5 hours ago, Crroma said:

Ford fiesta, 2015, 49,000 miles

Engine light came on in March, no obvious change in car behaviour, was due a service in April so fully serviced and ran fine till last month

Engine light back on, into garage, was told there's nothing obvious and the engine fault code suggested maybe the car maybe sat around a lot. Car is used 40 per day miles mon - fri. Was suggested I put some engine cleaner in the fuel and that would assist the problem.

Got that done, charged me 30 quid for it, now i trust this guy with cars he has serviced me and families cars for years. Engine light came back on 3 weeks later.

How worried should i be? Its got a lot of miles for its age, car has felt no different all 3 times light has came on, feel a little confused that the mechanic seemed unsure of the exact problem.

As RandomGuy says without the fault code it'd be pretty hard to guess, it's not throwing your car into limp mode so I wouldn't be shiting myself to much. Depending on how confident the mechanic is on the car, how great the software he's using and how good he is with it might determine why he's not sure.  

It's pretty odd to say the car sits around allot if it's got 50,000 miles before it's 5 year point. If I was going to throw out that I would've checked the mileage first tbh. 

Our fiesta has a light on with the fault code for the front o2 sensor I have a cheap code reader so turned it off. It's not driving any differently so going to leave it. O2 sensors are common on petrol cars so will just have to wait and see. 
The front one went on my old civic and it passed the emissions tests no bother, it was more economical after I replaced it mind you

22 hours ago, Mitch said:

I bought the wife a Crossland X at the start of the year. She seems to like it. I drive it occasionally and it’s a decent enough drive. Not particularly powerful when pulling away, but depends what your used to.

I went for a test drive this morning. Other than a gear box that feels slightly vague and a biting point thats a bit higher up the clutch, it drove pretty well. The 130 version of the engine didnt feel underpowered or sluggish. Certainly something I can live with.

I'm picking it up as soon as my bank clear my loan.

Ford fiesta, 2015, 49,000 miles

Engine light came on in March, no obvious change in car behaviour, was due a service in April so fully serviced and ran fine till last month

Engine light back on, into garage, was told there's nothing obvious and the engine fault code suggested maybe the car maybe sat around a lot. Car is used 40 per day miles mon - fri. Was suggested I put some engine cleaner in the fuel and that would assist the problem.

Got that done, charged me 30 quid for it, now i trust this guy with cars he has serviced me and families cars for years. Engine light came back on 3 weeks later.

How worried should i be? Its got a lot of miles for its age, car has felt no different all 3 times light has came on, feel a little confused that the mechanic seemed unsure of the exact problem.

Get a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and OBD fusion app for your phone and it should help identify the code which you can then google to get the issue.

I went for a test drive this morning. Other than a gear box that feels slightly vague and a biting point thats a bit higher up the clutch, it drove pretty well. The 130 version of the engine didnt feel underpowered or sluggish. Certainly something I can live with.
I'm picking it up as soon as my bank clear my loan.

The two mentions around the gear box and the clutch are the two things I notice when I jump in. I’m bound to find a car a bit strange if I am only jumping in it once a month or so.

Vauxhall gearboxes have always been vague especially in stuff like a corsa

Thinking about selling my wee swift. Whats the best way to go about it? Webuyanycar quoted 760 which is a pisstake, its not a hugely valuable car but should be worth double that. 

MOT is due 5th September and Tax on the 1st. 

32 minutes ago, deej said:

Thinking about selling my wee swift. Whats the best way to go about it? Webuyanycar quoted 760 which is a pisstake, its not a hugely valuable car but should be worth double that. 

If you think it will pass the MOT I'd get it done now, much easier to sell with a year on it. And put the word around family, friends and work colleagues, if it's not a wreck it sounds ideal for a first car for somebody or somebody's kid, especially with college about to start.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you think it will pass the MOT I'd get it done now, much easier to sell with a year on it. And put the word around family, friends and work colleagues, if it's not a wreck it sounds ideal for a first car for somebody or somebody's kid, especially with college about to start.

Yeah it'd be an ideal starter car. Not sure on the MOT as I've got a feeling it'll be expensive, but that's pretty much based on previous issues that have been fixed, as it runs absolutely fine. 

