Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

I would suggest Stephen Kelly has a chance too. Only 19 and shouldn’t be judged on Gemmell playing him wildly out of position.

The Gemmill factor should be accounted for all of the squad. By all accounts he’s an intelligent, likeable man. His teams look utterly bereft of creativity and organisation though.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The part where he said "not much to be optimistic about the future there" and "I think it's fair to say this isn't going to be a golden generation" which seemed to mainly be based directly on last night's game since he gave specific examples of players making individual errors. Of last night's team, I would be very surprised if Ferguson and Hornby don't end up playing for Scotland. I think Campbell has a decent chance too. The fact that they were relatively poor last night doesn't change that.

I reckon I've seen him play full games at least 20 times across Raith, Rangers, Hamburg, Scotland U21s and Scotland - the most recent was probably for Scotland against San Marino in March, because he's barely played a game of football since then.

We've all seen those, you said you saw him with your own eyes and therefore.dismissed his.time at Hamburg, so how many times and how long ago?

Really?  You'd take.issue with Gilmour, Johnson, Ferguson and Hornby?  Really?

I’d say Gilmour and Johnson have the best chance. No issue with the predictions for them.

Ferguson could go either way - perhaps a John Fleck type career. Hornby I think will disappear to the English lower leagues.

Edit: the caveat being the dreadful coaching these guys are getting from Stark/Gemmill.

George Johnston is 21 and has never played a senior game.

I've only ever seen him last night, where he played sort of okay, but I'm struggling to see why everyones convinced hes going to be able to step tbh. He wont get U21 games for much longer, and will return to youth football at club level until he eventually gets a chance.

I think hes less than 2 years younger than McKenna and McBurnie, yet is light years behind them at club level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I've only ever seen him last night, where he played sort of okay, but I'm struggling to see why everyones convinced hes going to be able to step tbh. He wont get U21 games for much longer, and will return to youth football at club level until he eventually gets a chance.
I think hes less than 2 years younger than McKenna and McBurnie, yet is light years behind them at club level.

Paucity of options ahead of him, I’d suggest.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Paucity of options ahead of him, I’d suggest.

Still cant see it with him, hes miles away from it just now and needs to be playing regular mens football soon. If he doesnt get a loan move then he'll likely be turning 22 without a single senior game. McKenna, Devlin, Cooper etc. still have at least 5/6 years in them, by that time someone else better than Johnston will have emerged and he'll be skipped over.

Keepers I can see getting a cap as theyve not got much in front of them over the next 5/6 years. I can see Ferguson, Middleton and Hornby getting the odd cap when they hit a purple patch in a few years, but they'll probably struggle to hit double figures in starts for the Country. Gilmour the only one I'd expect to be a regular. The rest I just dont see ever being better than what's in front of them.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bollocks, he would be starting every week at the level McKenna is playing at.  He strolled through that last night and will obviously play for Scotland.

I went along and it was much like Lithuania last month but with a predictable sting in the tail.

We did not play well and did not seem to do anything to try and take the game to them... other than putting Middleton down left wing where he looked the best player, despite only being a cameo... even once facing 10-men. Gemmill's post-match quotes quite positive oddly enough.

So this leaves us 3rd at halfway... 2pts behind Greece (but they've 1 game in hand), behind Czechs on GD (ditto), and 2pts ahead of Croatia (but they've 2 games-in-hand). Very possible to finish 2nd but challenging give we've away trips to Lithuania + Greece and home games with Czechs + Croats.

Scott Gemmill is very one dimensional the way he set’s teams up which suits us away from home where we keep things tight and narrow and feed off the scraps (recent wins in Netherlands and Croatia, and a good draw in Czech Rep illustrate this), but he also plays this way at home which gets us nowhere, last gasp draw against Latvia and defeat by Ukraine last campaign, an unimpressive win over San Marino followed by and insipid draw against Lithuania and a poor defeat against Greece this campaign.   There is little consistency.

We haven’t scored in three consecutive games, and the fact he didn’t get Middleton on as soon as the Greeks went down to 10 men is criminal. Too often Hornby is left isolated, starved of service.  We now need another couple of big wins to keep in touch at the top of the group, starting at home against the Croats and then away to the Greeks in March.

If we don’t qualify this time round he should go. Career wise he needs to get out into club management and broaden his horizons, and we need a fresh start.

• 11 months later...
28 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

Looking at the table I think a draw would do us fine against Croatia.    If Croatia win tomorrow they'll win the group.  

https://www.uefa.com/under21/teams/

Has Josh Doig been called in yet?

Surely a no brainer what with the ones who pulled out?

Been quality for Hibs this season