Car advice

• 2 weeks later...

Well the astra has started to make a horrendous judder when I turn it off which I suspect is the flywheel which goes with the fuel injection issue. 

Time to look at the finances and line up a replacement. 

This is the most likely candidate. 

Screenshot_20230228_214031_Chrome.jpg

38 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

What can you use to take off dirt under the paint? I.e. tree sap style stuff. It’s a white car and it looks Corry dirty but the dirt won’t budge.

Meguiars clay bar kit was always my go-to for this. Paint feels smooth as glass when you're done.

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

What can you use to take off dirt under the paint? I.e. tree sap style stuff. It’s a white car and it looks Corry dirty but the dirt won’t budge.

20 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Meguiars clay bar kit was always my go-to for this. Paint feels smooth as glass when you're done.

Zetterlund nailed it, the ultimate solution to a paint issue is the clay bar treatment. However, be careful, if you don’t know how, take your time, minimize the areas at a go and constantly rotate the cleaning surface…it is entirely too easy to plow a furrow into your paint if you catch a good sized bit of something solid in the clay surface.

Basically it’s not a problem with the paint, but simply materials in the clear coat on top of the colour coat that are causing the dirty look. Here’s a pretty simple tutorial on it: 

54 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

To add to @Zetterlund advice, on the vans I use a clay mitt which does save  a lot of time compared to a clay bar and can be reused many times ,a fallout remover should probably be used before claying , might need to compound out any minor paint damage , will need waxed after a claying ,a cheap sealant would be summit  like turtle wax seal and shine which can be sprayed on wet and used as a drying aid,quick and easy and cheap . 

@Scotty Tunbridge watch it. I had a go with a clay bar on the wife’s car (thankfully on a fairly small hidden area) and very quickly realised I was making a complete cnut of it and stopped.

Sometimes it’s worth the money just to hand it to a professional who’s got all the gear and knows what they’re doing. There’s a reason they’re in business…

Most of the problem was whisky fungus, a hazard of living near a distillery. I thought it couldn't look any worse, so gave it a try. 

Doused the car in the toilet stuff, wiped it off, then rinsed with clean water. My mate thought I'd had it re-sprayed.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Most of the problem was whisky fungus, a hazard of living near a distillery. I thought it couldn't look any worse, so gave it a try. 

Doused the car in the toilet stuff, wiped it of, then rinsed with clean water. My mate thought I'd had it re-sprayed.

I had you down as being older -

image.jpeg.688782cac446ba01d0076ed42f8cc4cb.jpeg