth level at the moment. I was disappointed with Ryan Duncan who didn't look comfortable that deep, I've liked what I've seen of him previously too.

I thought the right back was poor and the left back just seemed to want to run with it.

It was just a usual Scotland team unable to turn pressure into goals. Robbie Ure not starting despite scoring in the Rangers first team and Youth Champions League was a strange one. Offord of St Mirren has also scored on loan for Alloa. Instead it was a very average 9 from Leeds who offered nothing.

Gemmill's team selections are always something to look forward to. 

Edited by Detournement