9 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Anyone had a BMW X1? My work car is due to be changed in 2 weeks for something brand new, and the MD sent me an e-mail to ask if an X1 or 1 series is something of interest? I'll be honest I cant even think  if I've seen any X1 on the road, which tells me all I need to know about being memorable..  Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Like all BMWs it will come without indicators and be driven by an arsehole. 😁

23 hours ago, strichener said:

Collecting a new car is an allowable exception.  The exception doesn't state brand new so you can always interpret it as "new to me"!

1) In Scotland, whilst outdoor vehicle lots can remain open, they can only remain open to pick up cars that have been purchased. @Empty It has not decided whether to purchase the car yet - he's just going to examine it. 

2) As the car is a private sale, it's not likely to be on an outdoor vehicle lot anyway

3) Accordingly, he would have to satisfy one of the exceptions to the restrictions on movement. One possible example would be if he needed this specific vehicle for work purposes. 

If he takes your advice, and is stopped, at best the cops will turn him round and send him home with a warning. 

On 04/03/2021 at 12:41, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Anyone had a BMW X1? My work car is due to be changed in 2 weeks for something brand new, and the MD sent me an e-mail to ask if an X1 or 1 series is something of interest? I'll be honest I cant even think  if I've seen any X1 on the road, which tells me all I need to know about being memorable..  Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

You've maybe bought one now, but there's a reason they're not popular. We've had 3 obliterate their transfer boxes because the owner didn't change all 4 tyres at once.

Shit, weak, cars.

On a happier note, there's a global shortage on glass batteries as they've run out of some mineral they need to make them. Every electric car, or car with start stop, is meant to use these batteries. So great fun awaits.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've maybe bought one now, but there's a reason they're not popular. We've had 3 obliterate their transfer boxes because the owner didn't change all 4 tyres at once.

Shit, weak, cars.

On a happier note, there's a global shortage on glass batteries as they've run out of some mineral they need to make them. Every electric car, or car with start stop, is meant to use these batteries. So great fun awaits.

I've not bought heehaw yet! It was one of the cars the MD suggested but my car's not due to be changed for a fortnight so I think it's looking at what the leasing company have to offer within the budget just now. The new Passat is looking like the most reliable option ATM 

Best place to buy a car radio? not keen on Halfrauds but will go there if needs must.

12 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've not bought heehaw yet! It was one of the cars the MD suggested but my car's not due to be changed for a fortnight so I think it's looking at what the leasing company have to offer within the budget just now. The new Passat is looking like the most reliable option ATM 

Try to convince them to go for the i-pace.  Beautiful car to drive and cheap as chips to run as a company car.

Best place to buy a car radio? not keen on Halfrauds but will go there if needs must.
Roughly what area are you in; someone might know a local place that's good....

Roughly what area are you in; someone might know a local place that's good....
East Lothian/Edinburgh

Got the old “your Hyundai is going to go on fire, best get it to the garage” letter year yer day.
Not heard of this. I assume you've to get it to the garage for them to repair at their cost?

23 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Got the old “your Hyundai is going to go on fire, best get it to the garage” letter year yer day.

Not heard of this. I assume you've to get it to the garage for them to repair at their cost?

Aye. ABS wiring issue on 2015-2021 Tucsons.

The advice was “don’t park your car in a garage”.

lol

Saw it in some Ozzy press in January but is obviously affecting models here as well.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

On 13/03/2021 at 10:34, Melanius Mullarkey said:

lol

Saw it in some Ozzy press in January but is obviously affecting models here as well.

Used to enjoy getting these. Only time the car got washed and hovered 

lol
Cheers. Must be costing them a fortune.

Need bit of advice. At the moment im out a job, I dont have a car and skint. If I get a job soon, I'm looking at getting car.  I have some savings but reluctant to use on a car, possibly I could take £1000 out. What would be the best idea? Take out a bank loan and buy a car, say a £3000 car or finance a car ? Either way its a mugs game. 

Or buy a banger for £1000.

