Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

3 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Deary me the game hasn't moved on so much that left full backs no longer have to be able to defend. Josh Doing is okay, I also can't understand the fuss about him really, wasn't great last u21 game

Where did I say that they never needed to defend?Everyone needs to defend some are better than others at it though

And what I've saw off Doing he can defend and doesn't need to do it like a thug either like some off his team mates

21 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Games moved on its more about getting up a creating at left back but I'm sure his defending will improve over the years like Tavernier last year at Rangers and last few seasons over all

Tavernier still isn't a great defender but his upside is massive.

If Doig was getting double figures for goals and assists a season it would be a different conversation  but since he doesn't I'll look at the fact he constantly gets caught out with high balls to the back post and his positioning seems really poor. 

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Tavernier still isn't a great defender but his upside is massive.

If Doig was getting double figures for goals and assists a season it would be a different conversation  but since he doesn't I'll look at the fact he constantly gets caught out with high balls to the back post and his positioning seems really poor. 

Tavernier was on loan at Gateshead and Carlisle at his age,pretty much the same as playing for Pollok to be kind about Gateshead 

Josh Doig is a completely different player and miles ahead off Tavernier for his age

And Tavernier was hitting those figures at his age either that has been only a part of his game he developed a lot later

42 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Tavernier was on loan at Gateshead and Carlisle at his age,pretty much the same as playing for Pollok to be kind about Gateshead 

Josh Doig is a completely different player and miles ahead off Tavernier for his age

And Tavernier was hitting those figures at his age either that has been only a part of his game he developed a lot later

You seem to think I'm the one who compared him to Tavernier.  

Doig, imo, is an alright full back for 19.   I am baffled when there's talk of big transfer fees because I see nothing in his game to justify them, and some pretty glaring weaknesses which playing at a higher level would expose quickly.

No issue with him being in the 21s.  Would be ridiculous to see him in the full squad.

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Doig, imo, is an alright full back for 19.   I am baffled when there's talk of big transfer fees because I see nothing in his game to justify them, and some pretty glaring weaknesses which playing at a higher level would expose quickly.

No issue with him being in the 21s.  Would be ridiculous to see him in the full squad.

Aye heard the same patter when Robertson joined Hull,maybe Doig isn't heading to the EPL in a massive move

How ever he could easily find football for a champions league team in Belgium or Turkey 

And if any off those kind off teams were in for him surely his development would be just as good there than the English championship for a Sheff Utd or someone?

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

My thing though is when we get players like Doig coming through there is always someone waiting to take a pop

It's like for some reason in Scotland we always want to knock peaple instead of encouraging them

Ramsay at Aberdeen as well played less but it doesn't mean we can't be exited about him as well cos he looks really good 

And Paterson and Gilmour already broke into the seniors,so I'm quite happy about who we have right now

And I would be delighted if I saw our u21 team qualify when we weren't qualifying used to love seeing players like Faddy Snoddy the Fletchers come through them

Right now even at that level we look like we have some really good players and even ones that don't quite go as far or stay at big clubs

Drop to English league one and take a step back to kick on so it isn't entirely disappointing were we are just now player wise it's only disappointing we don't qualify and seem to bottle it in last few games

On 29/10/2021 at 18:05, Central Belt Caley said:

Obviously a bit biased here but not sure what Roddy Macgregor and Robbie Deas need to do to get a look in to these squads. Both playing regular senior football albeit at Championship level 

Kyle Joseph should be in here he is back on loan in league one at Cheltenham and is scoring goals very good player 

• 2 weeks later...