Car advice

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 06/08/2022 at 20:07, Ekhibee88 said:
Raging at myself but I hit another car in a car park and drove off without leaving a note , I received a letter from my insurer saying my car was involved in an incident and to contact back. What is the best way to go about this? Inform police or go back to the shop? 

Hope you get points, a fine and increased premiums.

Between 5 and 10 points for this offence, a possible ban and a max fine of 5k. 

On 06/08/2022 at 20:07, Ekhibee88 said:

Raging at myself but I hit another car in a car park and drove off without leaving a note , I received a letter from my insurer saying my car was involved in an incident and to contact back. What is the best way to go about this? Inform police or go back to the shop? 

Pretty poor form*. Take your medicine.

*Unless you hit a white Range Rover Evoque

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'll just leave this here. I don't think there will be any relevance to recent posts :whistle

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/car-smashed-up-suspected-hit-27675940

The drive is a c**t on the pavement no chance anyone in a wheelchair or with a pram is getting past him and would be forced onto the road in what he describes as fast and accident prone, doesn't sound like he's that brightest spark in the box.

Just had work done on my exhaust and the garage have told me there's a noise coming from one of the front wheel bearing. I'm guessing it can't be that serious yet or they would have told me to get it fixed. Haven't noticed or heard anything before now and the steering seems fine. 

It's due for it's MOT/service in less than a fortnight and I've got a few hundred mainly motorway miles to do between now and then. Will I be OK to leave it until then?

Typical this is all happening now that I'm changing car in the new year.

Edited by Stu

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just had work done on my exhaust and the garage have told me there's a noise coming from one of the front wheel bearing. I'm guessing it can't be that serious yet or they would have told me to get it fixed. Haven't noticed or heard anything before now and the steering seems fine. 

It's due for it's MOT/service in less than a fortnight and I've got a few hundred mainly motorway miles to do between now and then. Will I be OK to leave it until then?

Typical this is all happening now that I'm changing car in the new year.

What kind of noise?

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What kind of noise?

Just said a noise. Have been for a 5-10 minute drive in it and didn't hear any unusual noises or feel any unusual vibrations until the last 30 seconds, when there might have been a bit of a rumbling sound from the problem wheel when I got up to 60 - but that could just be because I was looking for a problem or because it was on brand new tarmac.

If that's the extent of the noise then guessing I'm ok for a few more weeks.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Just said a noise. Have been for a 5-10 minute drive in it and didn't hear any unusual noises or feel any unusual vibrations until the last 30 seconds, when there might have been a bit of a rumbling sound from the problem wheel when I got up to 60 - but that could just be because I was looking for a problem or because it was on brand new tarmac.

If that's the extent of the noise then guessing I'm ok for a few more weeks.

Rumbling like thunder or an earthquake?

Thunder - but it could have been the noise it always makes and I’m just listening out for stuff.

Guy at the garage never said I should get it looked at or anything like that so guessing it’s just something to keep an eye on. Will have a better idea after my trip to Paisley for the football on Saturday I guess.

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thunder - but it could have been the noise it always makes and I’m just listening out for stuff.

Guy at the garage never said I should get it looked at or anything like that so guessing it’s just something to keep an eye on. Will have a better idea after my trip to Paisley for the football on Saturday I guess.

Nearby thunder or far away?

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

a high pitched squeaking sound comes and go's.  Hard to say exactly when its happening at moment. A quick google suggests possibly fan belt or brakes. Which is the more expensive so that I can pray its the other one? 

I've got the same, pretty sure it's the brakes.

45 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

a high pitched squeaking sound comes and go's.  Hard to say exactly when its happening at moment. A quick google suggests possibly fan belt or brakes. Which is the more expensive so that I can pray its the other one? 

Brakes are more often a squeal. The older style wear indicator will squeal loudly while you reverse (when the metal first contacts the brake disk). That indicates a need to replace pads BEFORE toy damage the rotor and do significantly more damage to your wallet.

A high pitched squeal/squeak could be a slipping belt, of which you could have either one large serpentine one or several older style v-belts. They aren’t terribly expensive, but can be a b*****d to change on some cars. They could also be making noise due to a damaged tensioner or pulley bearing, which gets expensive quickly.

If it’s an occasional, rhythmic squeaking, it could also be suspension components, which is a total grab bag of costs.

In all cases, the quicker you get it diagnosed, the better.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Brakes are more often a squeal. The older style wear indicator will squeal loudly while you reverse (when the metal first contacts the brake disk). That indicates a need to replace pads BEFORE toy damage the rotor and do significantly more damage to your wallet.

A high pitched squeal/squeak could be a slipping belt, of which you could have either one large serpentine one or several older style v-belts. They aren’t terribly expensive, but can be a b*****d to change on some cars. They could also be making noise due to a damaged tensioner or pulley bearing, which gets expensive quickly.

If it’s an occasional, rhythmic squeaking, it could also be suspension components, which is a total grab bag of costs.

In all cases, the quicker you get it diagnosed, the better.

A high pitched squeal/squeak I think it is more. I guess I just need to face the music. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated

Edited by BigDoddyKane