Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

2 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

On paper it probably looks like one of the better squads but Scott Gemmill is absolutely clueless. The u21s surely have to play the same formation as the main squad so the players can step up. Every level should play the same formation

That is stupid.

There is no reason the U21s have to play the same formation as the big team. usually only 2 or 3 guys are good enough to step up to the full squad immediately. So if they aren't going to be involved for another couple of years the tactics might have massively changed.

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

That is stupid.

There is no reason the U21s have to play the same formation as the big team. usually only 2 or 3 guys are good enough to step up to the full squad immediately. So if they aren't going to be involved for another couple of years the tactics might have massively changed.

That's what Belgium did, through every level 

1 minute ago, Binos said:

That's what Belgium did, through every level 

Aye I'm all for it if we are looking to play like Belgium or Denmark's senior teams but no way should our youth teams be looking to play the way our senior team play, we have to be aiming way higher than that or we will forever be watching rank rotten football through all levels. I have literally watched some of our youth sides pass Spain, Germany etc off the park, it gets to 21s level and Gemmil throws it all out the window and sets us up in a way to prevent the other side playing instead of focusing on ourselves!

And they had the oldest squad at the Euros so it doesn't seem to be working.
The system Belgium have doesn't seem to be working? Are you shitting me. Yeah they might have had the oldest squad but you can't say their system over the last 20 years isn't working. The whole point of the Scotland youth teams is to build toward getting them into the main team

12 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Aye I'm all for it if we are looking to play like Belgium or Denmark's senior teams but no way should our youth teams be looking to play the way our senior team play, we have to be aiming way higher than that or we will forever be watching rank rotten football through all levels. I have literally watched some of our youth sides pass Spain, Germany etc off the park, it gets to 21s level and Gemmil throws it all out the window and sets us up in a way to prevent the other side playing instead of focusing on ourselves!

Like Steve Clarke does too

12 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

What exactly is Gemmill's remit? 

We don't get results, play decent football or improve any players at that level.   

Montgomery looks a prospect 

That's about it 

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:
11 minutes ago, Jim McLean said:
And they had the oldest squad at the Euros so it doesn't seem to be working.

The system Belgium have doesn't seem to be working? Are you shitting me. Yeah they might have had the oldest squad but you can't say their system over the last 20 years isn't working. The whole point of the Scotland youth teams is to build toward getting them into the main team

having a bunch of good players come together at the same time has very little to do with how they played at U21 level. They all played for some of the biggest clubs in europe.

Hazard, De Bruyne, Lukaku barely played a game at u21 between them.

Other than being an international select u21 football has very little to do with progress to the full side.

49 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Fiorini through the middle now. Gemmill is a fucking moron. 

Fiorini was pish throughout infact he didnt even look fit (he's at Lincoln city?). As was Boroughs. Pity Gemmil can't look further than England and the old firm. maybe if he had a proper look at MacGregor and Deas at ICT, guys who are actually playing senior fotball week in week out and playing very well. Form doesnt seem to count as much as which club you are at....

Dear me that was a weird match.

Some of the Danish players had composure that we just couldn’t match.

I know for a fact some of the players in our team are good, because I’ve seen it at club level but none of them looked like they’d seen a ball before.

Definitely on board with the “Get Gemmil to f**k” shouts on here.

4-4-2 with 2 midfielders up top, bringing on a striker at 1-0 down and playing him out wide, utterly bizarre.

We only had 2 shots on target and both were from distance, probably won’t be making the effort to go back to a U21 game again tbqh, that was guff.