Car advice

I've always found these companies that offer really cheap MOTs are looking to fail your car and I'm sure there was a watchdog thing about one of them making up work that wasn't needed.

I'd always reccomend taking to a local garage, also means you're helping out a local business instead of these massive companies.

We got an auto the other week, going very well except intermittently it'll jolt when trying to pull away. As in, usually it'll start to roll forward itself very smoothly when you're in traffic and come off the break but if not it'll just rev and then jump into forward movement. Is this just part of getting used to an auto or is that something I should be getting checked? 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

I've always found these companies that offer really cheap MOTs are looking to fail your car and I'm sure there was a watchdog thing about one of them making up work that wasn't needed.

I'd always reccomend taking to a local garage, also means you're helping out a local business instead of these massive companies.

Fairly recent anonymous reviews back this up, yeah. I always go to the same fairly small independent garage near me tbh, they never rip the arse out of it at MOT time (almost always sails through but if there is anything it'll be just brake pads or advisories on the tyre tread or something), same one my mum and dad go to and all.

"Former KwitFit (and Halfords Autocentres) employee here.
They're still doing it, the pressure from corporate to beat targets month on month is fucking immense. If you don't beat your targets (not meet, you need to beat last months number, every month) two months in the trot you get a visit from head office and they send some monkey down to watch you work from the MOT observation area. He'll then tell you that you need to upsell on EVERYTHING.
At Halfords they had a red/yellow/green rating thing where red is dangerous, yellow is reccomended and green is safe. If you don't sell someone on a yellow, it gets marked on your long term review. ALL chain garages are scam artists. All of them. No exceptions."

"Former Halfords worker here. Only worked there 6 months, absolutely terrible company. Shit wages and workload and they really shafted the customers, every car that came in to the workshop got a good going over to look for work. Even if it was just a bulb replacement you had to put it on the ramp and take the wheels off and measure brakes and check all the suspension, basically give it a fucking full mot while the customer was sitting waiting and wondering why it was taking half an hour for a bulb."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I had my tyres swapped for my winter ones, and then back again last month. Every time I start the car though, it asks me to check the power steering. I turn the wheels fully left and right and the warning goes off. But it's annoying every time I start to have it. 

My favourite sales attempt was when the wee plastic "cable" that kept the petrol cap attached to the car had snapped, and when my car went in for its service, they offered to replace it for 50 quid.
I had a Saab 93 aero which had a slight blow in the flexi, the guy at qwik fit tried to sell me a full system for something like £500 when I told him not to bother he told me to drive about with the roof down everywhere otherwise I'd die from all the exhaust gases getting into the car [emoji23]

21 hours ago, keithgy said:

Stuck my DS3 on Gumtree for £2150 and got a message within 10 mins saying £1500 can pick up now,no chance was the answer.

As a matter of interest, how was your experience of owning the DS3..., expensive problems, niggles, general reliability.. ?

Is yours a diesel, or petrol.

I run a Yaris, 2006. Solid, reliable, so far.  Interesting, and enjoyable to drive.., not very.

49 minutes ago, beefybake said:

As a matter of interest, how was your experience of owning the DS3..., expensive problems, niggles, general reliability.. ?

Is yours a diesel, or petrol.

I run a Yaris, 2006. Solid, reliable, so far.  Interesting, and enjoyable to drive.., not very.

It has been a decent car,only thing i have done is pads and discs all round and for the MOT a couple of broken springs.I have the 1.6 Diesel and it is brilliant on fuel.

It is well spec'd as well with Bluetooth,parking sensors and stop/start

Edited by keithgy

On 14/04/2021 at 18:54, supermik said:

Bought an Astra last week for work use. 62 plate. Radio console has a phone button, steering wheel has controls for operating a phone. Radio has no Bluetooth facility so phone has no connection! 🤔

I had an Astra years ago, an 06 plate and it had all the buttons for the phone etc, but didn't have the functionality.  I think they just stick them in as standard whether you had them or not.

I’m buying a 70 plate ex-demo car on a 4 year PCP deal at about 85% of its list price as new. 
Should I bother with GAP insurance?
What kind of car is it? If its something likely to hold its value I probably wouldn't bother. If it depreciates like a stone then gap insurance might be worth the peace of mind.

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
43 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:
I’m buying a 70 plate ex-demo car on a 4 year PCP deal at about 85% of its list price as new. 
Should I bother with GAP insurance?

What kind of car is it? If its something likely to hold its value I probably wouldn't bother. If it depreciates like a stone then gap insurance might be worth the peace of mind.

VW Golf

On 18/04/2021 at 12:09, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

We got an auto the other week, going very well except intermittently it'll jolt when trying to pull away. As in, usually it'll start to roll forward itself very smoothly when you're in traffic and come off the break but if not it'll just rev and then jump into forward movement. Is this just part of getting used to an auto or is that something I should be getting checked? 

I had a juddering issue with my Hyundai i40 when it was pulling away. It had to be sorted under warranty because the gears were a bit fucked (stop me if I'm getting too technical). Anyway, there isn't much you can do about the gears so it can hardly be put down to something you've done. Depending on the age of the car, I'd get it back to the dealer and looked at. Mine was intermittent too but would have been expensive if I'd had to stump up for it 

15 minutes ago, HTG said:

I had a juddering issue with my Hyundai i40 when it was pulling away. It had to be sorted under warranty because the gears were a bit fucked (stop me if I'm getting too technical). Anyway, there isn't much you can do about the gears so it can hardly be put down to something you've done. Depending on the age of the car, I'd get it back to the dealer and looked at. Mine was intermittent too but would have been expensive if I'd had to stump up for it 

Aye we've got 3 month warranty on parts and are about a month in. It's a fairly old but fairly low mileage car and just running it regularly seems to have improved it a lot. If we're still having any issue with it after another couple of weeks we'll take it in. Cheers to you and @Pato for the advice