Car advice

9 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I turned mine off, because this is how Terminator started.

My lane assist is trying to kill me. There's a fast bend in Fife that seems to confuse the car. I want it to go left, it wants me to go into a tree or into oncoming traffic. I could switch it off but it livens up an otherwise dull journey. 

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My lane assist is trying to kill me. There's a fast bend in Fife that seems to confuse the car. I want it to go left, it wants me to go into a tree or into oncoming traffic. I could switch it off but it livens up an otherwise dull journey. 

I had a similar scenario with a hire car Insignia in Spain last month.  Going round a fairly easy bend in the road and I strayed too close to the white line and it wrenched the wheel back to the right away from me.

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Fu**ing Hell.

47 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I had a similar scenario with a hire car Insignia in Spain last month.  Going round a fairly easy bend in the road and I strayed too close to the white line and it wrenched the wheel back to the right away from me.

Yes mine does that too it’s quite freaky until you get used to it. 

I turned lane assist off the day I got the car and it’s not been back on since.

Does the noise go away when you dip the clutch?

Does it get worse under heavy load?

Can you do anything to affect the noise?

Youd be getting a heavy thudding noise more than a vibration, from my experience of them, and youd hear a different noise when under load. But if you're getting a vibration when sitting idle, it can literally only be something on the block. I wouldnt rule out a misfire as my own car had one and didn't put a light on. Dont even rule out something stupid like an engine mounting if you're not able to affect the noise. But the dual mass flywheel are a common problem, they can seize and instead of absorbing the shock they just transfer it back through the crankshaft.

Honestly, it's hard to diagnose certain things without seeing the car and understand exactly what's going on.

So took it to Garage for diagnostics, turns out it's the Duel mass flywheel. They will cover this part and labour under warranty so happy days. As I suspected they said I'd be best getting clutch done at same time(it's not gone or anything ) but based on age of car it probably will within next 5k miles. Basically there is no extra labour for clutch as it's same labour time roughly as flywheel. So long and short of it is that I will get a new clutch, flywheel and associated labour but only pay for the clutch part. Probably saved me about £800-£1000. Warranty only cost £500 quid for 2 yrs so I'm up already!!!

New clutch and Flywheel will last at least another 60kmiles so happy days.

12 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

So took it to Garage for diagnostics, turns out it's the Duel mass flywheel. They will cover this part and labour under warranty so happy days. As I suspected they said I'd be best getting clutch done at same time(it's not gone or anything ) but based on age of car it probably will within next 5k miles. Basically there is no extra labour for clutch as it's same labour time roughly as flywheel. So long and short of it is that I will get a new clutch, flywheel and associated labour but only pay for the clutch part. Probably saved me about £800-1000k. Warranty only cost £500 quid for 2 yrs so I'm up already!!!
New clutch and Flywheel will last at least another 60kmiles so happy days.

I hope you mean £1K becuase £10000000 seems steep to me

I'm playing a game of russian roulette with my old diesel astra.  The mot expires in September and it only just scraped through last year as the front suspension is fucked, both struts are leaking fluid.
Since then the horn is fucked, the turbo has a feint whistle, the steering vibrates at 60mph but is alright at 100mph, the suspension is now really really fucked and the handling is gash on corners, the clutch makes a horrendous noise on the bite point and I suspect the aircon has expired. 
I'm just waiting for one of these or another unnoticed fault to cause the b*****d to expire on me at the worst possible time, makes every journey interesting. 
f**k going 100mph in this thing

Our Alfa Romeo failed it’s MOT a few weeks back, mainly because it’s now an old and rusty death trap. Today was the sad day that it went off to the scrapyard for a few hundred quid. I am only just learning to drive so I didn’t drive it but my OH is pretty sad to see it go.

That said we are off to look at a cheap Peugeot 207 tomorrow, which will be my car, all being well and I actually pass my test!

On 29/04/2019 at 10:59, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Keep in mind the tesla model 3 releases in the UK this year, comparable price to a bmw3 series and a 300 mile range with a battery that can be 70% charged in 20 mins or so, it’ll be a game changer. Prices will come down in next ten years.

Out now, cheapest model does 258 miles at £38,000, another 9k and you get 348. I guess it depends on your driving though, probably a lot less if you thrash it.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/model3/design#battery

Anyone got a recent VW group car with a 1.5 TSI engine? Was looking at a Skoda Octavia with one but there are numerous stories around about kangerooing and loss of power in low gears . Seems for be an issue with multiple cars using that engine, VW, Seat, Audi and Skoda all being reported.

On 30/04/2019 at 11:19, Shandon Par said:

This is pretty impressive. Tesla driver gets rear ended and is about to crash into the car in front when the autopilot takes over.

Some absolute nugget scraped my rear bumper when I was parked at the beach recently. The scrapes are very deep and it looks like more work than just a paint touch up. The reflector is also broken. As someone who knows absolutely zip about anything car related, could anyone estimate how much a new bumper would be if it came to that?