Car advice

3 hours ago, Pato said:

Just go to your insurers and explain the situation. They have professional assessors who will tell him he's at it if they get a credible account from your partner (& volunteering to be involved is the first step towards appearing the more credible). Even if he's talking shite about his own damage he only has to phone the polis and your lives become much more complicated than necessary.

Aye maybe in the 60s.  The police will do less than the square root of f**k all with this. 

My advice is tell them to bolt.  If the accident happened in daylight and there was ample opportunity to inspect for damage and none was found at the time then they are clearly at it.

Contact your insurer and explain the situation. You can’t really tell them to bolt as if they have your registration they can get your insurance details from the Motor Insurance Database so it’s best you speak to your insurer first.

DId the incident happen in Scotland and did anyone have a passenger in their vehicle? 

I wouldn't bother contacting your insurance company tbh, the fucking vultures will up your premium any opportunity they get.

Just ignore them, they'll probably just ask to "sort it out with cash" if you mention the insurance company to them, at which point you'll know theyre at it.

13 hours ago, strichener said:

Aye maybe in the 60s.  The police will do less than the square root of f**k all with this. 

My advice is tell them to bolt.  If the accident happened in daylight and there was ample opportunity to inspect for damage and none was found at the time then they are clearly at it.

Clear daylight, but the boy claimed it was too dark to see the multiple scratches/chips all along the bumper

13 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Contact your insurer and explain the situation. You can’t really tell them to bolt as if they have your registration they can get your insurance details from the Motor Insurance Database so it’s best you speak to your insurer first.

DId the incident happen in Scotland and did anyone have a passenger in their vehicle? 

Scotland yes, passenger no. As far as I'm aware all he has is her phone number, not even a name.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't bother contacting your insurance company tbh, the fucking vultures will up your premium any opportunity they get.

Just ignore them, they'll probably just ask to "sort it out with cash" if you mention the insurance company to them, at which point you'll know theyre at it.

She received a snidey text about how he was 'trying to be nice at the time but in future will know not to trust anybody', so I assume he's phoned the police and they've asked what the f**k he wants them to do about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Johnboy needs to get a spare key programmed for a C-Max. Going through Ford main dealer channels could cost over £200 for a job that literally takes 5 mins - that is if you have access to the appropriate programming equipment.

Anyone know anyone in the trade who could help with this?

8 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Johnboy needs to get a spare key programmed for a C-Max. Going through Ford main dealer channels could cost over £200 for a job that literally takes 5 mins - that is if you have access to the appropriate programming equipment.

The cost of replacement/re-programmed keys is quite eye-watering these days, for most manufactureers, if you go to a main delaer.

If you google replacement keys locally , you'll usually come up with several independent specalists who'll do the job for much less.  Price also

depending on whether they come to you, out in the outback, on a dark night..., or whether you go to them with your car, to have a spare made up. 

10 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

The cost of replacement/re-programmed keys is quite eye-watering these days, for most manufactureers, if you go to a main delaer.

If you google replacement keys locally , you'll usually come up with several independent specalists who'll do the job for much less.  Price also

depending on whether they come to you, out in the outback, on a dark night..., or whether you go to them with your car, to have a spare made up. 

Think that Timpson does it but not sure how much.

Is that the machine that car thieves use when they stand outside your front door with it and after a few seconds the wanted car starts up?

3 minutes ago, supermik said:

Think that Timpson does it but not sure how much.

Is that the machine that car thieves use when they stand outside your front door with it and after a few seconds the wanted car starts up?

Probably.

Instead of asking if anyone on here knows anyone in the motor trade who could help me with this, I probably should have asked if anyone on here knows any car thieves.

Someone years ago once told me locks on car doors just keep honest people out!

Timpson can cut car keys but not re-programme smart key fobs.

Doing some work involving removing engine mount things and I noticed on some of the bolts that were a pain to take out they were caked in a dusty chalky looking layer, while the ones that came out fine were still silvery. What's the cause of that? Anything I can do when putting them back in to make it easier for me next time?
Put copper slip or some other anti seize compound on each of the bolts before putting them back in.

