Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

I see Ben Doak has signed for Liverpool from celtic. Watching the u17s highlights this week he looked head and shoulders above everyone on the park. Hopefully he continues to progress! Below our u21s squad we seem to have a lot of exciting youngster at big clubs now. A couple at Bayern, A few at man city,  a few at liverpool now. Obviously they wont all make it but hopefully our 'Gareth Bale' is in there somewhere!!

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

I see Ben Doak has signed for Liverpool from celtic. Watching the u17s highlights this week he looked head and shoulders above everyone on the park. Hopefully he continues to progress! Below our u21s squad we seem to have a lot of exciting youngster at big clubs now. A couple at Bayern, A few at man city,  a few at liverpool now. Obviously they wont all make it but hopefully our 'Gareth Bale' is in there somewhere!!

You certainly hope so.  I don't know if we've lucked out in recent times, or whether our coaching/planning since 2012 has genuinely improved.

Our u21s seem to underperform irrespective of who is in the team  or who is in charge.  The current team does look like one of the weaker collections in the last decade, though the management is equally woeful.  Having no striker who can score 5/6 at u21 level is certainly a hinderance.

All of that said, we seem to only be creating full backs and centre mids at a good level.

Is Lowry, Wilson, or any others likely to make a decent Premiership/other top league striker any time soon?

• 1 month later...

U-21 squad announced. No Doig or Ramsay is surprising but I wouldn't imagine they'll be in the first team.

Anderson and Lowry both highly rated forward players (not strikers) so looking forward to Gemmill chucking them both up front chasing punts from the CBs.

On 01/04/2022 at 13:49, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

You certainly hope so.  I don't know if we've lucked out in recent times, or whether our coaching/planning since 2012 has genuinely improved.

Our u21s seem to underperform irrespective of who is in the team  or who is in charge.  The current team does look like one of the weaker collections in the last decade, though the management is equally woeful.  Having no striker who can score 5/6 at u21 level is certainly a hinderance.

All of that said, we seem to only be creating full backs and centre mids at a good level.

Is Lowry, Wilson, or any others likely to make a decent Premiership/other top league striker any time soon?

Back then some coaches and commentators said that we could be on course to be the next belgium, at the time our game was at it's lowest ebb and we all scoffed pish! nae chance same auld same auld & believe it when we see. perhaps it did work and we did have to give it time

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

On 28/03/2022 at 11:49, ahemps said:

I agree and it is a numbers game. The more we have at top clubs then the more we are eventually going to see filter through.

We have top players in Robertson and Gilmour who came through totally different routes. One way isn't a guaranteed success and the other doesn't mean you won't make it. It is totally individual.

for some players, after starting off at a top club and not becoming a first team player, the only way is down mentally. it all depends on an individuals mindset and is not linked to footballing abilities, so really it's just down to each individual case

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The Danes are massive compared to our players here. 

Hopefully it goes better than the Portugal game.

I read somewhere that we are one of the youngest squads in the tournament. Even 6-months age difference can be quite profound at that age group.

Whilst it wasn't exactly plain sailing, it was good to see them at least trying to play the right way. They got themselves into bother lots of times trying to play out from the back but they kept at it, and will learn considerably more from doing so than from hoofing it long every time like the 21s will. They also managed to put together some lovely passing moves. Much like the Portugal game, they were simply outclassed by a better team.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

@albagubrath

Aye they had a few decent spells and we were probably the better team prior to the first water break.

The physical thing is huge. In both games we had 15 year old school boys up against 16/17 year olds who had a year of professional training under their belts. 

Definitely. Only 5 of our squad are 17, and 3 are 15 including starting CM Lennon Miller. The Danes had 12 17 year olds and no 15 year olds. The squad comparison with Portugal was very similar.

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Happy for Mulligan, deserves his shot. Was hoping Sharp could get a shot in the net with there being nothing to play for, but alas.

Sinclairs incredibly highly rated and that, but it is a bit weird seeing him start when he's not played a senior game since December 2020, while Sharp got a handful of top flight games last season and sits on the bench.

Just now, RawB93 said:

Watching your club shrivel up and die?

I wouldn’t know, my beloved Sevco are in rude financial health.

Dundee, on the other hand, apparently recently employed Mark McGhee? How quaint.