Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

11 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Again for the second time we can't afford a coach like Maloney for the U21 we can barely afford Steve Clarke for the senior team,it's Scotland we are talking about Belgium are minted and rarely miss any finals night and day to compare us with them in any shape or form

How much does an assistant international coach earn? Martinez as manager is earning c.€1m, but Henry as one of the coaches is apparently earning only €50k. Presumably the SFA could offer more than the c.£40k Henry is getting. What does a Scotland U21 coach earn?

I think Henry is taking that role to be working with world class players and improve his own coaching abilities whilst, presumably, going through his badges rather than for the money. I doubt working with Stephen O'Donnell and Kevin Nisbet has the same clout for up and coming coaches. 

They're wrong, of course. 

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think Henry is taking that role to be working with world class players and improve his own coaching abilities whilst, presumably, going through his badges rather than for the money. I doubt working with Stephen O'Donnell and Kevin Nisbet has the same clout for up and coming coaches. 

They're wrong, of course. 

Working in the Scottish national team setup does have the same clout for up and coming Scottish coaches though. Listen Maloney's landed a great gig and good on him so there's no reason for him to come to the Scotland youth set up now, his careers going way along a different path now but a few years ago he would have jumped at the chance to manage the U21s. There will be other good young Scottish coaches who see and coach the game the same way as Maloney does who would also jump at the chance to manage the Scotland U21s right now 

1 minute ago, tartanbrush said:

Working in the Scottish national team setup does have the same clout for up and coming Scottish coaches though. Listen Maloney's landed a great gig and good on him so there's no reason for him to come to the Scotland youth set up now, his careers going way along a different path now but a few years ago he would have jumped at the chance to manage the U21s. There will be other good young Scottish coaches who see and coach the game the same way as Maloney does who would also jump at the chance to manage the Scotland U21s right now 

Doubt it. He was working with the Celtic youth teams who, almost certainly, pay more than the SFA and then he had a chance to go and work with the best international team in the world. At what point inbetween would the U21s been an attractive offer?

50 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Doubt it. He was working with the Celtic youth teams who, almost certainly, pay more than the SFA and then he had a chance to go and work with the best international team in the world. At what point inbetween would the U21s been an attractive offer?

I can think of a couple of things. One of them is that it might be something he cares about. I have no idea how much Maloney cares about Scotland tbh, but he had a decent enough international career and always put in an effort, so this may be something close to his heart (with a possible succession of SSC when he ever steps down).

The other is that it's a challenge. How much of a puzzle can it be to get Belgium firing? It seems like an easy gig. People are motivated by different things, but emotional attachment and the prospect of a challenge (and it's not without prestige) can be strong motivations.

Edited by velo army

To me, youth football at international level (and club level) is all about getting your players ready should they ever step up to the full squad. Surely then the first team manager should dictate what formation and tactics to use i.e all of the teams should play with the same formation and tactics. This would mean that when someone does step up, either naturally or in an emergency, the system is not totally alien to them.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Almost certainly pay more? Based on what evidence does a Celtic youth coach get paid more than the Scotland u21 manager? I absolutely do not know who gets paid more and neither do you. Managing the Scotland u21s would clearly be an attractive option for an up and coming Scottish coach

46 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Almost certainly pay more? Based on what evidence does a Celtic youth coach get paid more than the Scotland u21 manager? I absolutely do not know who gets paid more and neither do you. Managing the Scotland u21s would clearly be an attractive option for an up and coming Scottish coach

If the job was such a wonderful posting for a young up and coming manager,then why over past decade has it went to the same guys who aren't young?

Last one who fitted that ilk was Ricky Scabia touted as the next big thing and where is he now certainly not involved in the Scotland camp

Also what makes you think that Clark actually even wants to work with Maloney and isn't currently 100 per cent satisfied with his own staff?

Disrespect shown here to guys like Carver are totally bang out off order

It's a team game and all the back room guys have played there part getting us to were we are now two bawhairs away from the world Cup

Days off the Largs mafia is gone the SFA has put all the money into producing better players 

L

17 hours ago, Aufc said:

To me, youth football at international level (and club level) is all about getting your players ready should they ever step up to the full squad. Surely then the first team manager should dictate what formation and tactics to use i.e all of the teams should play with the same formation and tactics. This would mean that when someone does step up, either naturally or in an emergency, the system is not totally alien to them.

100% agree.

16 hours ago, General dissaray said:

If the job was such a wonderful posting for a young up and coming manager,then why over past decade has it went to the same guys who aren't young?

Last one who fitted that ilk was Ricky Scabia touted as the next big thing and where is he now certainly not involved in the Scotland camp

Also what makes you think that Clark actually even wants to work with Maloney and isn't currently 100 per cent satisfied with his own staff?

Disrespect shown here to guys like Carver are totally bang out off order

It's a team game and all the back room guys have played there part getting us to were we are now two bawhairs away from the world Cup

Days off the Largs mafia is gone the SFA has put all the money into producing better players 

L

Young Ricky Sbragia 😂 disrespect to Carver, what are you even talking about mate. Read the post. Were talking about the U21s not the full squad. I said Scotland U21s should have someone LIKE Shaun Maloney in charge, someone who sees the game plays the game and coaches the game the same way as he does, not the way Gemmil does.

2 hours ago, tartanbrush said:

Young Ricky Sbragia 😂 disrespect to Carver, what are you even talking about mate. Read the post. Were talking about the U21s not the full squad. I said Scotland U21s should have someone LIKE Shaun Maloney in charge, someone who sees the game plays the game and coaches the game the same way as he does, not the way Gemmil does.

I have read the full pages there are also people talking about Maloney as a assistant boss and Scabia was young when he was involved 

Maloney isn't walking away from being Belguim assistant to be the U21 boss for Scotland the fact your still bleating on about it,just proves the fact that you can't admit being wrong

Scotland u21 job isn't a attractive offer and isn't where the money is,we don't have any money this is Scotland we are talking about Clarke isn't even on a lot compared to other managers 

Just let it go mate it isn't going to happen and the idea that anybody thinks it will is fantasy island stuff

Edited by General dissaray

Im all for more gilmours and pattersons ! wild success stories so far an all positive.

But our performance against denmark was a real Scottish performance. filled with identity. 

The will to WIN is a big part of our game whether we like it or not, its the way we play our football .

Its all about finding a balance to suit the footballing identity in international football imo.

Edited by greenockraver

1 hour ago, Ewan8472 said:

How did he do ?

What position did he play ?

He came on in the 87th minute playing wide right, straight away got himself involved and played a nice ball up the line after holding off an opponent and then I don't think he touched the ball the rest of the game (which was about 6 mins!).

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He came on in the 87th minute playing wide right, straight away got himself involved and played a nice ball up the line after holding off an opponent and then I don't think he touched the ball the rest of the game (which was about 6 mins!).

Cheers

23 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Really annoyed me that Mckinstry didn't even get off the bench in either of the 21s games.  I don't need to see any more of the likes of Ben Williamson to know he's never going to be an international quality player.

What a job Scot Gemmill has done though eh.