Car advice

9 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Quite a bad one mate, probs painted.

We use a guy based in Dundee, KJ Smart Repairs, will get his number for you tomorrow.

Nobody I really know of who does them in Perth anymore, outside the well known companies. Used to be places in Scone but theyve shut down now.

9 hours ago, RH33 said:

Am I correct thinking the horn not working an mot fail?

You do know that the requirement to renew MOT has been suspended for six months ?

You do still have a duty to keep the car roadworthy, but if you drive in such a way that you never need to peep the horn at anyone you'd be able to make the case that you didn't know it wasn't working.

Not due an mot until later in the year. I hate being a sterotypical girl but when it comes to cars I’ve no clue. I’ve had car since December and only went use horn today to give kids a peep as I left them at their dad. I’ll play daft for lockdown as hardly in car and get it fixed once that’s lifted a bit.

10 hours ago, RH33 said:

Not due an mot until later in the year. I hate being a sterotypical girl but when it comes to cars I’ve no clue. I’ve had car since December and only went use horn today to give kids a peep as I left them at their dad. I’ll play daft for lockdown as hardly in car and get it fixed once that’s lifted a bit.

Did any water spray onto the windscreen when you pressed the horn?

Wife has a fairly new diesel A1. Lately it’s been a wee bit temperamental on starting, like its struggling with a flat battery.

Thought that with it now sitting about doing nothing I’d better put a trickle charger on it so if it was needed we could actually use it. But the charger says the battery is in good health and it’s not needing topped up. Any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Wife has a fairly new diesel A1. Lately it’s been a wee bit temperamental on starting, like its struggling with a flat battery.

Thought that with it now sitting about doing nothing I’d better put a trickle charger on it so if it was needed we could actually use it. But the charger says the battery is in good health and it’s not needing topped up. Any ideas? 

If it sounds like the battery it'll be the battery. Give it a run and see what happens.

These chargers, especially the cheaper ones, aren't hugely accurate.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If it sounds like the battery it'll be the battery. Give it a run and see what happens.

These chargers, especially the cheaper ones, aren't hugely accurate.

Ta. Tbf it is a cheapo Halfords effort of some vintage but taking the car for a run was exactly what I did as my first attempted fix, 45mins or so at fair speed but the following morning it was the same again.

Mrs a-p (usually) does a 70 mile round commute to Edinburgh each day and the reluctant starting had been troubling her for a few weeks before the world ground to a halt. 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

One for the car experts, every time I go over any bump in the road or turn sharply to the right there is a ton of shuddering and creaking. Also whenever I get out the car the suspension? makes a creaking noise. Is my car goosed?

You're overweight.

33 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

One for the car experts, every time I go over any bump in the road or turn sharply to the right there is a ton of shuddering and creaking. Also whenever I get out the car the suspension? makes a creaking noise. Is my car goosed?

Sounds like a broken spring.