Car advice

Excuse my stupidity but should tyres not be same front and back?
My scenic has 205/60/16r at front but 205/55/16r at the back.
Seems odd for family car
One of those sizes will be much cheaper than the other.

You get this with Corsa's as well. 225x35x18 are the correct size but 225x40x18 are a lot cheaper so a lot of people put them on instead.

Your overall wheel circumference is a bit different (not a lot) though on the front and rear though.

One of those sizes will be much cheaper than the other.

You get this with Corsa's as well. 225x35x18 are the correct size but 225x40x18 are a lot cheaper so a lot of people put them on instead.

Your overall wheel circumference is a bit different (not a lot) though on the front and rear though.
Cheers, got a burst one in the front and it was well beyond the foam and compressor job, had to borrow a spare which was a 65 not a 60 to get to the garage (cars with no spare and no space saver, who ever didn't outlaw that needs a swift kick in the sacks), was looking at the car and thought it looked massively different, checked the back pair and both 55 .
So 65 60 and 2 55's to get to a garage, must have looked hilarious.
Not hilarious was the 65 triggering the abs warning and having it sit there the entire time mocking me.
Nor was the bill to replace the two fronts and tracking.

Excuse my stupidity but should tyres not be same front and back?
My scenic has 205/60/16r at front but 205/55/16r at the back.
Seems odd for family car

Putting on my doom and gloom hat, be mindful that if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, insurance assessors will look for any excuse to wriggle out of the claim.
They may claim that the tyre configuration was not as recommended by the manufacturer and that they classify it as a modification that they hadn’t been informed of.

I kid you not. Fucking highwaymen.

Putting on my doom and gloom hat, be mindful that if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, insurance assessors will look for any excuse to wriggle out of the claim.
They may claim that the tyre configuration was not as recommended by the manufacturer and that they classify it as a modification that they hadn’t been informed of.

Having the wrong sized tyres on your car is fair enough for insurance invalidation IMO. the bits that touch the ground are quite important.

Checked this with a mechanic, as long as tyres on same axle match it's ok.
Apparently it's to reduce drag but usually the lower ones are wider.
f**k it doing on a 1.5 grand scenic I have no idea

More new tyres I think. Same as front.

Young a-p has a 12yo 1.6 petrol Mini Cooper. Burns oil at some rate, which I understand is not unusual. Valve stem oil seals seems most likely culprit (so I’m told). Local advice is dump it, it’s nowt but a money pit.

Trouble is, he likes it and I like the car too. 60k miles and it should have plenty life left in the rest of it. Didn’t cost that much to buy and I don’t fancy dicing with local hoodlums over something of a similar value.

Can we run it with a heavier grade oil to slow the burn? Or is there some product I can drop in the oil to slow the deterioration? 30 years ago I’d have been all over this but now, meh...

Mechanics aren't insurance underwriters. If you have the wrong size of tyres on a vehicle and it's involved in an accident you could be found at fault or worse having insurance invalidated.

The handbook should say what the tyre size should be. I'd be astounded if a scenic is supposed to have different tyre sizes on the front and rear.

In other car related news taking my car back to the garage in 2 days as it seems to have developed a knocking noise over bumps from nearside rear. Think possibly the shock has maybe not been tightened up correctly when replaced or a worn Bush.

Looks to be not quite straight in the pic.20190908_163731.jpeg

Young a-p has a 12yo 1.6 petrol Mini Cooper. Burns oil at some rate, which I understand is not unusual. Valve stem oil seals seems most likely culprit (so I’m told). Local advice is dump it, it’s nowt but a money pit.

Trouble is, he likes it and I like the car too. 60k miles and it should have plenty life left in the rest of it. Didn’t cost that much to buy and I don’t fancy dicing with local hoodlums over something of a similar value.

Can we run it with a heavier grade oil to slow the burn? Or is there some product I can drop in the oil to slow the deterioration? 30 years ago I’d have been all over this but now, meh...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/2354/16857/2007/engine-oil.aspx

Shows 5w30 and 5w40 as suitable so you might be able to give it a try.

Seems there is a thing called high mileage oil as well.

2 hours ago, weirdcal said:

15 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Mechanics aren't insurance underwriters. If you have the wrong size of tyres on a vehicle and it's involved in an accident you could be found at fault or worse having insurance invalidated.

The handbook should say what the tyre size should be. I'd be astounded if a scenic is supposed to have different tyre sizes on the front and rear.

In other car related news taking my car back to the garage in 2 days as it seems to have developed a knocking noise over bumps from nearside rear. Think possibly the shock has maybe not been tightened up correctly when replaced or a worn Bush.

Looks to be not quite straight in the pic.20190908_163731.jpeg

The sensible move would be to call up your insurer and see if they class it as a modification. I'd be very surprised if it affected the premium in any way.

Your car would pass an MOT with two different sized tyres, as long as the tyres match across an axle, so I can't see how the insurance company could argue anything.

Only issue I've ever known them to have is with worn tyres, or stretch tyres, both can invalidate insurance, and some companies won't insure you if you tell them you've fitted stretches on.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your car would pass an MOT with two different sized tyres, as long as the tyres match across an axle, so I can't see how the insurance company could argue anything.

Only issue I've ever known them to have is with worn tyres, or stretch tyres, both can invalidate insurance, and some companies won't insure you if you tell them you've fitted stretches on.

A car would pass an MOT with most modifications (for example, having a tow bar installed), you still have to declare them to your insurer though, or risk invalidating your cover.

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

A car would pass an MOT with most modifications (for example, having a tow bar installed), you still have to declare them to your insurer though, or risk invalidating your cover.

I just can't see how they could argue its what caused the accident, especially since theres a lot of cars with that set up as standard.

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I just can't see how they could argue its what caused the accident, especially since theres a lot of cars with that set up as standard.

I don't disagree with you, but if it was me I'd be calling them up just to check, because I'd never want to be in the situation where they had an excuse not to pay.