Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Was Stevie May a Saint when he was capped ?

Nope, his 27 goal season saw Strachan call up an ageing Kris Boyd in his place.

May made one appearance for Scotland, against England whilst at Wednesday.

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

Nope, his 27 goal season saw Strachan call up an ageing Kris Boyd in his place.

May made one appearance for Scotland, against England whilst at Wednesday.

Kris Boyd scored more Premiership goals than May that season, despite playing in a worse team. He was also only 30 years old. His call-up came in November, by which point May had three months of regular top flight football under his belt. Calling May up at that point would have been the equivalent of calling up Callum Hendry after his wee purple patch last season.

On 19/11/2020 at 08:38, RandomGuy. said:

This is a topic for youth level, where, em, Scotland decided to call up players who couldn't get a game for County, instead of arguably the best U21 CM in the Country last season.

Simply because one was contracted to Celtic.

A year on and one has started consecutive games for Northern Ireland, winning MOM, while the other hasn't played a senior game since January.

Our coaches rate players potential on what club they play for, nothing more. 

If a guy has the chance to play international football at 20 he is going to take it

At best right now he would be fighting with Ferguson Kelly Smith who are of age and still playing at there clubs and Turnbull will play to of he gets into the Celtic team

Would have took him though defiantly a good one who we might rue missing out on it he goes away and does something

17 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

If a guy has the chance to play international football at 20 he is going to take it

At best right now he would be fighting with Ferguson Kelly Smith who are of age and still playing at there clubs and Turnbull will play to of he gets into the Celtic team

Would have took him though defiantly a good one who we might rue missing out on it he goes away and does something

their clubs

13 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

Liam Morrison doesn't seem to be featuring from the Bayern Munich under 19's after impressing for the 17's last season.  https://www.transfermarkt.com.mt/liam-morrison/profil/spieler/567114

I really wouldnae worry too much about that right now.  He's 17, give him a couple of years.  

14 hours ago, Andrew Driver said:

Everyone else playing for the Bayern Munich 19's are 17 years old.  https://www.transfermarkt.com.mt/fc-bayern-munchen-u19/transfers/verein/1462/saison_id/2020

They have played 4 games if I am reading that correctly? I think he was also injured for while?

Scotland have 3 quality centre backs coming through in my opinion. Liam Morrison at Bayern, Lewis Mayo and Leon King at Rangers.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Leaving out one of the best teenagers in the Premiership this season [emoji2369] I know Welsh and Deas are CBs but not sure who else is ahead of him.

I thought Scott Banks had patched us but clearly not. Has he been any good for Dunfermline?20210525_121432.thumb.jpeg.854cf399738b074428fcded59ab0fdd4.jpeg

44 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Leaving out one of the best teenagers in the Premiership this season emoji2369.png I know Welsh and Deas are CBs but not sure who else is ahead of him.

I thought Scott Banks had patched us but clearly not. Has he been any good for Dunfermline?20210525_121432.thumb.jpeg.854cf399738b074428fcded59ab0fdd4.jpeg

The most notable name on the sheet is our Athletic Bilbao striker, Ewan Urain.

Was some interesting write ups about him a year or so ago. Hopefully see some game time.

Overall a very interesting and new squad. 

It's a class squad with loads of good young players. Very exciting.
I would imagine Hamilton maybe is getting a rest after a long season, no danger is he not there on merit.
Someone on Twitter has said Accies blocked his involvement.

From a club POV I hope that's because they've got a deal ready to go with another team and don't want an U21 friendly to be a risk/distraction, but it would have been a nice reward and recognition for him after a really tough season. Also a chance to make an early impression.