The Edinburgh City red motor vehicle comparison thread

tamthebam

post-12982-0-72718100-1377637068.jpg

Last week I compared City to the above, rather than the sleek red Ferrari Testarossa they should be. So now I shall try and keep this comparison up throughout the season or until I get bored with the whole thing (in about 5 weeks probably).

After a solid display against Spartans on Saturday and a game in which we might have cheekily nicked a win if it wasn't for a couple of good saves by Spamtins' Man of the Match Scott Bennett (always thought he was a decent gk) I have upgraded City to the level of Postman Pat's van this week. Workmanlike and unspectacular, never likely to win any races, but fairly reliable.

post-12982-0-32339700-1377637310.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok.. scored early on, missed two penalties, expected that to cost us but the team was fairly solid and we ground out our first win. It was nice to take a return trip to Dalbeattie- friendly people there although they don't do the doorstop sandwiches they used to anymore. I also liked looking at a couple of the South of Scotland trophies that Dalbeattie won last season- the cups were over 100 years old and rather decorative.

so this week's vehicle is:

post-12982-0-23316200-1377984220.jpg

a London Transport Routemaster. Solid, reliable but not the most comfortable and instead of going from A to B they tend to take roundabout routes before eventually reaching their destination. Still this week It's a good life on the buses..

post-12982-0-82762700-1377984311.jpg

"I 'ate you City, you've bust me coupon..."

another post in the thread you can safely ignore...

so what will today's red vehicle be... well.. all will be revealed shortly. Firstly the game. I heard the Vale secretary's pre-match comments on the 62 bus going down- City are apparently Vale's bogey team at Victoria Park which was news to me as I thought we tend to play crap down there. Anyway we won thanks to goals from Stenhoose and Sumo and some cracking saves from Stobie. The two kids Sparky and Ozzy did very well, not giving the Vale defence peace. We also brought on a trialist who'll have to be fitted with a red flashing light on his heid to warn low flying aircraft.

You could say today was one of those "what goes around, comes around" days in that a match earlier in the season saw City players booked for challenges while similar challenges went unpunished when committed by the opposition. Well, today was the opposite- the third Vale player booked was unfortunate to my mind (the first two Vale cautions were deserved so get it roond ye) and we got away with one or two "tasty" ones..

So this week City are like the following vehicle:

post-12982-0-20177300-1378589571.jpg

Stobie wanted it to be the Ferrari this week. Sorry, no- a late goal was conceded so not quite up to Testarossa standard unfortunately. Why a tractor? Because we went down to Borders Farming country where Black Bob of "Dandy" fame came from. And also because the Vale players were a bit rattled when we went one up and its always fustrating being behind a tractor.. as a concession to our shotstopper though, this is the Ferrari Testarossa of the tractor world though!

post-12982-0-42286500-1378589732_thumb.j

Black Bob- the Dandy Wonder Dog...

well it's off for a weekend jolly in Inversneckie- I've never been further north than Dingwall on the East Coast (been to Lochinver in the west..) so going up to Golspie feels like a trip into Siberia

post-12982-0-96847600-1379022633.jpg

reader: you cheating bam Tam, that train is green..

me: it's a Soviet train therefore it is a "red" vehicle, although granted it doesn't have a motor. I would sing "samovar over the rainbow" but Putin doesn't like friends of Dorothy..

Good luck to all in the Scottish Cup!

and so.... fanfare please

tantantaaaran

Edinburgh City had to travel a long way on a potentially dangerous mission only to return in triumph so this week's vehicle is

post-12982-0-59235000-1379357792.jpg

Tintin's Space Rocket

a reader comments

"you cheating b*****d- that's a rocket, not a motor vehicle"

a bam replies:

"I refer to the blueprint on page 35 of "Destination Moon" which shows that the rocket has motors. It has motors and is a vehicle. And besides, the Golspie manager was a bit of a rocket on the pitch so it's appropriate!"

and now our reward is a home tie against the Broch- I hope they'll bring a few supporters down:

post-12982-0-22232100-1379358046.png

"more steam McPhail- we have to make Leith for the kick off on October 5th..."

Dougie giving it large in the Evening News last night.....

...disaster looms! :rolleyes:

It's now called the Rosewell Reporter, does this new lad not realise there are other teams besides Whitehill exist, he's more like pelele* than Pele?

Not that I'm bothered, I mean why should Edinburgh's 3rd club get a mention, s'pose it's less pressure & what with us sitting pretty top o' the Lowland League an'aw.

Grimbo

* google it.

I'm sorry, who are Spamtins? Anyway this is a City thread so do the decent thing and feck aff! :offtopic:ass:P

now... City played really well yesterday, hit the bar, hit the post, big McGurk made a couple of good saves. On the other hand we sold the first goal after getting away with a dangerous move twice before and almost sold another late on when Stobie made amends. So a good performance with bad parts- a bit like a cut and shut Lamborghini/Trabant!

It was a really difficult choice but I've gone for this red second hand Alfa Romeo as this week's motor vehicle. "Top Gear" reckoned that if you want to be a true petrol head you have to have owned at least one Alfa in your life. Stylish, cool, nice to look at but with enough faults to drive you mad...

post-12982-0-39370500-1379893363.jpg

post-12982-0-38319200-1380407505.jpg

for people of a certain age the word "students" conjures up a picture of Mike, Rik, Neil and Vyvian and they all crashed in a London bus in the last episode of the "Young Ones" just as the Stirling students crashed to defeat against the MIGHTY City. But I've already used a pic of a bus in this thread so I can't use that.

We had to make 3 subs before half time, one of them goalkeeper Andrew Stobie, as Daryl Devlin took his place between the sticks (he did well, but he's no Ross Mac!) Then we effectively played the 2nd half with 10 players as Guth was unable to run and remained up field as a sort of loan striker City didn't crumble though and took all the points so this week's vehicle is the Toyota Pick up truck that "Top Gear" tested to destruction by leaving it in the sea, blowing it up etc and still the thing worked.

Result: pleasing. Injuries: worrying. Next week: hmmm.... :unsure2:

post-12982-0-80787000-1380407854.jpg

young ones.jpg

for people of a certain age the word "students" conjures up a picture of Mike, Rik, Neil and Vyvian and they all crashed in a London bus in the last episode of the "Young Ones" just as the Stirling students crashed to defeat against the MIGHTY City. But I've already used a pic of a bus in this thread so I can't use that.

We had to make 3 subs before half time, one of them goalkeeper Andrew Stobie, as Daryl Devlin took his place between the sticks (he did well, but he's no Ross Mac!) Then we effectively played the 2nd half with 10 players as Guth was unable to run and remained up field as a sort of loan striker City didn't crumble though and took all the points so this week's vehicle is the Toyota Pick up truck that "Top Gear" tested to destruction by leaving it in the sea, blowing it up etc and still the thing worked.

Result: pleasing. Injuries: worrying. Next week: hmmm.... :unsure2:

toyota.jpg

you look like Vyvian ha ha ha

Archived