Dalbeattie Star v Threave Rovers

Ross O'Neri

Last nights match was a terrible advert for the Lowland League unlike Saturdays at Preston which I'm told was a cracker. It was so bad I thought I had walked in on an Edinburgh derby by mistake. Threave were prepared to do anything to get a point and they got it by dragging the Star down to their level. They started time wasting in the first 20 minutes and as a spectacle this would get football stopped. Changed days indeed for for them as they used to be known as a good team to watch but on this performance not any more. However they did put in a lot of work and If they had put in as much effort when Keith Knox was manager then he might still be in a job, but then again maybe not. Still Star should still have won with the injury time penalty but no one is blaming Milli- this guy has done so much for the club over years. Appropriately the last word on a poor match should go to Darren Kerr. If this player could play half as good as he talks then he wouldn't be wasting his time at this level. He just lacks any sort of class whatsoever, football wise or not. He has a nasty habit of being able to rub up everyone the wrong way and is a total embarrassment to his club and team mates. Anyway glad to get that off my chest - bring on the Fairydean!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one at Dalbeattie expects anyone to roll over but if you are happy with the way your team played then fair enough but I think you've got a long season ahead of you watching that. Yes Threave worked hard and pressed well but what else? So Star played poorly, Threave played well yet had a last minute penalty been converted Star would still have won - what does that tell you? Better chances? A couple each at best. As for the offside 'goal', I presume you were bang on line with play when the ball was played just like the linesman who put his flag up well before the shot was even fired. As for Dunga's foul, fair enough some refs may have given a red card as his foot was high but in the photo you will see it is not a straight leg challenge and his foot is only inches from the ball. There was no intent to injure the player, he was going for the ball but the Threave lad just happen to nick it away a split second earlier. You'll probably have seen Dunga play a lot more than me and you'll know he's not that kind of player. Darren Kerr - don't get me started on him again.

Other than that, genuinely all the best for the season, let's see both Stewartry teams do well.

I was an interested neutral at last night's game, going to it purely for it being Star's 1st ever game in the Lowland League.

The fare on offer was dire in the extreme, and I actually left 5 minutes before the end as I simply couldn't take any more, but of what I did see here's a few points.

Threave goalkeeper had an excellent game with his shot stopping, albeit it his dying swan act just as I was leaving for time wasting did him no favours.

Having said that, Star weren't averse to trying to con the referee themselves. The young lad playing up front with the fair hair went down like a ton of bricks midway through the first half, with an accompanying blood curdling scream. No foul. The centre half did similar in the second half, and when he realsied he wasn't going to get the free kick he was hoping for got up and around as if nothing had happened.

There were more bookings than shots on goal, and it was all quite petty, but nasty, stuff. A lot of tackles went in with studs being shown, but the referee did nothing more than produce yellow card after yellow card. Quite how the big lad up front for Threave escaped his wrath is beyond me.

The ginger haired linesman wearing glasses, gave 2 ridiculous decisions, one in each half that defied beilef. Would imagine he'll probably get a few pelters from the touchlines during the season if he carries on like that. Must have had his reading glasses on, methinks....

If that is the quality on offer in the Lowland League then I think the league itself will struggle, as the novelty will soon wear off. I'm probably lucky in that I watch my non league football at Auchinleck, but I will watch Lowland League games this season should we not have a game or if any are due to take place under lights anywhere, but I hope for a drastic improvement.

As for the offside 'goal', I presume you were bang on line with play when the ball was played just like the linesman who put his flag up well before the shot was even

I was bang in line and although it was close the Threave player was onside ,he checked his run to ensure he was onside

Have to admit I was disappointed with the standard on the night. Very little in the terms of quality. Don't know a lot about the rest of the sides in this league but have a feeling both may struggle somewhat.

Have to agree the Threave goalkeeper was easily my man of the match. He never put a foot wrong all night.

A draw was the right result although the home side I would imagine would feel it was two points dropped instead of one gained.

Main talking point was the total ineptness of the Referee. Wouldn't say he was out of his depth to an extreme but whether his wife had been giving him a hard time in the house or his boss at work, he certainly made everyone suffer last night. Stand side assistant didn't cover himself in much glory either.

Interesting to read comments from neutrals. Certainly from a Star point of view, last night was as poor as they have played for a long time. Would like to think it was a one off and they will soon be backing playing the way we know they can. As said before Threave made life difficult for them and they will have to find a way to overcome that if other teams adopt the same tactics. As for the referee, well I don't like to blame officials for teams shortcomings but last nights official had a nightmare, for both sides. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come both playing wise and official wise. I would say to any neutral not to judge both sides on last nights game as how many local derbies ever turn in to a decent match?

Both you and Mr Mcginley talk about Threave tactics dragging star down. Let's examine tactics, press the ball high up the park to put slow Star defenceman under pressure that worked a treat. Defend deep to stop pace of Star getting behind them - that worked as well. Midfield shuffled across and closed down all night - in most people's eyes their tactics were right. Vinnie played well but never looked like being beaten by anything. Start keeper had one great save and lost a 'goal' which was wrongly disallowed. And yes I was directly in line. I was there to see how good this Star team were came away very disappointed and thought Threave were more than value for a point. Only long season I see if for Star money men to find more money to be thrown away.

