Facts you made up

Mak

Burt Bacharach was touring Europe and got lost in Edinburgh and found himself over the Forth in Fife.  Stopping to watch an under 10s football match he was shocked by the side burns on one of the players, a young Alfie Conn. He drove back to Edinburgh with a tune in his head and that night wrote the song "What's it all about Alfie". Cilla Black later butchered it.

41 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Burt Bacharach was touring Europe and got lost in Edinburgh and found himself over the Forth in Fife.  Stopping to watch an under 10s football match he was shocked by the side burns on one of the players, a young Alfie Conn. He drove back to Edinburgh with a tune in his head and that night wrote the song "What's it all about Alfie". Cilla Black later butchered it.

Oh so close.  Everybody knows that while Burt Bacharach wrote the music but it was Hal David who wrote the lyrics.

What is less well known is that this musical duo wrote the song "Raindrops keep falling on my head" while visiting Fort William.

Nobody knows what inspired them.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Oh so close.  Everybody knows that while Burt Bacharach wrote the music but it was Hal David who wrote the lyrics.

What is less well known is that this musical duo wrote the song "Raindrops keep falling on my head" while visiting Fort William.

Nobody knows what inspired them.

Damn I hate  getting my facts wrong

Vena Stubblefield, the mother of James Brown’s “Funky Drummer” Clyde Stubblefield, made a fortune from her invention of the hole punch. 
Prior to its availability, secretaries would have to poke holes in sheets of paper using a fountain pen so that they could be placed in a ring binder.

5 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Vena Stubblefield, the mother of James Brown’s “Funky Drummer” Clyde Stubblefield, made a fortune from her invention of the hole punch. 
Prior to its availability, secretaries would have to poke holes in sheets of paper using a fountain pen so that they could be placed in a ring binder.

I was told they had a special gun with very narrow bullets for this.  It was very dangerous to use and everybody else had stand perfectly still just in case.

Incidentally that is where the word "stationery" comes from.

• 3 weeks later...

Anti pine tree sentiment has been growing in Serbia recently with messages like 'Needles suck', 'Deciduous you not - LOL!'  and 'Die wrong shaped tree!' carved into Douglas Fir, Scots Pines and Sitka Spruce across the country.

Piles of smashed and defecated on pine cones have also been found.

A Serbian police spokesman Bogdan Marjanovic said "I like some trees. Don't you think there is something particularly graceful and beautiful about a mature Oak?  That's my view. Anyway we have no idea who or why anyone is doing this and anyone saying it's me is completely out of order.'

Jim Cornette won the French Open in 1981 when he was 19.  When he joined the NWA he demanded that as part of his gimmick, he would get to use the tennis racket he won the tournament with as a weapon.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Jim Cornette won the French Open in 1981 when he was 19.  When he joined the NWA he demanded that as part of his gimmick, he would get to use the tennis racket he won the tournament with as a weapon.

Which of their records did he play on?