Car advice

2 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Not sure where Ross puts his baby in that set up!

Well you don't have to take all of them out. There are three individual rear seats so many combinations of seat in, out, forward, back, or folded are available. They are very versatile IMO. 4wd option too  if that is needed. 

I think they are great. They're not for everyone. Some people will buy a fashionable SUV thing which is probably less capable than the hatchback it's based on :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

Is buying a Touran an admission that I am a middle aged mess? Is there a comparable car that would not make the same admission? Am I admitting it no matter what similar car I buy, and what would anyone recommend instead of a Touran?

The Polo isn’t really cutting it for boot space and I want something I can fit a Thule bike trailer into, as we are now tending to use that as a buggy more than we are an actual buggy.

Actually, without being flippant, where you’re headed - being a Swiss banker and all - is an E Class Mercedes estate.

5 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
6 hours ago, Ross. said:
Is buying a Touran an admission that I am a middle aged mess? Is there a comparable car that would not make the same admission? Am I admitting it no matter what similar car I buy, and what would anyone recommend instead of a Touran?
The Polo isn’t really cutting it for boot space and I want something I can fit a Thule bike trailer into, as we are now tending to use that as a buggy more than we are an actual buggy.

I would always go for an estate rather than an MPV/SUV. Have you thought about a Passat?

Second this. I went car shopping last year for a family-friendly type thing, fully expecting to roll home in a Tuscan or similar but ended up with a Passat when I saw the space difference.

10 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Actually, without being flippant, where you’re headed - being a Swiss banker and all - is an E Class Mercedes estate.

I don’t want to be a banker for the rest of my life. I’m happy to forego the “look at me” price tag for something functional and reasonably priced. Given the service cost for a Polo, I don’t even want to think what they’d be charging for a Merc.

My Dad bought a pre reg touran 1.9 tdi in 2006, it's still in the family now with over 160k on it.

I've had it for holidays, one of my brothers for a few months and now my other brother has it full of decorating stuff. It's never broken down (jinx) and is still going strong.

They're great solid, no frills, plain old ronseal motoring.

I had a golf estate 1.9 tdi with 70k on it when it broke a piston. The car was comfy enough, but the touran was much better when loaded up with a family of 5 and gear.

I'm driving a 2016 grand cmax and had a 2006 cmax a few cars before that.

If its space you're after, the grand cmax, s max and galaxy are good options. They're also great to drive

My Dad bought a pre reg touran 1.9 tdi in 2006, it's still in the family now with over 160k on it.

I've had it for holidays, one of my brothers for a few months and now my other brother has it full of decorating stuff. It's never broken down (jinx) and is still going strong.

They're great solid, no frills, plain old ronseal motoring.

I had a golf estate 1.9 tdi with 70k on it when it broke a piston. The car was comfy enough, but the touran was much better when loaded up with a family of 5 and gear.

12 minutes ago, HTG said:

I'm thinking about getting a Mercedes e class. Anybody got one and able to list the pros and cons?

I’ve had four over the years.  Brilliant driving experience but absolutely no use in this weather.  Very comfortable, well equipped and solid.  The rear wheel drive is the only major negative that I can think of,one minor one is that the rear seats do no fold down.

If you’re getting a new one and can afford it go for the 4WD.  That would be my ultimate drive outwith winning the lottery.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve had four over the years.  Brilliant driving experience but absolutely no use in this weather.  Very comfortable, well equipped and solid.  The rear wheel drive is the only major negative that I can think of,one minor one is that the rear seats do no fold down.

If you’re getting a new one and can afford it go for the 4WD.  That would be my ultimate drive outwith winning the lottery.

Cheers. It'll be used so I'll limit my snow driving ambitions on days like this and use the wee car if needed. 

Got a new car being delivered next week and have part-exchanged my current one. Had a look online but still a bit unclear, do I keep any part of the V5 for my current one or just give them the whole document? Do I need to fill anything out?
I handed my car into Arnold Clark a few months ago and don't recall having to do anything. I think you just give them the V5 for your current car and they'll do the rest.