On 01/06/2021 at 15:49, paranoid android said:

Should it be difficult/expensive to fit a new starter motor in an automatic car? (Honda Civic)

Did you get any joy mate?

Let me know if you need a price on a starter and what the labour costs should be and I'll check it at work.

12 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

Did you get any joy mate?

Let me know if you need a price on a starter and what the labour costs should be and I'll check it at work.

Cheers, bud.  :)

The mechanic I go to said the part is a bit dearer than expected, and there's labour on top as well, as you say.

I reckon my brakes need looking at, and I definitely need a tyre  or two.

It's basically a rust bucket anyway, and it only just scraped through its MOT last August.

Reading between the lines, my mechanic is basically saying it's not worth spending any cash on - a different mechanic said similar the year before last year's MOT.

Think it's ready for the scrappy, and time to get another motor.

It's been a great motor for me, so I cannae complain - farewell, sweet prince! :bairn  ;)

Edited by paranoid android

I’ve booked and paid for 2 new tyres from kwik fit. Just read the email small print and it says to make sure the locking wheel nut is readily available for them. Unfortunately I don’t have one. Will they still be able to do the tyres? 
If you have a locking wheel nut on your wheels you will need the socket. It may be in the spare wheel in the boot or you may not have any anyway. Look at each wheel and see if a normal socket loosens all of them.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’ve booked and paid for 2 new tyres from kwik fit. Just read the email small print and it says to make sure the locking wheel nut is readily available for them. Unfortunately I don’t have one. Will they still be able to do the tyres? 

I made the mistake of chucking mine away, didn't know what the fucker was. When I went to get my tyre changed the garage couldn't take the wheel off. I went to Peugeot for a replacement and they were charging a ridiculous fee. In the end I took it to Halfords and they charged about £50 to break the lot of them. Now a set of pliers does the job.

Recently damaged my socket and wouldn't work on the locking wheel nuts. Used the company nuts off, they got the problem sorted in about 10 minutes, replaced the locking nuts with standard fit. Think it was between 15 and 20 pounds per wheel

1 hour ago, MacDuffman said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If you have a locking wheel nut on your wheels you will need the socket. It may be in the spare wheel in the boot or you may not have any anyway. Look at each wheel and see if a normal socket loosens all of them.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

I made the mistake of chucking mine away, didn't know what the fucker was. When I went to get my tyre changed the garage couldn't take the wheel off. I went to Peugeot for a replacement and they were charging a ridiculous fee. In the end I took it to Halfords and they charged about £50 to break the lot of them. Now a set of pliers does the job.

1 hour ago, ac2907 said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Recently damaged my socket and wouldn't work on the locking wheel nuts. Used the company nuts off, they got the problem sorted in about 10 minutes, replaced the locking nuts with standard fit. Think it was between 15 and 20 pounds per wheel

Cheer guys. I usually take it to a garage in town and they do it no problem. Dont know if they have their own nut or something but the mechanic there has never asked me for one. Hopefully there wont be any problems at kwik.fit but knowing my luck there will be an issue regarding it :(

Cheer guys. I usually take it to a garage in town and they do it no problem. Dont know if they have their own nut or something but the mechanic there has never asked me for one. Hopefully there wont be any problems at kwik.fit but knowing my luck there will be an issue regarding it [emoji20]
If they have no problem getting it off then the socket must be in the car or you may not even have locking wheel nuts they may just be standard.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:
4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Cheer guys. I usually take it to a garage in town and they do it no problem. Dont know if they have their own nut or something but the mechanic there has never asked me for one. Hopefully there wont be any problems at kwik.fit but knowing my luck there will be an issue regarding it emoji20.png

If they have no problem getting it off then the socket must be in the car or you may not even have locking wheel nuts they may just be standard.

I'm guessing it might just be standard ones as my car is a 06 banger 😂