Car advice

3 hours ago, RiG said:

I've been looking at moving on my old Astra and like the look of the Hyundai Tucson but I'm put off by the MPG of the petrol engines. I wouldn't do a lot of miles a year so a diesel doesn't seem like a good choice. Are the petrols as bad as some of the reviews make out?

Really good cars,i wished we never sold ours.We got 40mpg for the 1.6 petrol.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

19 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I have the Mk3 (2019) Seat Leon 2.0 petrol FR estate. It's the 190 bhp. Can't recommend it enough. Has more extras than the similar Audi A4, comfortable and reasonably quick. Boot is big enough for both the dogs with a 5 star euro ncap. Being the Mk3 the heating is not part of the touch screen.

Great car imo.

Seats are what VWs used to be, IMO.

VWs are what Audis used to be.

Audis are what BMWs used to be.

BMWs are what Mercs used to be.

Mercs are now rusty piles. 

15 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Isn’t there now quite a bit of common design and parts shared between Mercedes and Renault? I’m sure I heard someone say an A-Class Mercedes is basically just a Renault Megane in a posh frock? 

A 1.5 diesel A-Class has the same engine in it as a Kangoo van.

But aye. You can find the same engine in a Merc as a Dacia.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Isn’t there now quite a bit of common design and parts shared between Mercedes and Renault? I’m sure I heard someone say an A-Class Mercedes is basically just a Renault Megane in a posh frock? 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A 1.5 diesel A-Class has the same engine in it as a Kangoo van.

But aye. You can find the same engine in a Merc as a Dacia.

A Renault engine is in the Mercedes:

A-Class – A 160 (d), A 180 (d), A 200, A 220e, and A 250

B-Class – B 160 (d), B 180 (d), B 200, and B 250e

CLA-Class – CLA 180 (d), CLA 200, and CLA 250e

C-Class – C 180 d and C 200 d

GLA-Class – GLA 180 d and GLA 200

GLB-Class – GLB 180 d and GLB 200

Citan – 108 CDI, 109 CDI, 110 (CDI), 111 CDI, 112 CDI, and 113

Vito – 109 CDI and 111 CDI

And, yep, Renailt/Nissan engines in Dacia’s too.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

A Renault engine is in the Mercedes:

A-Class – A 160 (d), A 180 (d), A 200, A 220e, and A 250

B-Class – B 160 (d), B 180 (d), B 200, and B 250e

CLA-Class – CLA 180 (d), CLA 200, and CLA 250e

C-Class – C 180 d and C 200 d

GLA-Class – GLA 180 d and GLA 200

GLB-Class – GLB 180 d and GLB 200

Citan – 108 CDI, 109 CDI, 110 (CDI), 111 CDI, 112 CDI, and 113

Vito – 109 CDI and 111 CDI

And, yep, Renailt/Nissan engines in Dacia’s too.

Thats outrageous 😄 So the only decent Merc engine is the 4 litre V8? Which does sound awesome. 

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Replacing a Door Seal

Is that the kind of thing I should be doing myself or should I really just pay someone that knows what they're doing?

Just do it yourself. Gorilla glue and duct tape will sort it out no problem. 

Be sure to post pictures of your work. 

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Replacing a Door Seal

Is that the kind of thing I should be doing myself or should I really just pay someone that knows what they're doing?

I was always game for a bit of enthusiastic DIY when I was younger but bitter experience has taught me you inevitably get a better outcome when paying a professional who knows what they’re doing. (This advice can be applied to many walks of life, HTH). 

Playing the old car insurance renewals game today, quoted price was an increase of £295 from last year, got quotes cheaper obviously, so phoned up expecting the old dance of getting them to match it and inevitably just stay with the same company - guy on the other end was not playing ball - either he couldn't be arsed with retentions or the fine folk at Admiral are really sticking to their guns now, even when he was fannying about with upping my excess and removing things I already had (which I obviously wouldn't let them actually do) they couldn't match the quote I had given them to compare against.

Back to the drawing board. 

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Replacing a Door Seal

There are dozens of DIY videos out there, but this is a borderline one. If the seal requires some sort of adhesive or interior trim removal, I’d pay someone unless the car is over 10-15 years old. If it’s just a push in place seal, with maybe removing the sill plate to install it under that, then go for it. Best tip is if it’s an open end seal rather than a loop of seal material, locate the join at the lowest point of the door opening. Also, if having to match the ends, be very careful installing the seal, as pressure with stretch the material slightly, and if you cut and match the join at that time, a few minutes later you’ll have a half inch gap at the join.

On 11/02/2023 at 16:06, RandomGuy. said:

Seats are what VWs used to be, IMO.

VWs are what Audis used to be.

Audis are what BMWs used to be.

BMWs are what Mercs used to be.

Mercs are now rusty piles. 

Hire car I had when I was home recently was an A200. Handling was superb and it was nippy as f**k when you put the foot down. Had a look at prices and they were cheaper than I expected. This thread seems to explain why, I guess.

I assume that servicing costs on Mercs are still sky high despite being glorified Renaults?

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

Hire car I had when I was home recently was an A200. Handling was superb and it was nippy as f**k when you put the foot down. Had a look at prices and they were cheaper than I expected. This thread seems to explain why, I guess.

I assume that servicing costs on Mercs are still sky high despite being glorified Renaults?

Ja…but you might find that like in the U.S., you can get the Merc’s basic service like an oil change at Renault. Over here you can find things like some servicing of a Lexus at a Toyota dealer…or buying BMW parts for your Rolls…or VW parts for your Bentley…

21 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Playing the old car insurance renewals game today, quoted price was an increase of £295 from last year, got quotes cheaper obviously, so phoned up expecting the old dance of getting them to match it and inevitably just stay with the same company - guy on the other end was not playing ball - either he couldn't be arsed with retentions or the fine folk at Admiral are really sticking to their guns now, even when he was fannying about with upping my excess and removing things I already had (which I obviously wouldn't let them actually do) they couldn't match the quote I had given them to compare against.

Back to the drawing board. 

Admiral made no effort to retain my custom when my OH and I stuck each other on our respective cars and got an quote from Aviva who were about £150 cheaper with better levels of cover.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Admiral made no effort to retain my custom when my OH and I stuck each other on our respective cars and got an quote from Aviva who were about £150 cheaper with better levels of cover.

Aye. It's an odd yin this time as usually they've bent over backwards to keep me, but this time when I called their bluff the guy just said ok and set the cancel date. 

Will give them one other crack in a few days to see if they will match or at least come close, if only to avoid having to pay a whack of a new premium upfront.