Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

What is the point? To get the best(ish) guys playing together throughout the age groups? Get the best prospects used to international football/first team system?

Tbh I just use it as an opportunity to see players who I don't usually get to see at club level.

I'd argue the point of it is to develop players. It is a reasonable standard of football, but lads who are already regularly playing first team football at a decent standard (Premiership, EFL League One and above) and have a reasonable amount of appearances at that level (say, 50+) aren't learning anything from it. They're already playing tougher games than this every week.

We'd be far better off using it to supplement the learning curve for players who are just breaking through at their clubs and have the potential to contribute to Scotland squads in the future. Now you're not going to find 11 players like that, but it should be the core idea that the squad is built around. That might mean we get the odd 5 or 6 goal thrashing by an elite nation, but such is life. It's not like we're competing at the minute.

Yeah think we need a bit of a root and branch review about the youth teams and fundamentally what the purpose is.

It should be to develop players for the first team, and to develop those who have a chance to make it in top level European football (obviously a big overlap between the two).

This is explicitly what Uruguay and Croatia do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, out of all our up and coming (uncapped) youth/young players who you guys are most excited by?

Ramsay's move to Liverpool and his progress is obviously one to watch. But I would go for his club mate Ben Doak. The couple of appearances for Celtic and any time I've saw him in the youth teams he's looked electric! hope he can keep progressing

On 24/06/2022 at 15:00, Elgin Macca said:

Just wondering, out of all our up and coming (uncapped) youth/young players who you guys are most excited by?

Ramsay's move to Liverpool and his progress is obviously one to watch. But I would go for his club mate Ben Doak. The couple of appearances for Celtic and any time I've saw him in the youth teams he's looked electric! hope he can keep progressing

Charlie McArthur

Rory Wilson 

BTW no idea how good these players are, but they are teenagers that have attracted the attention of top-end EPL clubs.

On 24/06/2022 at 15:00, Elgin Macca said:

Notable names for me (in rough order of age) who are 21 or under:

21: Gilmour (midfield, Chelsea)

20: Patterson (rightback, Everton), Hickey (leftback, Bologna), Harrison Ashby (rightback, West Ham)

19: Eliott Anderson (midfield/attacker, Newcastle), Connor Barron (midfield, Aberdeen), Liam Morrison (centreback, Bayern Munich)

18: Leon King (centreback, Rangers), Alex Lowry (midfield, Rangers), Calvin Ramsay (right back, Liverpool), Dire Mebude (forward, Man City), Barry Hepburn (forward, Bayern Munich)

17: Kerr Smith (centreback, Aston Villa), Charlie McArthur (centreback, Kilmarnock), Dylan Reid (midfield, St Mirren)

16: Rory Wilson (striker, Aston Villa), Ben Doak (forward, Liverpool)

15: Lennon Miller (midfield, Motherwell)

Every position (roughly) is there other than a keeper.

20 hours ago, albagubrath said:

20: Patterson (rightback, Everton), Hickey (leftback, Bologna), Harrison Ashby (rightback, West Ham)

19: Eliott Anderson (midfield/attacker, Newcastle), Connor Barron (midfield, Aberdeen), Liam Morrison (centreback, Bayern Munich)

18: Leon King (centreback, Rangers), Alex Lowry (midfield, Rangers), Calvin Ramsay (right back, Liverpool), Dire Mebude (forward, Man City), Barry Hepburn (forward, Bayern Munich)

17: Kerr Smith (centreback, Aston Villa), Charlie McArthur (centreback, Kilmarnock), Dylan Reid (midfield, St Mirren)

Good list mate. Certainly a lot of exciting young players in there. Hopefully a few make the breakthrough. For keepers you're maybe looking at Slicker at Man city/Archie Mair at Norwich

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, albagubrath said:

U16 squad announced this afternoon for Denmark friendlies:

As part of your regular reminder that, yes, you are really feckin old, those are Darren’s twin boys at City.

Thats absolutely quality!

Wonder what positions they play?

The good thing is that if they both turn out to be top players you would think the chance of England successfully poaching them would be nil!

11 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats absolutely quality!

Wonder what positions they play?

The good thing is that if they both turn out to be top players you would think the chance of England successfully poaching them would be nil!

Don't quote me on it, but I believe Jack is a centre back and Tyler is a midfielder.

I'm not sure if Rory is Steven's lad - I think he might be as I have a vague recollection of Steven's boy signing from Spartans for Hibs...?

I see Elliot Anderson started for Newcastle last night. Admittedly I have no idea how he played but he seems very highly thought of at Newcastle. Is he someone we should be getting into the squad to have a look at/tie down? If he was eligible for wales/ireland etc he's the type of player I reckon would be in and around their squad sooner rather than later. 

On 29/06/2022 at 13:25, albagubrath said:

Lennon Miller was on the bench yesterday for Motherwell, just a few days after turning 16.  Lennon is Lee Miller’s son.

On 28/08/2022 at 09:10, albagubrath said:

Lennon Miller was on the bench yesterday for Motherwell, just a few days after turning 16.  Lennon is Lee Miller’s son.

Made his debut last night.

From my list, the underlined players have now made their first team debut, those in bold are getting fairly regular first team football (temporary squad exclusions/injuries accepted):

I think that's fairly promising from a development perspective.