4 minutes ago, deej said:

Yeah it'd be an ideal starter car. Not sure on the MOT as I've got a feeling it'll be expensive, but that's pretty much based on previous issues that have been fixed, as it runs absolutely fine. 

It would be worth £50 to find out for the added value if successful, doesn't commit you to get any work done. If someone tried to sell me a car with a few weeks left on the MOT I'd be well suspicious and expect a very cheap price.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It would be worth £50 to find out for the added value if successful, doesn't commit you to get any work done.

Yeah I'm going to get it in next week I think. 

Is selling privately easy enough? Can't be arsed with any hassle tbh

Edit: Obviously depends on the buyer, but I mean the paperwork side of things

Edited by deej

Just now, deej said:

Yeah, you both just sign the log book and send it off to the DVLA. You can probably do it online now.

44 minutes ago, deej said:

Edit: Obviously depends on the buyer, but I mean the paperwork side of things

I've only ever sold a car privately once but was surprised at how easy it was. Unless you're absolutely desperate to get rid ASAP, i'd say avoid WBAC.

I just took a few photos, stuck it on Auto Trader (think the advert was about £60) and it had sold within a couple of days.

I was selling an Astra at the time so there were loads of them out there. My thought process at the time was to set the advertised price at around 10%-15% more than what I was willing to accept as nobody will offer the advertised price so it gives you a bit of room to negotiate. When I was selling mine I put it up for £5000 but had a figure of around £4500 in my head. Think I ended up selling it for £4700 in the end.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've only ever sold a car privately once but was surprised at how easy it was. Unless you're absolutely desperate to get rid ASAP, i'd say avoid WBAC.

I just took a few photos, stuck it on Auto Trader (think the advert was about £60) and it had sold within a couple of days.

I was selling an Astra at the time so there were loads of them out there. My thought process at the time was to set the advertised price at around 10%-15% more than what I was willing to accept as nobody will offer the advertised price so it gives you a bit of room to negotiate. When I was selling mine I put it up for £5000 but had a figure of around £4500 in my head. Think I ended up selling it for £4700 in the end.

Done both private sale and WBAC sale depending on circumstance. 

I find that private sales are best for low value cars that dealers and others aren't interested. The issue is the tyre kickers and time wasters- "I know it's £2500 but I've only got £1500".

I'm always wary of getting paid with private individuals when it gets to be a large sum too. WBAC and Part-Ex are quick and less hassle so it is a balance. Last car I sold was worth £5k-5.5k but had some wear and tear / rust and things starting to need done. I had a new car and I wanted shot quickly. Did WBAC who were only interested in visual appearance. Got quoted £5000 but accepted £4500 eventually from them after the nonsense £3000 quotes they started to give were kicked into touch. I was happy with that price and it took about 1 hour from me driving down there to getting home so not bad.

Saw it on Autotrader with a dealer trying to flog it for £6500- good luck to them - as good a car as it had been to me, I'd never buy it at that price with knowledge! Just isn't worth that!

Edited by flyingscot

Gumtree. It’s piss easy and free. Set the price competitively and your phone will ring off the hook.

On 23/07/2019 at 00:41, pub car king said:

Our fiesta has a light on with the fault code for the front o2 sensor I have a cheap code reader so turned it off. It's not driving any differently so going to leave it. O2 sensors are common on petrol cars so will just have to wait and see. 

I drive a Vauxhall Astra.

Engine Management light needed to be turned of for the MOT, now a fail if on.

Cost me £250,  170 of it for the part.

Passed MOT two weeks ago and came back on again today.

Don't know whether to take it back to Mechanic or wait untill near next MOT date to get it sorted.

The EML's are notoriously hard to keep off at times.

Edited by sureiknow

15 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Don't know whether to take it back to Mechanic or wait untill near next MOT date to get it sorted.

Some shoe polish over the warning light should do the trick.

Failing that heater on full windows open 

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

Some shoe polish over the warning light should do the trick.

Failing that heater on full windows open 

Wish it was that easy, was considering a bit of black tape over it but the MOT inspector has to see it come on then go of again. And stay off.

Spoil Sport.

The 1.3 diesel by any chance?

A friend has sold his to a mechanic after years of it cutting out whilst driving around.

Its suspected to be the fuel manifold pressure sensor but it's been in 2 garages about 3 times each.