Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

The U16s lost 1-0 away to Northern Ireland in the Victory Shield. You'd be hard pressed to find any information on it at all, even on the SFA website (or at least it's not immediately obvious).

Northern Ireland live streamed it (the stream is still available to watch if you are super interested) - I watched a bit and though the boys did well. They were keeping possession and dominating but were repeatedly caught on the break. To my eye our boys were technically superior, but the Northern Irish boys were better set up and played very well to their strengths.

Harrison Ashby looking impressive for West Ham 23s. Part of the side that humped Man United 6-0 the other day. Been on the bench for the last couple of senior games as well. I imagine he will make his Europen debut once West Ham qualify for the knockout rounds. In 13 games he's scored four and had six assists from right back. 

He’s 19 and hasn’t played a senior game of football. I tend to be wary of players like that, Charlie Gilmour for example was 19 and played in the Europa League for Arsenal - now on loan at Alloa from St Johnstone at 22.

Ashby does look pretty good but really he needs to play regular senior football soon.

7 hours ago, Paco said:

He’s 19 and hasn’t played a senior game of football. I tend to be wary of players like that, Charlie Gilmour for example was 19 and played in the Europa League for Arsenal - now on loan at Alloa from St Johnstone at 22.

Ashby does look pretty good but really he needs to play regular senior football soon.

Two Scottish twins been on bench for Spurs to in European games this year 

Good looking squad.

Really good to see that by my count we've 3 keepers, 2 defenders, 4 midfielders and 3 forwards involved with English Premier League clubs with Hickey of course trumping the lot and playing first team in Serie A.

I know that a lot of these lads are out on loans and many will probably never play in the English top flight but I've absolutely no doubt that being part of these academy systems will be giving them the best possible level of training and development. And just as importantly if they're getting picked up by these clubs it's a sign that to some degree there are the raw materials there and we've talent being produced.

There are no guarantees any of these lads will come through and play for the full team one day but it's got to be a good sign surely.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Starting to look a bit comical having Hickey at this level. I know he might still be named in the full squad, but come on...

Is it though? England have numerous top level players in their 21’s side and Hickey has world class players in front of him for the main squad. 

It’ll be good to see how he fits in and compares to the other 21 players, if he actually turns up that is. 

Hickey in the 21s is purely going to be to try and improve their results.  He'll learn absolutely nowt at that level from either the coaches or players he's with/up against.

And that's fine.  If Tierney isn't fit though, get him straight in the full squad unless there's still folk out there who think Josh Doig is a better player

12 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Hickey in the 21s is purely going to be to try and improve their results.  He'll learn absolutely nowt at that level from either the coaches or players he's with/up against.

And that's fine.  If Tierney isn't fit though, get him straight in the full squad unless there's still folk out there who think Josh Doig is a better player

Josh Doig is class even Steven Gerrard raves about him,hopefully he gets a big move in January he could play abroad as well easily