Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

4 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Theoretically you need what, 2-3 per position once per decade or so to have a very good national side? On that basis, very crudely, you are only looking for 2 or 3 very good prospects to emerge each year which should be achievable.

That's why the emergence of Hickey (and to a lesser extent Doig) for instance is actually excellent for us (many have bemoaned he is another left back). Sure, we have two excellent left backs ahead of him, but Robertson is 8 years older than him. Over the next 3-4 years we transition Hickey into the squad and we have that position covered for another 10-15 years with a top class performer. That kind of consistency in a position isn't something we have been good at. It could help us build a real identity around how we play.

I can see it now. Scotland, generally shite but with brilliant left backs. 

The U-21 November qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belgium will be played at Tannadice. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/under-21s-to-face-kazakhstan-and-belgium-at-tannadice-park/?rid=13925

It’s good to see some games move out of the Central Belt. 

17 year old Josh Adam scored 4 goals for Man City yesterday. Only u18s but that is still highly encouraging. He's down as a midfielder, but maybe will be a striker long term? Who knows. It's been so long since we've had any promising young strikers breaking through anywhere.

I was at Bradford Vs Rochdale yesterday and Under-21 cap Elliot Watt won MotM and ran the show in the centre of midfield, often sitting in front of the centre halves and sometimes dropping back into a back 3.

League 2 level, but a very accomplished performance from him, not sure how regularly he's in the 21 squad but he's not 22 until next March so lots of time to kick on.

14 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

17 year old Josh Adam scored 4 goals for Man City yesterday. Only u18s but that is still highly encouraging. He's down as a midfielder, but maybe will be a striker long term? Who knows. It's been so long since we've had any promising young strikers breaking through anywhere.

I see Mebude scored in the same game. Is he involved in the Scottish squads?

Anyone else heading along to the U21 game tonight?

Went to buy tickets online and the site is trying to charge me £3 in fees for 2 x £8 tickets? I know it’s only £3 but that’s increasing the price of my ticket by 37%, what the f**k is that all about? 

Will just buy on the gate instead.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Middleton will be up front, and I'd imagine Montgomery is left-wing rather than being in a back three. Based on watching him I'd say he's not even a full-back, let alone a centre-back.

Not watched much Premiership football, does he not look upto much?