Car advice

Just copied this from a car forum.

"Ok looks like from October 14 you can't sell your own car with road tax, you have to send it back for a refund, so if you sell it at beginning/mid month you wont get that month refunded and the new owner has to tax it from the beginning of the said month".

I can't find anything to back this up on the dvla website. Does anybody here know if it is true?

If it is true, then, I take it most cars will only be sold in the first 2 weeks of each month unless the buyer can keep it off road until the start of the next month if they don't want to lose money on unused tax time.

With all the road tax being done online from October and the disc being no longer required, will the dvla start to tax cars from specific dates?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever bought back an old car. Bear with me here i haven't been drinking turps. I had a very vivid dream at the weekend about driving my old car and it got me curious so i started looking at similar ones to see what they went for then yesterday my exact old car appeared for sale. Is this a sign that can't be ignored or should i step the f**k away from this creepy situation

Just copied this from a car forum.

"Ok looks like from October 14 you can't sell your own car with road tax, you have to send it back for a refund, so if you sell it at beginning/mid month you wont get that month refunded and the new owner has to tax it from the beginning of the said month".

I can't find anything to back this up on the dvla website. Does anybody here know if it is true?

If it is true, then, I take it most cars will only be sold in the first 2 weeks of each month unless the buyer can keep it off road until the start of the next month if they don't want to lose money on unused tax time.

With all the road tax being done online from October and the disc being no longer required, will the dvla start to tax cars from specific dates?

I think it is true however I sold mine in December with tax on. I think the argument is that if it's not insured, it shouldn't be taxed, meaning any potential buyers wouldn't be able to test drive the car on public roads which is very shite if selling privately.

I had already bought my current car and obviously changed my insurance details to drive it home from where I bought it.

I'm looking at getting a supermini of some description, anyone drive one of these? I'm leaning slightly towards the citroen c1 at the moment (pretty much identical to the peugeot and toyota cars but a bit cheaper). Any advice?

Don't hit anything stationary over 5mph. Your knees will be the crumple zone ;)

Don't know if it belongs in here. But I just traded in my L reg 1.4 VW Golf with 77k miles, paid £100, and got myself a W reg 1.6 VW Golf with 107k miles. And I'm utterly delighted with that deal! Its a bit of cheat since I work in the garage I bought it from, but still, its a hell of a step up for so little

I've put the stereo in, easy enough, but it's messed up the electrics a bit - the time doesn't update on the upper display, and the new stereo doesn't remember stored stations or the time. Heard folk say it needs a wire direct to the battery but not sure I'm confident enough to do it .

I've put the stereo in, easy enough, but it's messed up the electrics a bit - the time doesn't update on the upper display, and the new stereo doesn't remember stored stations or the time. Heard folk say it needs a wire direct to the battery but not sure I'm confident enough to do it .

Is it an after market stereo?

Places like that usually offer you less than originally quoted when they see the car in person. Most folk will accept being offered a fair bit less for the convenience of still having the car taken away.

I've used Car Take Back twice and it's never been checked out. As long as the transporter guy can drive it onto the trailer, you'll still get the quoted price.

I got cash the first time and a cheque the second. No problems at all though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got rid of a focus with no problems and bought a seat ibiza tdi fr that needs the roof sprayed and a new wing, front grille and boot lock. Just as well we have a body shop at work. Oh and it fucking flies foot down in any gear and this things away.