Need bit of advice. At the moment im out a job, I dont have a car and skint. If I get a job soon, I'm looking at getting car.  I have some savings but reluctant to use on a car, possibly I could take £1000 out. What would be the best idea? Take out a bank loan and buy a car, say a £3000 car or finance a car ? Either way its a mugs game. 
Banger 100% buy a £500 car with a years MOT. That's what I done for years and loved some of those bangers.

28 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

In a garage recently picking up my new (not so new now) van. They were punting new Corsas at £99 deposit, £99 per month. No unexpected repair bills etc - your older £1000-£3000 car could end up costing much more to keep it going. 

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Banger 100% buy a £500 car with a years MOT. That's what I done for years and loved some of those bangers.

Make sure you ask to see the V5 as they now tell you if the car has been an insurance write off on the front of it,if it does then don't dismiss it straight away just gives you a good tool to get money off.My car i have just now was a CAT S and i got it for half the price it was worth on a forecourt as it needed a wing,door and sill after a bump.

3 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Would lean towards buying for £1000 tbh, taking out a loan to make up the difference at that level might leave you in a situation where you have to pay for unexpected leaks etc. to keep the car running anyway, and you'll still have the debt to service. Buying the £1000 from savings without any loans or financing would also mean that you've got an option to maybe maintain the £1000 motor for as long as you can and then maybe loan £2000 for another car once that one dies??

Going off a handy wee car guide I've found and use for inspiration, you could still maybe get an old VW Golf or VW Jetta, the TDI drivetrain on some of 'em is meant to be indestructible and might also not hurt your pocket too badly on fuelling them/road tax either. edit: oh wait does it not go by the age of your car now for the road tax, would need to double check that... might be better just looking at nice small petrol stuff rather than any older diesels?

older ford focus or fiesta's seemingly a bit dodgy if you get an automatic transmission so get a manual if you go for one of those.

Toyota Yaris or Corolla might be an option also, older Civic's are meant to be really tough built too.

Not on the guide I use but a friend of mine does his own car DIY as he's a time served mechanic, got an early 2000's model Audi S3 hatchback for about £1250 that he loves fairly recently so as Empty It says you can potentially strike lucky and get a lot of enjoyment out of a car even at that price.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

If you’re going the banger route, buy privately. If you go through a garage there needs to be a near £1000 mark-up to justify their costs in selling it. And if they’re selling it for £1000, well....

I’m with Shandon Par. If it’s for work you need something utterly dependable. One day’s wage a month goes towards the car payment. If anything goes wrong with your banger, which it will, regularly, you’ll rarely get it back from the garage with it having cost less to fix. And then you’ve got consumables like tyres etc. Financially, the £99 Corsa wins hands down IMO. 

12 hours ago, Shandon Par Decorator said:

In a garage recently picking up my new (not so new now) van. They were punting new Corsas at £99 deposit, £99 per month. No unexpected repair bills etc - your older £1000-£3000 car could end up costing much more to keep it going. 

Yes but they are also Corsa’s, which are Vauxhall’s which in my experience are cheap and not always cheerful.

9 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Going off a handy wee car guide I've found and use for inspiration, you could still maybe get an old VW Golf or VW Jetta, the TDI drivetrain on some of 'em is meant to be indestructible and might also not hurt your pocket too badly on fuelling them/road tax either. edit: oh wait does it not go by the age of your car now for the road tax, would need to double check that... might be better just looking at nice small petrol stuff rather than any older diesels?

Toyota Yaris or Corolla might be an option also, older Civic's are meant to be really tough built too.

Not on the guide I use but a friend of mine does his own car DIY as he's a time served mechanic, got an early 2000's model Audi S3 hatchback for about £1250 that he loves fairly recently so as Empty It says you can potentially strike lucky and get a lot of enjoyment out of a car even at that price.

@Ekhibee88 This post above is good advice IMO. I’d even go as far as to say you’d possibly end up with a better, more reliable and sturdy motor even looking at 10 year old cars from some of the German and Japanese manufacturers. Not to say there will be any issues buying something newer from the likes of Vauxhall or Ford but the difference in build quality is night and day.