No problem with what you describe. However time wasting after 20 minutes, come on. Also other than the Dunga challenge how many times did the Threave physio have to come on when it was obvious the player was making a meal of the situation. By the way who are the Star money men you talk of as I'm sure the committee at Dalbeattie would be delighted to meet them. If you believe all the nonsense that goes around about how much money Star, and for that matter Threave as well, spend on players then you'll believe anything. Some of the figures I've heard about how much was offered to players by Threave are bordering on ridiculous, but you take these stories with a pinch of salt.

I think it is unfair to say that Threave 'dragged Dalbeattie down to their level'. In fact it seems like a pretty arrogant thing to say. As for time wasting after 20 minutes, then that is probably a tactic to frustrate the home team, who'd be keen to get the game going and gather momentum. Sounds to me like Threave went there to frustrate, stop Dalbeattie from being comfortable. So I apologise on behalf of Threave for not adopting tactics to suit Dalbeattie's game. ;)
It will be an interesting season. I think Threave could have a hard season. I don't feel they're ready yet, and could do with a few more players. Would be nice for Threave and Dalbeattie to both beat some of the 'big' teams (Whitehill, Spartans, East Kilbride).

Fair point - comment about "dragging down" was a bit unfair and just a bit of a wind up. As I said before I really hope both sides do well this season for themselves and for South of Scotland football. If Threave put in the fight and effort they put in on Wednesday then they will make life difficult for a lot of sides. As for Star they seem determined they will play their passing game at all cost. Some times it can get bogged down, like Wednesday, so hopefully there will be a plan B sometimes. However the more the players play together the more they will gel and I for one look forward to how they progress this season.

One other thing I failed to mention. Star seemed to evaluate passing the pall backwards and sidewards in their own half as tika taka fitba, before hoofing it up for the left wide man to chase more often than not. Is this normal, or just tactical against Threave?

Why, given the size of the crowd, was there so little enthusiasm for the game from the sidelines?

Were there any more than a few dozen Threave fans there for such an historical occasion?

Were either side to do well in the league, and challenge for the title, would attendances improve, or would 300 plus (which I assume was the gate last night) be about the maximum? Genuinely interested.

It wasn't a great advert for the new league but derby games can be hit or miss anyway.

The ref has to take some of the blame for last night's game fizzling out a bit. He seemed determined to stop play at every opportunity when he should have let things ride.

I thought McGinley's comments, and the OP's, were a bit harsh and smacked a bit of sour grapes. Threave had a game plan to stifle Star and worked hard to carry it out.

Star have a great squad and are great to watch when things are going well. I'm all for trying to play decent football but Star have no Plan B when it isn't clicking. They'll certainly be punished this season if they have further bad days at the office and persist with the slow build up and passing in the defensive third.

Threave's starting 11 will hold their own this season but there's no strength in depth. That's got to be the worry.

One other thing I failed to mention. Star seemed to evaluate passing the pall backwards and sidewards in their own half as tika taka fitba, before hoofing it up for the left wide man to chase more often than not. Is this normal, or just tactical against Threave?

Why, given the size of the crowd, was there so little enthusiasm for the game from the sidelines?

Were there any more than a few dozen Threave fans there for such an historical occasion?

Were either side to do well in the league, and challenge for the title, would attendances improve, or would 300 plus (which I assume was the gate last night) be about the maximum? Genuinely interested.

I can't see the attendances down this way being much higher unless the away fans swell numbers. That was busy for Islecroft.

I don't think the game helped the crowd's enthusiasm. It's never going to be a carnival atmosphere though.

Regarding the sizeable crowd being quiet, probably down to so little action on the park. As for the travelling support I thought there was a good turn out from Castle Douglas as there usually is when they visit Islecroft, just as when Star go to Meadow there is normally a good away support.

Not at the game last night. But by all reports it was poor. But i also think the star manager is trying to deflect from the fact star were poor too

by his attack on how Threave performed.(he is entitled to his opinion) as we all are.Does he expect any opponent to turn up and say here,s 3 points

if he thinks that he is in for a long hard season.

You've got to laugh when a manager comes out and slates the opposing team for being negative. Threave should take the comments as a compliment because what he is actually saying is that they played their game plan very well and they couldn't come up with a plan B to break them down.

I have a lot of respect for Skin but I thought his comments lacked class. As previously mentioned, local derbys can be a hit or a miss. Hopefully both teams can do well in the lowland league.

To be honest the attendance may only have been higher on a Saturday if Queens were playing away. I saw quite a few folk who would be at Palmerston had there been a match on there. As for Skins comments I presume they were made straight after the final whistle when emotions would still be running high. I dare say had he been interviewed the day after the match they may well have been different.

Having missed the game as I was working I can only go by what I've been told and what I've read on here. If threave were set up defensively so what? You have to use the tactics you think will best combat the opposition and it seems we did that.

Hopefully St Cuthberts will join the Lowland League next year too so we've got a guaranteed 6 points per season ;)

That'll be a Saints team who beat Threave in the league on two occasions last year and who, in my opinion, play much better football than they did last year as the standard of player on board just seems to be that little bit better, Whilst I mean no disrespect to last years team, I would think that there's only one or two from last season that I would have back at St Marys Park.

Archived