Car advice

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

What’s the vehicle? With that knowledge, a judgement on the cost can be made. As everyone notes, various brands and models can have crazy price differences in parts.

It's an electric Corsa, and it was in a main dealer since it's was the last service before the warranty runs out. The cost doesn't particularly worry me as I'd probably use the local garage I've used for years and trust. The thing that bothered me was the 'critical' brake faults that needed to be urgently fixed, but they were not serious enough to be mentioned on the MOT. That just seems to me to be the garage trying to scam people who have even less car knowledge than me.

6 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Had the car in for a service and it’s first MOT today. I was sent a vehicle health check that said the rear brake discs and pads were in a critical condition, with the discs needing immediate replacement, and the pads needing replaced to maintain safe operation. The garage then phoned to say the car is ready for pick up and the car had passed it’s MOT with no failures or advisories. I’m a bit puzzled how the health check can say brake discs need immediate replacement, but the MOT is OK. Maybe something to do with the fact they don’t have the brake parts in stock so they couldn’t sting me for new brakes to pass the MOT. They then quoted £400 to replace back pads and discs, which seems extremely expensive to me.

That's about normal these days, prices have shot up. Might be worth taking it to another garage for them just to have a look, don't know what that would cost though.

P.S. Just seen your second post, local garage will be ideal.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

It's an electric Corsa, and it was in a main dealer since it's was the last service before the warranty runs out. The cost doesn't particularly worry me as I'd probably use the local garage I've used for years and trust. The thing that bothered me was the 'critical' brake faults that needed to be urgently fixed, but they were not serious enough to be mentioned on the MOT. That just seems to me to be the garage trying to scam people who have even less car knowledge than me.

Well, can’t find a differentiation between electric and normal Corsa rear discs…the dealer will be asking about £250 for the discs and £180 on the pads, so £450 is a bit lower than it could be…but after market the discs and pads can be got for £180 or so for the set. I agree with @welshbairn, it’s crying out for a local garage you trust to do the job…if it needs done.

Your rear brakes will virtually never be used in a fully electric car, so there's a chance youll be changing them regularly. 

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your rear brakes will virtually never be used in a fully electric car, so there's a chance youll be changing them regularly. 

That is true, as more electric/hybrid models are now including programming to “exercise” the mechanical brakes due to cases of literally rusted into unusability (especially rear) discs.

I just found the invoice from my local garage for replacing front and back discs and pads on a Ford Kuga. It was 18 months ago, but it was only £400. So I think £400 to replace only rear discs and pads on a Corsa from the main dealer might be a tad high.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I had to think about that until @TxRover explained. I assumed that with regenerative braking you'd be replacing brakes less frequently.

25 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I just found the invoice from my local garage for replacing front and back discs and pads on a Ford Kuga. It was 18 months ago, but it was only £400. So I think £400 to replace only rear discs and pads on a Corsa from the main dealer might be a tad high.

The prices of parts have shot up along with second hand car prices since covid, I paid similar a couple of months ago and a mechanic mate says it's standard. I did shop around a bit but everywhere else was booked solid for 6 weeks or so.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I had to think about that until @TxRover explained. I assumed that with regenerative braking you'd be replacing brakes less frequently.

I have an Accord Hybrid, and every morning the rear brake moan on the first couple of applications if it’s humid/wet. The rear (mechanical) brakes get little use while driving, especially compared to the fronts, so even at slow speeds, on a cold start, the rear mechanical brakes get used in preference to the regenerative braking to sweep the discs clear for a few cycles.

4 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

When I last got my pads and discs done I bought them from europarts and took them to the garage and they took an hours work to fit them. 

Only downside to buying the parts yourself is some garages won’t warrant the work the same way as if they provide the parts. The reality is the garage makes money on both the labor and parts, so I don’t provide parts unless it’s something unusual that couldn’t be ordered at the local parts house.

4 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

When I last got my pads and discs done I bought them from europarts and took them to the garage and they took an hours work to fit them. 

Last time someone brought us brakes from Euro car parts the job cost them more than if they'd just let us order the bits, because they'd managed to get the wrong disks.

Take your own parts in and most garages won't sympathise with their labour costs.

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Only downside to buying the parts yourself is some garages won’t warrant the work the same way as if they provide the parts. The reality is the garage makes money on both the labor and parts, so I don’t provide parts unless it’s something unusual that couldn’t be ordered at the local parts house.

Not sure if this is what  he was meaning but Euro car parts offer a service that you buy the parts from them and you can have them fitted at selected  local garages  which offer a price for fitting if bought from euro car parts,  meaning you get the parts at “cost price “ they may well charge a higher labour cost never used them so unsure 2bh . 

51 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Not sure if this is what  he was meaning but Euro car parts offer a service that you buy the parts from them and you can have them fitted at selected  local garages  which offer a price for fitting if bought from euro car parts,  meaning you get the parts at “cost price “ they may well charge a higher labour cost never used them so unsure 2bh . 

That’s different than I understood…but “Tire Rack” in the U.S. offers a similar deal, selling tyres and shipping them to an approved dealer who installs at a set price…a price you can beat walking in.

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That’s different than I understood…but “Tire Rack” in the U.S. offers a similar deal, selling tyres and shipping them to an approved dealer who installs at a set price…a price you can beat walking in.

It may be the same idea ,as they won’t be making a mark up on the parts so may charge more to fit unless they are hoping to get more punters threw the door and just charge a standard labour rate ,had a quick swatch there on there site and without the discount codes  usually 10/15 % that they always have would be just under £90 at the cheapest local garage  to me to have front pads fitted on a Merc sprinter van.  

36 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

It may be the same idea ,as they won’t be making a mark up on the parts so may charge more to fit unless they are hoping to get more punters threw the door and just charge a standard labour rate ,had a quick swatch there on there site and without the discount codes  usually 10/15 % that they always have would be just under £90 at the cheapest local garage  to me to have front pads fitted on a Merc sprinter van.  

I suspect they will be getting a kickback from the parts sales from the seller they are contracted with.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Harry Briscoe Esq said:

I have a number plate on my motorbike which I would like to retain and transfer to a mate who would like it on his car. Can anyone clarify if DVLA give you a new reg number as part of the retention fee or would I have to buy a replacement number plate?

DVLA will issue a new registration to put onto the bike.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Hyundai suddenly developed a strange grating noise when reversing to the left. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong ?

To clarify:

Noise only occurs when in reverse, and moving, with steering wheel turning or turned left? Does it occur for any period of time once a forward gear is selected, before or after movement forward starts? Does applying the brakes change the grating sound? Then, is there any noise with a slow forward left turn? Finally, can you isolate to front or rear of car, and if not, perhaps someone outside can listen?

Offhand possibilities are a wearing CV joint, a brake drag issue or possibly a stone stuck. The “when turning” makes the CV a leading candidate…any clicking noise? Look under the front for torn CV boots?