Car advice

Guest The Phoenix

If it was me I would keep the Civic,yes the Seat is a good car with VW running gear and bullet proof engines but 134k would make it a hard car to sell in the future.

If the guy's offering a straight swap, I'd look out for the reason why.

Guest The Phoenix
My son is only looking for 3k for his motor and the Seat is worth about the same.

I appreciate that but nevertheless I'd still be suspicious and want get his car given a thorough professional check.

My son has a Honda Civic Type R. It is on a 53 plate with 105k on the clock. He lives through the west but works in Edinburgh so he has a bit of a commute a couple of times a week. He has been looking to change the car for something more economical.

A guy has offered him a straight swap for a Seat Leon FR TDi. It is on a 05 plate with 134k on the clock. It also has 10 months mot on it.

I have seen pictures of the car and it looks very nice.

Does anybody on here have any experience of these cars and if so what should we look out for on it?

Both great cars, your son will certainly appreciate the 54 MPG on the Seat compared to around 30 on the Civic. Also a considerable saving in road tax from £280 PA to £125.

One thing he will miss is the acceleration from just over 6 secs 0-60 on the Civic to 12.5 on the Seat!

Re Kia Ceed, i recently delivered one from East Kilbride to South Wales, all in i used £40 diesel and it was immense to drive on the twisty Welsh back roads, extremely frugal and surprisingly nippy, far better car than your expensive VW and Audi TDI'S (which only wankers drive anyway) + 7 year warranty, i know for a fact KIA are reporting record sale's on their diesel model's particularly the CEED'S.

The SEAT being the FR code model also has an inferior 2.0tdi engine and they have severe problems with injectors, diesel particular filters f**k up all the time and the duel mass flywheels are pricey as f**k to change and prone to regular disaster, 1.9 PD TDI PD code engine's were the best upto 2003 ish. I would sell the Civic for £3000 ono and purchase a nice Passat / Skoda /A4 tdi estate from 2001-2003ish with a fsh and good bodywork for same money

That'd be like exchanging fine steak for McDonalds. Tell Mr Seat Owner to go f**k himself. Sounds like his car's on the way out and is chancing his luck. Seat ain't bad motors but the build and reliability of Honda is far superior.

Seat build quality is easily on par with Honda ever since VAG took them over, more so on newer cars,

The Leon would be a fair swap if the condition of both cars is similar!!

That seat will have the VW PD 1.9 engine one of the best diesel engines around provided the timing belt has been done every 60k and the oil is changed using the right grade it will just keep going. Oh and they fucking fly it has more torque than a porsche boxster

That seat will have the VW PD 1.9 engine one of the best diesel engines around provided the timing belt has been done every 60k and the oil is changed using the right grade it will just keep going. Oh and they fucking fly it has more torque than a porsche boxster

Aye, and with an ECU re-map and straight through exhaust it will shred a Boxster no sweat off the line and through 3rd and 4th gear!!

I have had an 07 plate Leon FR for the last two years and have no complaints. I have a 100 mile round trip every day and can get close to 60 mpg if I am being careful.

Two things to check are that the timing belt has been done (as a couple of others have said) and that the injectors have been replaced if they car was part of the recall.

If you are looking for an about the town car, buy a petrol.

Many diesels have diesel particulate filters in-line in the exhaust to trap soot and they often get blocked in town / city driving situations

You then have to take the car a blast up the Motorway or drive at 4,000 RPM or so to regenerate the filter (bake off the soot).

Pain in the erse.

No doubt the Micra is a 2003 or over ??? Fitted with the Renault engine, timing chain constantly fucking up on these Micra's, Primera's and Almera's of this generation, better with the older JAPANESE timing chain engine which never stretched and would do 250,000 + miles

Much like my team, the Micra is going to the scrappie on Wednesday. :bairn

I have a turbo diesel and this has never happened with it.

My mate used to have a Peugeot 306 though, and every now and then the injectors would clog with deposits from the diesel, and this would limit the power to the engine. A quick whizz down the motorway would always blast the crud out though.

Pitfall of regularly filling up with diesel from supermarkets apparently. The reason it's usually dearer at BP, Shell etc is supposedly they put additives in it that make it a bit cleaner and better for your car.

I always fill up at esso, only a couple of pence more than the supermarkets, but better for the car and I notice a difference in consumption.