Car advice

Mates car is fucked (hole in the gearbox apparently) looking at £3k to fix (4 years old). It's still on a pcp deal. I don't have much more detail than that, but how likely is it that his insurance could cover it in some way? Will check if he has gap insurance, but the car isn't a write off

1 hour ago, deej said:

Mates car is fucked (hole in the gearbox apparently) looking at £3k to fix (4 years old). It's still on a pcp deal. I don't have much more detail than that, but how likely is it that his insurance could cover it in some way? Will check if he has gap insurance, but the car isn't a write off

Warranty?

10 hours ago, deej said:

dunno if it was covered a page or two back on the thread tbf but i would guess it depends how the hole in the gearbox got there!

if it's PCP is there not maybe a way to just speak to whoever its with and explain the circumstances, maybe cancel that contract/stop paying for a fucked car and get another one in its place? i guess the t's and c's cover what happens if the car is damaged, dunno what any industry standard would be there unfortunately but a little reading at it might help your mate out a bit.

also - i may be mistaken but as its PCP your mate doesn't have ownership of the car yet anyway so it's a bigger problem at the owner's end to get it fixed surely? they can't sell it/get anyone else to take on the contract until they sort it out and its not a write off?

8 hours ago, RH33 said:

Warranty?

i think if its a standard warranty it'd only cover 3 years/first 70,000 or so miles

17 hours ago, RH33 said:

Warranty?

Unfortunately not

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

dunno if it was covered a page or two back on the thread tbf but i would guess it depends how the hole in the gearbox got there!

if it's PCP is there not maybe a way to just speak to whoever its with and explain the circumstances, maybe cancel that contract/stop paying for a fucked car and get another one in its place? i guess the t's and c's cover what happens if the car is damaged, dunno what any industry standard would be there unfortunately but a little reading at it might help your mate out a bit.

also - i may be mistaken but as its PCP your mate doesn't have ownership of the car yet anyway so it's a bigger problem at the owner's end to get it fixed surely? they can't sell it/get anyone else to take on the contract until they sort it out and its not a write off?

i think if its a standard warranty it'd only cover 3 years/first 70,000 or so miles

Cheers, will see what he says. Yeah as its PCP he doesn't own it, so likely they'll be able to do something, even if it costs him a chunk and ties him in for a few more years. 

19 hours ago, deej said:

His insurance won't cover any mechanical damage that hasn't been caused by an accident. 

On 17/03/2021 at 16:17, beefybake said:

£500 for  a car, any car..., with a years MOT was the traditional 'banger' starting point.   Nowadays, at £500 , that will generally get you something that needs work soon, MOT or no MOT. 

I'd steer clear of older VW's, Skodas, Seat's.    The  TDI 1.9 engines ( ie the PD versions )  are bulletproof.  Unfortunately, the Achilles heel on older VAG group cars is the electrics.

In your position, I'd aim for a basic car.   A Yaris, pehaps.  Or any one of Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, or Toyota Aygo.  The latter three are all the same car, and are all built in the same factory as part of a joint venture, using Toyota production methods.   There's zillions of them around, they are cheap to run and reliable.  They're also quite fun to drive.

I have a 2006 Yaris Mk2 1.0.    The engine is the same as what's in the C1, 107 and Aygo.  Currently shows 52mpg as an average running around figure, on the trip computer.

The Yaris is a step up from the other three in the quality of the 'trimmings', but not the basic mechanicals.  I paid just under £1000 on eBay last summer for mine, at which price,

I mentally budgeted in another £300 'ish to do odds and sods.  New brake discs, pads on the front. Rear silencer box.  Nothing major.

For anyone of a saving disposition, I'd just stay miles away from finance, and contracts.   A small bank loan would be the max, I'd ever borrow.

How about somewhere around £750 from your stash, plus the same again from a bank loan ?

Suggest you read up, and learn the weak and strong points of whatever make/model you're interested in, and in particular if you're buying private

take a friend/someone who knows what to look for,  won't be impressed by shiny paintwork alone, and won't get lost in the moment of urge to purchase..

Good point re old VW's.  I had an old Golf, with the SDI engine (non-turbo diesel and was slower than wind erosion).  I ran that thing into the ground, mechanically it was an absolute beast. 

So frustrating that it was the little things like the brake light switch under the pedal failing, so the brake lights stayed permanently on etc, one speaker not working etc. Eventually things like that made me get rid of it.

The Mrs is finally looking to pass her test, and she would be too much to insure on my car/I dont want her driving it :lol:, so in the market for a modest 2nd hand hatchback myself.

On 23/03/2021 at 12:15, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

After some negotiations with work, I'll be getting a Skoda Karoq as my new company car. Anyone had one of these at all?

Yup. Nothing spectacular but it's decently equipped, solid and reliable. Can't complain

4 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

His insurance won't cover any mechanical damage that hasn't been caused by an accident. 

Yeah that's what I thought, I have asked if he's considered papping it into a lamp post but he didn't seem too keen 

16 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

PCP and lease are slightly different in this regard. With PCP, you do pretty much own it, in the same way that you own a car you buy on HP. It's not a perfect comparison, but hire purchase is like buying a house on a repayment mortgage, PCP is buying on an interest only mortgage, and leasing is renting.

Something draining the car battery when it's not running, definitely not the alternator as the car is charging fine when driving. Any ideas?

I had that problem a few years ago. It turned out to be the light in the boot was on all the time and it drained the battery over a few days. Pulled the bulb out and it sorted the problem. It’s finding it in the first place was the biggest headache.

On 26/03/2021 at 19:36, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Car into Vauxhall for a service earlier in the week, turns out the rear silencer has blown, quote from Vauxhall to replace just the rear silencer, £800 (eight hundred).

Needless to say I didn't get them to go ahead with that.

Looked up the price of an aftermarket silencer for a 2014 insignia 1.8- £136.00. on Eurocarparts.

Maybe they quote for vauxhall original parts in short supply for an out of production model?

Easy job to do at home, as well.

Looked up the price of an aftermarket silencer for a 2014 insignia 1.8- £136.00. on Eurocarparts.
Maybe they quote for vauxhall original parts in short supply for an out of production model?
Easy job to do at home, as well.

Ended up getting a cat back replacement from Cobra for half the price so happy enough with that.