Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Am I right in saying Kelly was playing on the wing? Gemmil must be clueless.

Looked like it from the early part of the match I saw. Ferguson and Gilmour deep, Campbell behind the striker and Holsgrove left, Kelly right.

I only saw the first 15 minutes or so, then the last 20 minutes 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Looked like it from the early part of the match I saw. Ferguson and Gilmour deep, Campbell behind the striker and Holsgrove left, Kelly right.

I only saw the first 15 minutes or so, then the last 20 minutes 

It was a narrow 4 with Campbell in front supporting Hornby.

It worked quite well in the first half but the greeks had it solved at half time  and we never had the ball until after the red card.

Just back from Tynecastle. Gilmour apart, not much to be optimistic about the future there. Johnston did ok and Middleton looked a threat when he came on, but Gilmour looked the only one remotely capable of stepping up to the full side anytime soon. 

First time I saw Gilmour play for the Under 21s, a couple of years ago, I thought, ‘Bloody hell, he’s tiny.’ Tonight I thought exactly the same. Doesn’t look like he’s going to grow or fill out much, but he definitely has ability. He had some lovely touches at times, and always finds space, and his passing is crisp and accurate. It wasn’t the best I’ve seen him, but he still looked several leagues above most of his compatriots, who were average at best.

I was never remotely impressed by Barry McGuire when he played at Queens on loan, and one particularly comical moment, when he totally misjudged his leap to head a high ball (under absolutely no pressure) and ended up inadvertently heading it backwards, was probably only the third most inept moment of the game: Campbell’s attempt at a volley from the edge of the box when he ended up barely touching the ball, and taking out an opponent to pick up a yellow card, and Harvie’s needless handball in the box at the end were even worse. I think it’s fair to say this isn’t going to be a golden generation.

Edited by Frankie S

I too like to make snap judgements on players based on a single game.
If you are referring to the post before yours, FrankieS clearly states that he's watched Billy Gilmour and Barry McGuire tonight and at least once before. So not sure where you're pulling the 'single game' thing from.

Just back from Tynecastle. Gilmour apart, not much to be optimistic about the future there. Johnson did ok and Middleton looked a threat when he came on, but Gilmour looked the only one remotely capable of stepping up to the full side anytime soon. 
First time I saw Gilmour play for the Under 21s, a couple of years ago, I thought, ‘Bloody hell, he’s tiny.’ Tonight I thought exactly the same. Doesn’t look like he’s going to grow or fill out much, but he definitely has ability. He had some lovely touches at times, and always finds space, and his passing is crisp and accurate. It wasn’t the best I’ve seen him, but he still looked several leagues above most of his compatriots, who were average at best.
I was never remotely impressed by Barry McGuire when he played at Queens on loan, and one particularly comical moment, when he totally misjudged his leap to head a high ball (under absolutely no pressure) and ended up inadvertently heading it backwards, was probably only the third most inept moment of the game: Campbell’s attempt at a volley from the edge of the box when he ended up barely touching the ball, and taking out an opponent to pick up a yellow card, and Harvie’s needless handball in the box at the end were even worse. I think it’s fair to say this isn’t going to be a golden generation.

Watched game on YouTube. I’d have said 3 players impressed Johnston, Campbell and middleton. You could see there’s a player in Kelly as well with his touches and technique, out of position though. Think Gemmill is another coach that over complicates

Probably a daft question; How was Ferguson in the second half?

I watched the first half and he was used as the deep layer, breaking up the play. Thought he did the job admirably, but he's so much better with the leish off.

Disappointed to see the final result after a solid first half. Were we particularly bad in the the second half?

2 hours ago, tartanbrush said:

Only Gilmour, the two keepers, Ross McCrorie, Mikey Johnston and maybe George Johnston, Glenn Middleton and Fraser Hornby have a chance to step up. The rest such as Campbell Ferguson etc are pretty bang average.

Id agree with that group. 

Campbell really annoyed me last night. Firstly because of the bizarre decision to play a hard working ball winning type player as a number 10.

Secondly because he is exactly the sort of player who gets celebrated in Scotland - works hard, does the dirty work well etc but ultimately he does not have the technical or physical capacity to compete at the top level. He'll probably get 50 caps and we'll be wondering why we don't qualify for major tournaments. 

4 hours ago, tartanbrush said:

Only Gilmour, the two keepers, Ross McCrorie, Mikey Johnston and maybe George Johnston, Glenn Middleton and Fraser Hornby have a chance to step up. The rest such as Campbell Ferguson etc are pretty bang average.

Ferguson is very good.

7 players capable of stepping up? That's a decent amount

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
11 hours ago, craigkillie said:
I too like to make snap judgements on players based on a single game.

If you are referring to the post before yours, FrankieS clearly states that he's watched Billy Gilmour and Barry McGuire tonight and at least once before. So not sure where you're pulling the 'single game' thing from.

The part where he said "not much to be optimistic about the future there" and "I think it's fair to say this isn't going to be a golden generation" which seemed to mainly be based directly on last night's game since he gave specific examples of players making individual errors. Of last night's team, I would be very surprised if Ferguson and Hornby don't end up playing for Scotland. I think Campbell has a decent chance too. The fact that they were relatively poor last night doesn't change that.

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

You mean like you've done with David Bates?  How many times did you see him play?  How long ago?

I reckon I've seen him play full games at least 20 times across Raith, Rangers, Hamburg, Scotland U21s and Scotland - the most recent was probably for Scotland against San Marino in March, because he's barely played a game of football since then.