Car advice

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How much are alloys to get polished/skimmed?  Damage is not too bad but its a lease and no doubt they'll charge a fortune for them to do it.

IMG_1258.jpg

Didn't the McCann's have a Renault hire car just like that?

£90 or so btw. 

How much are alloys to get polished/skimmed?  Damage is not too bad but its a lease and no doubt they'll charge a fortune for them to do it.

IMG_1258.jpg.4dc868d190a3d27781e04d8f4cd7658c.jpg

I paid £45 per wheel when I got mine powder coated a few years back. That was at a place called wheel restore it in Glenrothes. Might be a bit more now and some places add £10 if they need to remove the tyre and refit it.

If they are diamond cut then a bit more again.

Has anyone ever changed a car while in the middle of a PCP deal. I'm currently about 2 and a half years into a 4 year deal. The car I have has 3 doors and, if possible, I would be looking to change to something with 5 doors.

If it makes any difference I *think* my car is worth a wee bit more than the outstanding balance on the finance agreement. Is it just a case of going to a dealer and essentially asking to swap it for something else or is it a bit more complicated than that?

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Has anyone ever changed a car while in the middle of a PCP deal. I'm currently about 2 and a half years into a 4 year deal. The car I have has 3 doors and, if possible, I would be looking to change to something with 5 doors.

If it makes any difference I *think* my car is worth a wee bit more than the outstanding balance on the finance agreement. Is it just a case of going to a dealer and essentially asking to swap it for something else or is it a bit more complicated than that?

It's probably more complicated than asking for a swap, I would think.

Not quite, but not far off. You trade in your existing car and they'll include the outstanding finance in the next deal. Unless you put in a massive deposit at the start, I'd be very surprised if the trade in is higher than the finance settlement with 18 months still to go.

I’ve had lots of cars on pcp and never gone the full term. You can get stung on mileage, condition etc. Any garage (or you) can just call up a finance settlement that totally sidesteps all the ts and cs of your pcp end of term deal. Not complicated at all - just the same as having a normal loan against the car. Garage finds out the settlement, you agree a trade in. 

Not quite, but not far off. You trade in your existing car and they'll include the outstanding finance in the next deal. Unless you put in a massive deposit at the start, I'd be very surprised if the trade in is higher than the finance settlement with 18 months still to go.

Even if the trade in value isn’t higher than the finance settlement you can just carry that difference over into the pcp deal on the new car you are getting.

9 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I changed my pcp car after six months. Loan and car same value. I needed to cut outgoings as was moving to new house rent was higher, schools better.

i then went for a straight HP in a corsa, it’s small and shite but kids in a better school! Probably getting a kicking for their maw driving a corsa!

Cheers folks! Much appreciated. Will maybe head out for a look this weekend and see what's what.

Commit to nothing! Notwithstanding that the salesman will tell you he’s not on a bonus, damn sure his boss is. 30 September is half year for most dealers. Use this weekend to find the car you want (and be flexible, so far it’s only 5doors!) let them see your car (and ffs at least give it a wash and hoover before you take it in) and spend the rest of the week umm-Ing and ahh—ing while making it clear you can sign up before 30th and I reckon you’ll be minimum £500/£1000 better than signing up on the spot.

Trouble with pcp’s is you’re always rolling up the bad news for a later day. Make sure you get as clean a break (maximum equity) as you can from the finance on the current car.

Since getting dashcams fitted front and back earlier in the year, i've noticed that, subconsciously, i've been observing speed limits and distances from vehicles in front more carefully.  Always considered myself a "good" driver, but the dashcams seem to have cranked everything up a notch. 

Also noticed that (mainly young) assholes who like to tailgate or drive really close behind are visibly pulling back and trying to drive more carefully as they've seen they're on camera from my rear windscreen. 

Anyone else found benefits from having a dashcam fitted (other than insurance/video evidence/etc) or are there negatives that i haven't experienced yet ??