Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try and go something like this. Doig playing in the Tierney role at left centre back, and Banks and Middleton fairly free in the attacking roles. 

Slicker

Mayo, Welsh, Doig

Ramsay,                                     Hickey

Fiorini, Kelly

Banks         Middleton

Scott

4 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Gemmill always plays with a back four. Middleton played as the central striker v Turkey.

I know, but he’s a lunatic. My post is what I would have picked!

Middleton wasn’t great in the central role against Turkey IMO, despite his goal. He’s much more effective wide, again, IMO.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

????

Ashby Welsh Mayo Doig

Wiliamson Kelly Banks

Scott Stretton Middleton

Ramsay or Hickey could start as full backs as well.

Slicker has benched for Man City so deserves to be seen as #1 for me.

Ramsay in at right back over Ashby on the basis Ramsay looks excellent and I have never seen Ashby play!

Williamson has been decent for Livi, so I wouldn’t be upset to see him start. Fiorini must start too though, both for his form last year at Breda and as he appears to be doing pretty well this year for Lincoln.

6 hours ago, albagubrath said:

I'd try and go something like this. Doig playing in the Tierney role at left centre back, and Banks and Middleton fairly free in the attacking roles. 

Slicker

Mayo, Welsh, Doig

Ramsay,                                     Hickey

Fiorini, Kelly

Banks         Middleton

Scott

If you were going to do that, I'd swap Hickey and Doig.  Hickey has played CH in a 3 before

7 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Slicker has benched for Man City so deserves to be seen as #1 for me.

Ramsay in at right back over Ashby on the basis Ramsay looks excellent and I have never seen Ashby play!

Williamson has been decent for Livi, so I wouldn’t be upset to see him start. Fiorini must start too though, both for his form last year at Breda and as he appears to be doing pretty well this year for Lincoln.

That's maybe getting ahead of ourselves but he was decent on Sunday. He's rarely played for us so far

1 minute ago, tartanbrush said:

There are quite a few JD Performance School players now in the U21s, never seen that many before, all good players as well, I'm sure Billy Gilmours age group was the first Performance School intake so I wonder if this is us starting to see some more follow him through

It was always supposed to be around 2020 that the performance school kids started to break through. There are 9 in that squad, with the two other obvious ones worth mentioning Gilmour himself and Patterson who I believe also attended one? The SFA are extremely inconsistent with the squad announcement information, so I have no idea how many of the largely home-based squad that played Turkey were also PS participants.

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

It was always supposed to be around 2020 that the performance school kids started to break through. There are 9 in that squad, with the two other obvious ones worth mentioning Gilmour himself and Patterson who I believe also attended one? The SFA are extremely inconsistent with the squad announcement information, so I have no idea how many of the largely home-based squad that played Turkey were also PS participants.

Yeah you are correct Patterson also attended one of the Performance Schools. From the players in that squad I am aware of the Performance School lads are all technically very good, hopefully they progress now as this is the crucial ages where some tend to fall by the way side, hopefully though this is the start of a Golden Generation! 

Have we ever had as much young players scattered around 'big clubs' as we have just now? looking at the younger squads we seem to have a few at man city, Bayern etc. along with a large number at English premier league clubs. Obviously they wont all make it but even if 2 or 3 make the break through along with the younger players already in the first team squad it looks like it could possibly be an exciting period for Scottish football 

21 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Have we ever had as much young players scattered around 'big clubs' as we have just now? looking at the younger squads we seem to have a few at man city, Bayern etc. along with a large number at English premier league clubs. Obviously they wont all make it but even if 2 or 3 make the break through along with the younger players already in the first team squad it looks like it could possibly be an exciting period for Scottish football 

Theoretically you need what, 2-3 per position once per decade or so to have a very good national side? On that basis, very crudely, you are only looking for 2 or 3 very good prospects to emerge each year which should be achievable.

That's why the emergence of Hickey (and to a lesser extent Doig) for instance is actually excellent for us (many have bemoaned he is another left back). Sure, we have two excellent left backs ahead of him, but Robertson is 8 years older than him. Over the next 3-4 years we transition Hickey into the squad and we have that position covered for another 10-15 years with a top class performer. That kind of consistency in a position isn't something we have been good at. It could help us build a real identity around how we play.