Car advice

44 minutes ago, Lex said:

Wanting to buy a second hand car. Max budget 10k. Any recommendations?
Was thinking of a Skoda and seen a few decent ones on auto trader for around 8k.

Do not buy a fabia Monte Carlo, shitest car I've ever driven. 

I've just bought st line focus. Ecoboost but can shift.

Was thinking of a Skoda and seen a few decent ones on auto trader for around 8k.
If it's want to buy then wait a price second hand are as high as they've ever been, if it's need to buy then what size, what will it be used for?

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
6 hours ago, Lex said:

If it's want to buy then wait a price second hand are as high as they've ever been, if it's need to buy then what size, what will it be used for?

I use mine for transport. I'm lazy and I don't  care about the environment.

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

I would wait a while if you can as car prices are just crazy 

Would agree, although afaik you can get a higher value on a trade in from a dealership than usual if you go down that route, otherwise its a bit of a wild west at the minute. Had a look out of curiousity and a similar year/mileage/trim on my Astra is currently going for about £1.5k - £2k more than what I paid for it last year on Autotrader, dread to think what used VW's/Audi's are going for...

Been toying with the idea of changing my car because second hand car prices are daft at the moment.  WBAC are coming up with a figure of £18k for my 5 yo car at the moment so about double what it would be worth in a normal market I think.

If I took it to a dealer for a trade in are they coming up with those silly numbers as well?  Also if I chose a new car that wasn’t in stock at the moment and I had to wait a few months for it if all the finance/trade-in value was sorted now would the dealer have to honour it if the market suddenly turned normal and the trade-in for my car became a lemon for them?

Not sure how it works if they just take your car away for the trade-in and could then leave you without a car for months while you wait on the new one.

Edited by Left Back

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Also if I chose a new car that wasn’t in stock at the moment and I had to wait a few months for it if all the finance/trade-in value was sorted now would the dealer have to honour it if the market suddenly turned normal and the trade-in for my car became a lemon for them?

Nah.  They'd wriggle out of it, of course.  The trade-in would be priced at the time of completion unless you're thinking of starting a market in car price futures.

I have gone through a similar process to you with my 2013 Golf and have  decided not to bother for at least another year.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nah.  They'd wriggle out of it, of course.  The trade-in would be priced at the time of completion unless you're thinking of starting a market in car price futures.

I have gone through a similar process to you with my 2013 Golf and have  decided not to bother for at least another year.

Cheers.  So basically if they have a new car I like in stock I can get a good deal.

What if they say they can get one delivered in a couple of weeks and that turns into say 3 months and in the meantime the market normalises?  Can I tell them to GTF or does the small print say I’m committed no matter how long delivery actually takes?

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Cheers.  So basically if they have a new car I like in stock I can get a good deal.

What if they say they can get one delivered in a couple of weeks and that turns into say 3 months and in the meantime the market normalises?  Can I tell them to GTF or does the small print say I’m committed no matter how long delivery actually takes?

That’s the thing here. Honestly, now is the time to buy a new car especially IF the vehicle you want is not a popular model, especially of your current vehicle is a popular type/model. Example, U.S. but applicable…got $4,000 over the value four month before for the Alfa I traded-in, and still managed to get $5,000 off the sticker on the Honda I bought. The key was picking a model I liked, but that isn’t moving off the front court. In this case, an Accord Hybrid in the Touring trim…they get 15% worse fuel mileage due to 19” tyres versus the other models with 17” tyres, and the previous year version, so they are just sitting on the lot and not selling. Basically I got the top level model for less than they would sell me the next model down, because that model (EX-L) is flying off the lot. My net gain was about $9,000 because of the chip shortage and Honda’s weird type choice…which, incidentally I like anyway.

As for are you committed, it does exactly depend upon the small print. In most cases it would’d be tied to if the purchase agreement you and the dealership signed is worded as binding and upon what basis. You should be able to negotiate terms that would protect you somewhat, but the seller will be doing the same as well. Plus, dealerships being in the business to earn money, spend a goodly amount on making sure they’ll get the better of you if anything happens…so it’s a risk. Here’s an interesting attempt at a summary:

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/bought-a-car-and-changed-my-mind/

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Been toying with the idea of changing my car because second hand car prices are daft at the moment.  WBAC are coming up with a figure of £18k for my 5 yo car at the moment so about double what it would be worth in a normal market I think.

If I took it to a dealer for a trade in are they coming up with those silly numbers as well?  Also if I chose a new car that wasn’t in stock at the moment and I had to wait a few months for it if all the finance/trade-in value was sorted now would the dealer have to honour it if the market suddenly turned normal and the trade-in for my car became a lemon for them?

Not sure how it works if they just take your car away for the trade-in and could then leave you without a car for months while you wait on the new one.

Find the car you want to buy and don’t expect much negotiating on the sticker price. Pay a £200 holding deposit. 

WBAC (or motorway are apparently better) for a price on your current and deal that way. 

Don’t expect to sell and then expect to buy into a bargain seems to be the current MO I’m afraid. 

39 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That's the ideal - but bear in mind that they're unlikely to discount the new car and are likely to reduce the trade in value on your existing car.  Margins for new cars are tight and bargains are rare.  BUT you can always walk away if you don't like the deal.

40 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I'd say you can walk away but, literally, caveat emptor.

I fancy a new car - my first in 20 years - but I've decided to wait.  My eldest finishes her MA next year so she can inherit my Golf and I can take my time to buy.

35 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Find the car you want to buy and don’t expect much negotiating on the sticker price. Pay a £200 holding deposit. 

WBAC (or motorway are apparently better) for a price on your current and deal that way. 

Don’t expect to sell and then expect to buy into a bargain seems to be the current MO I’m afraid. 

Didn’t expect to be able to negotiate much off a new motor at the moment but my thinking is simply cash in on the used car price now instead of running my current car for another 3/4 years as I’d planned to before buying another new car.

Had a very quick look and the only thing catching my interest is a B Class AMG e-line PHEV.  Don’t want to go pure electric at the moment with the way power prices are.  

The interest rate on their example finance deal is close to 6% which I’d never pay as I could borrow money from my bank far cheaper than that.  I assume they’d still honour the sticker price if they aren’t making anything on finance?

I bought a new car a couple of weeks ago. Not brand new, its 11 months old 70 plate. The price was high but I got a fucking stupid price for mine on trade in. Like 25% more than I was expecting. If you're trading in you can still get a good deal IMO because high trade in prices are offsetting the high used prices. I suspect you may get a worse deal currently as a cash buyer which obviously is unusual. 

Check how much Cazoo are offering for your car as well

Fucking sick to the back fucking teeth with cars. Just got my Suziki Celero back from a new clutch and MOT, now the clutch peddle is sort Of sticking about a quarter of the way down and makes a sort of clunk sound. Been told it could maybe be the clutch cable sticking, just needs a spray of wd40?

I'm about fucking done with motors this last year.

1 hour ago, Peter Grant said:

Saw an identical Golf GTi to my old one in an Arnold Clark garage the other day. 2 years old, 20k miles and the same price I paid for mine brand new 2 years ago. 

Bought my Polo GTI in April this year. I’ve put about 4,000 miles on it and Cazoo are offering me just under £3k more to buy it back. 

1 hour ago, Peter Grant said:

Saw an identical Golf GTi to my old one in an Arnold Clark garage the other day. 2 years old, 20k miles and the same price I paid for mine brand new 2 years ago. 

We have a customer who bought a Skoda Fabia for £9k last year, sold it to us a few months ago for the same price as he wanted an automatic. Webuyanycar now offering £11k for it...