Car advice

38 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Got a slow puncture, the problem is the spare is under the van and the bolt holding it up is covered in shit, cleaned up using wire brush and release oil as best as possible. The bolt is now moving but jamming, would it be okay to use an impact gun on this as long as I don't go mental with it? 

Yes.

45 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Got a slow puncture, the problem is the spare is under the van and the bolt holding it up is covered in shit, cleaned up using wire brush and release oil as best as possible. The bolt is now moving but jamming, would it be okay to use an impact gun on this as long as I don't go mental with it? 

Work it back and forward with the impact gun, this should also clean the threads.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Work it back and forward with the impact gun, this should also clean the threads.

Fresh oil above and below, if possible, before the first whack at it, will help move the crud away when it rotates. Possible moral of this story is it shouldn’t have been this difficult if you’d been checking that space was inflated every month or two…and,'on that note, expect the spare to need some air too.

16 hours ago, Empty It said:

Yes................but just make sure that the socket you are using on the bolt is good quality - which may or may not be apparent while you use the ratchet.

I occasionally use them with my impact driver for work, and while your driver will be fine (even if it jams the clutch should engage) the point of failure is often shitey quality sockets which can round off on the (usually better quality) nut head or even crack.

Good luck !

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Yes................but just make sure that the socket you are using on the bolt is good quality - which may or may not be apparent while you use the ratchet.

I occasionally use them with my impact driver for work, and while your driver will be fine (even if it jams the clutch should engage) the point of failure is often shitey quality sockets which can round off on the (usually better quality) nut head or even crack.

Good luck !

Managed to get it, was using an impact socket with the gun by it was still an absolute b*****d, after cleaning the bolt the threads don't look the best and obviously its a funny thread instead of a standard M10.

20230104_090811.jpg

7 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Managed to get it, was using an impact socket with the gun by it was still an absolute b*****d, after cleaning the bolt the threads don't look the best and obviously its a funny thread instead of a standard M10.

Be tempted to get a replacement, but theres obvs a lot of crap up inside so maybe give it a lube?

Jimmy Carr Reaction GIF by The QI Elves

You dont want that needing removed on a cold wet February night at the side of the road 😬

28 minutes ago, Empty It said:

20230104_090811.jpg

Big team found

After saying Cazoo were decent after 2 and a bit months the emission control warning light is on and the first time they can take a look is the 18th, probably what comes from only having one garage in Scotland.

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

After saying Cazoo were decent after 2 and a bit months the emission control warning light is on and the first time they can take a look is the 18th, probably what comes from only having one garage in Scotland.

Is it a diesel? If so, take it for a blast, driving in a lower gear.

57 minutes ago, 101 said:

My old 184hp diesel Leon was a c**t for the emissions light. Had a real battle with the garage. Eventually parked it outside with a load of rude notes about them stuck to the windows and they fixed it all under warranty and said something deep in the dpf was faulty after all. 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My old 184hp diesel Leon was a c**t for the emissions light. Had a real battle with the garage. Eventually parked it outside with a load of rude notes about them stuck to the windows and they fixed it all under warranty and said something deep in the dpf was faulty after all. 

Not sure if this warrants a Kenneth or not... 

37 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is it a diesel? If so, take it for a blast, driving in a lower gear.

Petrol and auto, wonder if I force it in a low gear it will see sense? Also it has an error with the stop start, I just thought the battery was low but it didn't clear after a non stop run to North Wales so figured that would have fully charged the battery.

14 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Cheers, the warranty expires on the 24th so I'm glad they are looking at it when it's covered and just hope they can't sort it out, it's going up to Glenshee next week and it seems fine but I'd rather they looked at it sooner rather than later.

Two separate times I've had the emission light come on and both times it ended up just needing the fuel filter replaced. Apparently that warning light can point to multiple things. The garage I took the car to plugged it in and there was a fault code pointing to a blocked filter.

After this I bought my own bluetooth code reader for 20-odd quid which has come in handy a few times since.