• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like to expand on earlier bbc vs Syria comment.

I feel that for the last few years the bbc for whatever reason is aggressively attacking middle eastern countries.

You could see it happening in Iran, almost as if they were looking for one or two people amongst thousands and presenting it as the majority view.

Compared to itn or channel four they are much more aggressive, why are they not reporting the al queda element of this conflict?

because the bbc on foriegn policy report exactly what the FCO tell them.

their coverage has been disgusting for the past 3 weeks.

Maybe they have learned from Iraq, or maybe that's wishful thinking on my behalf.

Nomad, I may be being idealistic here but I think the 'no' vote in The Commons helped here. I'm pretty sure had our MPs voted 'yes' (as the French did) then we'd damned close to missile strikes on Damascus.

One in the eye to the 'Britain is USA's lapdog' idiots and well done (for once) our HoC.

Obama will end up looking like a total weak c**t here if Putin can pull this one out the bag. He has been a fucking shit president, what a c**t he turned out to be.

Au contraire, mon ami de le droit. He'll have played a blinder if he can get rid of Syria's WMD without as his predecessor put it, " firing a million dollar cruise missile through a tent and up a camel's ass." Putin would have done nothing if he didn't think the US were going to prove how lousy Russian made arms are yet again when faced with the West. Couldn't flog them to any poor desperate loons.

According to "The West" chemical weapons have been used agaisnt civilians (Obamas red line) by the ruling government, and we are moving closer to military intervention.

But Russia and China and "The East" say its probably anti government terrorist so don't get involved, and Iran saying western intervention will be crossing their red line!

What next ? The last few times we "Itervined" to save civilians we left behind the slowly imploding hell of Iraq and the media ignored power vacuum sectarian hole that is Lybia.

Bearing in mind the west ignores Isreals chemical weapon attacks on Palestinian , and the US's chemical attacks in the Middle East .

What next?

spell checker

Obama will end up looking like a total weak c**t here if Putin can pull this one out the bag. He has been a fucking shit president, what a c**t he turned out to be.

why exactly?

he will have dealt with the chemical weapons without sending a single dummy troop to Syria.

Putin will be the one looking weak.

obama's attempt at being a tough guy today was cringeworthy.

I agree his speech was awful but it's looking increasingly likely that there will be 1) no invasion and 2) a meaningful, multilateral solution to Syria's illicit weaponry. How can anyone be displeased with that outcome?

I agree his speech was awful but it's looking increasingly likely that there will be 1) no invasion and 2) a meaningful, multilateral solution to Syria's illicit weaponry. How can anyone be displeased with that outcome?

if that is the outcome i'll be delighted however i won't give him much credit, whatever action he takes will be due to polticial expediency rather than in the best interests of syrians.

i never expected an invasion but he also seemed to rule out acting as an air force for the FSA (and al nusra) a la libya which is a good sign. the stuff about 'the us military does not do pinp***ks' was cringeworthy and us 'exceptionalism' isn't far from manifest destiny. it is unbelievable that he actually said that.

if that is the outcome i'll be delighted however i won't give him much credit, whatever action he takes will be due to polticial expediency rather than in the best interests of syrians.

i never expected an invasion but he also seemed to rule out acting as an air force for the FSA (and al nusra) a la libya which is a good sign. the stuff about 'the us military does not do pinp***ks' was cringeworthy and us 'exceptionalism' isn't far from manifest destiny. it is unbelievable that he actually said that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for him to win a(nother...) Nobel Peace Prize. But if the outcome's the good 'un, the outcome's the good 'un.

'American exceptionalism' is something I studied at uni. At the time in both the literature and most of the public parlance, it was not a value descriptor. It meant simply what it said: the US is exceptional. It is exceptional in good ways and also in bad ways.

Some time over the middle of the 2000s, though, it morphed into, as you say, a jingoistic rallying cry. And a really distasteful one at that.

interesting, also worth noting people give an article like that credence but refuse to contemplate 9-11 conspiracy theories. personally I am of the opinion a military-industrial-corporate coup took place in 1963 with the killing of jfk, and everything since with the slight exception of carter has just been a continuation of that.

why exactly?

he will have dealt with the chemical weapons without sending a single dummy troop to Syria.

Putin will be the one looking weak.

No he won't, he wanted to bomb things better. Putin has a chance toi get the Syrians to hand over their CW stockpile and keep his interests in the country intact while also making Obama look like a warmonger that couldn't quite get it up.

Parliaments refusal to allow the government to act set the ball rolling on that one.

Archived