Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Anyone know how much of this squad has come through the “new” SFA performance schools? Or where this info is available?

Would be good to see the contribution they are making to all the youth team squads

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ooft, just seen the score, still ages to go but you can't be losing to North Ireland at youth level.  

Aye you can, it doesn't matter that much. We have a young team at that level and a new team too. The job of the u21's is to produce players for the first team, their results aren't especially important. 

A lot of good prospects in our side so that's all I'm bothered about.

7 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Aye you can, it doesn't matter that much. We have a young team at that level and a new team too. The job of the u21's is to produce players for the first team, their results aren't especially important. 

But he was shite at that too.

Never played an attacking line up. Turnbull and Gilmour regularly on the bench so Gemmill could play 3 defensive midfielders.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

But he was shite at that too.

Never played an attacking line up. Turnbull and Gilmour regularly on the bench so Gemmill could play 3 defensive midfielders.

Aye but they're both in the senior squad now aren't they?  So that's success. I'm not so sure Gilmour was on the bench that often either tbh.

14 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

The job of every football team at every level of the sport is to compete and win games.  Being one of the top 16 teams at u17 and u19 level, to then drop well outwith the top 24 teams at u21 level is not acceptable.

Our u21 management team - for years - have been utterly useless and achieved nothing, despite having some pretty decent talent available.

Producing players to make the step up to the full side would be helped by winning games, and at least threatening to make it to finals tournaments.

All of that said, this current u21 team is probably the weakest and least experienced squad in recent memory.  Which makes the capitulation in Greece earlier in the year - with a very strong squad - all the less acceptable.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

4 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The job of every football team at every level of the sport is to compete and win games.  Being one of the top 16 teams at u17 and u19 level, to then drop well outwith the top 24 teams at u21 level is not acceptable.

Our u21 management team - for years - have been utterly useless and achieved nothing, despite having some pretty decent talent available.

Producing players to make the step up to the full side would be helped by winning games, and at least threatening to make it to finals tournaments.

All of that said, this current u21 team is probably the weakest and least experienced squad in recent memory.  Which makes the capitulation in Greece earlier in the year - with a very strong squad - all the less acceptable.

Don't blame Scott Gemmill, blame not having colts in the SPFL IMO.

Spoiler

I'm not being serious.

On 03/06/2021 at 10:10, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I agree with all of that, apart from the first sentence tbh.

Winning games is good, but its really not the main aim. Or shouldn't be.

I remember a while ago Gemmill was asked about hickey not being involved. And he started going on about the left back they had, (name escapes me) who was playing English league 1 or 2. And saying how he can't just drop him out the team for hickey and how they have a responsibility to the players to bring them all through.

To me its just bizzare, you don't have a responsibility to the player, the responsibility is to create players to be promoted. If that means ditching your 21 year old physically developed but limited footballing left back. For an 18 year old with lots of talent. Who needs games and to develop himself physically. Than thats who you play.

I didn't believe him in any case, he was picking the 21 year old. Cos he could run faster and kick the ball further.

How is Gemmill still in a job, its scandalous.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We always have a handful of players in our 21 squads, eligible through the grandparent rule and you often wonder what the chances are of them actually choosing to play for Scotland if they are any good.  I think Harrison Ashby is one, should we really be giving these players experience when there are the likes of Calvin Ramsay who is excelling on that position...

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We always have a handful of players in our 21 squads, eligible through the grandparent rule and you often wonder what the chances are of them actually choosing to play for Scotland if they are any good.  I think Harrison Ashby is one, should we really be giving these players experience when there are the likes of Calvin Ramsay who is excelling on that position...

I guess the idea is that these dual-qualified players will be more likely to play for us at full level if we've helped a bit with their development., although that idea hasn't worked out for the Irish recently with Jack Grealish and Declan Rice. Wales and NI sometimes cap younger English-born players at silly young age in full competitive games to cap-tie them. e.g. Ethan Ampadu

13 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I guess the idea is that these dual-qualified players will be more likely to play for us at full level if we've helped a bit with their development., although that idea hasn't worked out for the Irish recently with Jack Grealish and Declan Rice. Wales and NI sometimes cap younger English-born players at silly young age in full competitive games to cap-tie them. e.g. Ethan Ampadu

Yeah, I think the Rice/Grealish route is the more likely to happen. 

I was gonna say that Ramsay must just be in the u19 squad but they've not even got a game until November seemingly? Considering there's only one other RB, I don't understand why he's not there. Patterson must be in the senior squad too.